Maintenance

7 replies to this topic
  • danny840_00

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:48 AM

Hi Guys. I recently bought a 2004 wr450f. I just want to know the best way to stop blowing the top end and having to fork out anything between £800-£1500. Is a oil change the best way to avoid it?

• boer

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:11 AM

From what I have learnt so far here is to keep to regular oil changes and air filter cleaning. Make sure your valve clearances are in spec and your jetting is not too lean or rich. And finally ride sensibly (don't load the engine too much when cold, don't over rev too often, don't run overheated etc etc):worthy:

• danny840_00

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:28 AM

Cheers for that it should save me some money!!! How do you check your valve clearence?

• Jackazz

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:28 AM

What that guy above said. Also keep in mind this is a 4 stroke, it doesn't need rebuilt all the time like a smoker does.:worthy:

Edit: Man I post slow...

for the valve clearances, use the search, or DL one of the PDF manuals from the sticky thread at the top. It's a pretty easy procedure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • danny840_00

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:29 AM

oh and what about your jetting. how do you do that?

• danny840_00

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:31 AM

cheers for that man. how oftern should you check these?

• Jackazz

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:42 AM

cheers for that man. how oftern should you check these?

That seems to be a point of debate, especially since most people who check them tend to find them in spec, or extremely close to being so. Personally, I figure better safe than sorry, I'd do as the manual recommends.

FYI, I believe the sticky thread at the top has a link to a good jetting thread, & other helpfull stuff as well.:worthy:

• GCannon

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Read the Stickies at the top of this forum. All of them. Then download a free service manual as suggested earlier. Then read the manual.
With a lot of reading you will learn many things "Grasshopper"

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.