Blue Bikes making a huge comeback

24 replies to this topic
  • Drfletcherdc

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:27 AM

Last week I was at the local track (Speedworld) and I noticed there were more blue bikes than red ones. The gap Yamaha closed on the 06 450 must have been huge. The next day I took my kids to Canyon MX and the same thing, a ton of blue bikes. It is awesome. Two years ago when I first started to ride, it was nothing but Hondas. Has anyone else notice the changing of the guard? :worthy:

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:30 AM

I havn't noticed yet b/c I'm stuck here in rural Arkansas but I'll be traveling to Wortham, Tx for the Freestone MX race for the first round of the Texas Winter Series -

I'll be there on my 07 YZ 450 and I do hope I see a sea of blue!

• Ga426owner

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:03 AM

I think that a lot of former Honda owners realize the 06/07 Yami is as good or better than the CRF's as well as they got sick and tired of their bikes looking like everyone elses....The Honda 05 - 07 is basically the same bike with numerous improvements yada yada yada...I do believe a lot of the converts got tired of various maintenence issues and constant rebuilding of valve trains
Either way - I am glad to see more yamis out there to.....it is good for yami revenues.....:worthy:

• Reyndogg

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:18 AM

I rode about 10 laps on a 05 CRF450 the other day and got along fine with it. It did have a FMF Q pipe, so it sounded like a stock DRZ400 (read: gross!), but it was still fun to ride. There are subtle differences that make me like my 06 YZ450F quite a bit more, though.

I chose blue over red when I bought my YZ partly based on the fact that I had a ton of YZ parts that would carry right over - ie air filters, air box boot, new galfer wave rotors, new sprocket, etc. I'm quite happy with my decision to stay with blue, that is for sure :worthy:

If i was racing in pro/a class, I would probably be riding a Honda, as last time I checked they had FAR better contingency than Yamaha at every level - especially Pro classes.

• RussFinancesHomes.com

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:59 AM

I think there are two major reasons. 1. The new YZ is as good or better. 2. The financing options available from Yamaha are much more flexible and lenient than Honda.

• Kyle Prior

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:01 AM

Its wierd, because I dont know a single Honda owner out here. I have 3 friends with YZ250Fs, me with the 426, and 2 friends with 450s... Hondas arent thast popular for my group I guess.

• 700MX

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:22 AM

[quote name='If i was racing in pro/a class, I would probably be riding a Honda, as last time I checked they had FAR better contingency than Yamaha at every level - especially Pro classes.[/QUOTE']

In CO Yami is way better in the pro for payout! It is a big reason i switched from CRF. I have heard it varies quite a bit from state to state!

• SurvivorMan

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:57 AM

I would guess it is a result of expensive maintenance issues, the yami is just more reliable. This will also be the trend in the return of 2 strokes, IMO. They are very simple, cheap and easy to fix/maintain and we are running into many sound issues now only because the thumper sound travels further then the smoker, so many tracks a zero complaints 10 years ago and now every track is getting flack.

once there have been enough $3000 repair bills passed around, then it will start happening. Not all of us have the mechanical ability to tear down a 4stroke, however, the smoker takes little brains, just some greesy knuckles and the worst repair bill is around $400....here's to keeping it simple!

• 30-A rider

Posted November 29, 2006 - 12:14 PM

Just an observation from a Yamaha owner so dont flame me. But the track I was at this past weekend here in the Florida Panahandle...where contingency money doesnt count as track as of right now doesnt offer racing yet....everyone was riding red. From the CRF150's to the 450's. There were even more Green 4 strokes than blue bikes!...and about the same number of Yellow and Blue. Sorry but I think the mindset that Honda always builds a better bike, promotes people to continually buy RED. Again just an observation; me personally I went blue cause I Yamaha started building the 4 stroke MX bikes first and assumed the guy wiht the most expereince will build the most bullet proof bike.

• Ganadore

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:48 PM

All my bike purchases are based off reliability. All of our air cooled bikes are Honda which I never had trouble with in 30 years (probably 2 dozen bikes in all). If I were to buy another, it would likely be another Honda. However, with water cooled bikes, I purchase Yamaha's. I want to ride my bikes, not spend all my time repairing them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Reyndogg

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:45 PM

In CO Yami is way better in the pro for payout! It is a big reason i switched from CRF. I have heard it varies quite a bit from state to state!

That's interesting, isn't it? I wonder how the powers that be decide where to throw their contingency monies :worthy:

Not that it matters for a +30 rider all that much :D lol

• Drfletcherdc

Posted November 29, 2006 - 09:48 PM

That's interesting, isn't it? I wonder how the powers that be decide where to throw their contingency monies :worthy:

Not that it matters for a +30 rider all that much :D lol

Sometimes I think we are the ones that get overlooked the most. After all we are the ones with the money. :prof:

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2006 - 10:41 PM

...we are the ones with the money. :worthy:

....and since we have some, why should Yamaha give us any, rather than having us spend it?

• BergArabia

Posted November 30, 2006 - 03:15 AM

Dubai was pretty much a red city until this last year. One of the sales guys at the local Yamaha dealer has been entering races and winning.. And the ground has been shifting. Blue is flying out the door now that they have those trophies in the front window..

The raptors and banshees have always dominated the quad scene here which is way bigger than the MX thing so it has been quite easy to get the buyers to move over. I hate to admit it but that is inspite of the dealer service which I think is better at Honda here. The blue bikes just seem to be a hotter item here now..

• Fastest1

Posted November 30, 2006 - 06:10 AM

I used to bleed Red exclusively, then I raced an R6 in a RR series. It was a sharply honed race bike out of the crate not a good all around bike like a CBR. It made me curious enough that when I was looking for a dirt bike, I considered the Blue. I dont regret it for a minute! AND when someone makes a dirtbike with electric start, fuel injection, great brakes, suspension and lightweight, I will probably buy that color after 2 years of durability testing! I hate 1st year models.

• mrtwilcox

Posted November 30, 2006 - 06:40 AM

out here in the san francisco bay area its still mostly red but there are more blue , yellow ,white ,yamies showing up each day:applause:

• motobeck

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:03 AM

This is just my 2cents, but I think the local dealerships have a lot to do with it. The better shops in this area sell mostly red and green bikes so there seems to be a lot of them around. I however, bleed blue so I'm forced to deal with less than desirable sales, service, and parts people at the Yami shop. Oh well, it's the price we pay to have the best!

• huffster

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:09 AM

Honda sales of the CRF-450 continue to hold about a 40% share of sales across the country according to the MIC data...Say what you want, but the Honda 450 is the best selling bike....PERIOD !

I've owned 2 YZF's, one was a turd and the other a good bike...MY 2003 CRF450 is still on stock piston and valves have never needed shimming or replacement...Not sure where all these rumors of "constant" rebuilding of the valve train come from. ???

• motobeck

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:35 AM

Honda sales of the CRF-450 continue to hold about a 40% share of sales across the country according to the MIC data...Say what you want, but the Honda 450 is the best selling bike....PERIOD !

I've owned 2 YZF's, one was a turd and the other a good bike...MY 2003 CRF450 is still on stock piston and valves have never needed shimming or replacement...Not sure where all these rumors of "constant" rebuilding of the valve train come from. ???

You've been lucky! I'm not saying the Honda is a bad bike... always enjoy riding my buddies. However, one has an '03 which has had the intake vavles replaced twice, and we just did my other friends '04 two weeks ago. All were mushroomed?

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:15 AM

...Not sure where all these rumors of "constant" rebuilding of the valve train come from. ???

http://www.thumperta...isplay.php?f=29

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.