Wide Open Racing The Cr500

52 replies to this topic
  • probikerguy2

Posted December 03, 2006 - 11:16 AM

i own both a cr500 and a 426 ...the cr500 is faster but not by much, the 426 has more usable power. The cr500 is made for sand no question but the 426 jumps, turns and is just as fun as any other bike in the sand.

• erikhoeflinger

Posted December 03, 2006 - 08:36 PM

yeah riding the cr on loose gravel I will rarely beat a 426 or 450 for that matter due to the fact that it won't hook up but where traction is 100% my mates 426 is left for dead usually about 50 meters behind once I'm wide open on the 500. There's only so much you can put down on the dirt before more power becomes useless.

• kid on a 426

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:08 PM

Well I rode a 490 and I garrantee my stock 426 could own one. It's not the pull on your arms that makes it hard to hold on but the VIBRATION is murder on my calluses. I went about 6 seconds wide open from 1st to 3rd or 4th and I felt my hands slipping off right before I shut off not because it was ripping my arms off but my fingers were losing the grip from the vibration. Also the 490 when decellerating it like surges forward at random times. I have never personally ridden a cr500 but I've watched dozens of them go up hills and my bike wouldnt stand a chance because they hit so much harder.

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:43 PM

The CR490 was an awful bike. It's so different, even from the earliest CR500's, that it may as well have been made by someone else.

• dwnlowx

Posted December 07, 2006 - 09:42 PM

i have a 04 yzf 450 and a yz 250 2 stroke and a 87 cr 500 and nothing comes close to the 450 at all i have raced alot of bikes and the 500 just spins the tire in the dirt its not usable power the suspension sucks and thats just it now a 450 with cams and a high comp piston and good suspension will kill any 500 ive seen it to many times

• Bigcr

Posted December 08, 2006 - 07:24 AM

i have a 04 yzf 450 and a yz 250 2 stroke and a 87 cr 500 and nothing comes close to the 450 at all i have raced alot of bikes and the 500 just spins the tire in the dirt its not usable power the suspension sucks and thats just it now a 450 with cams and a high comp piston and good suspension will kill any 500 ive seen it to many times

You're on glue dude....The terrain in question is SAND. Bring your 450 or any stock or modded 450 to the dunes and you'll get smoked by the 2-stroke 500's.

As much as I love my '07 YZ450 it's not even close to my KX500 in the sand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • medicman

Posted December 08, 2006 - 07:44 AM

You're on glue dude....The terrain in question is SAND. Bring your 450 or any stock or modded 450 to the dunes and you'll get smoked by the 2-stroke 500's.

As much as I love my '07 YZ450 it's not even close to my KX500 in the sand.

bigcr, what year is your kx? what are the pros and cons of the bike. ive wanted one for so long, i think iam just going to get one. i ride mostly dunes and open dez. could you give me some advice on the kx. also what do you think about the cr? thanks:thumbsup:

• Bigcr

Posted December 08, 2006 - 08:16 AM

I have a '99 KX500. The entire bike was stripped down to the frame and re-built last year. (See my garage). It's a great dune bike. I've owned 3 CR500's including 1 aluminum framed model. While I really like the ergos on the Honda, the dunes are all about motor and the KX shines in that area. As far as living with the bikes every day, the KX needs a bit more maintenence. Hondas are tough and well built. I don't mind the extra work though since I really enjoy it and when I hit 5th gear in the sand it's worth it.

• medicman

Posted December 08, 2006 - 08:23 AM

thanks for the info, when you say extra work, what kind of things to you mean?

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2006 - 09:03 AM

As far as living with the bikes every day, the KX needs a bit more maintenence. Hondas are tough and well built.

I'm not familiar with the KX, really, but the point about the CR500 is right on. At least the later ones (92 on) are absolute stones. In the time I had mine, I did nothing to it other than change the gear oil and wash the air filter.

And you can get them to run harder even than they do with some simple work, like a Boyeson reed and a top end pipe. The FMF "Gnarly" is a big favorite, but mostly because it's made of a heavier gauge metal and resists cracking better. It's a low to mid pipe. I had one of those and a Pro-Circuit mid to high pipe for it, and the PC made a, uh, difference.
Posted Image

• Bigcr

Posted December 08, 2006 - 09:20 AM

The KX is very reliable, but you have to watch the small things. Like nuts and bolts backing off due to the vibration. You must silicone the radiator louvers to the radiators or they will vibrate off. You also have to reinforce the uppermost pipe mount or it will break. Other than that, it's a great bike. I have my crank balanced and welded to cut the vibes. The cylinder is ported, the carb bored, the head milled, boyesen rad valve, and an FMF Gnarly Desert (more top end) pipe. The flywheel has been lightened as well. Needless to say, this bike flat out rips in the dunes. Would I take it in a motocross track? Hell no! That's what the YZ is for.

• Yamabro

Posted December 08, 2006 - 07:25 PM

Hi Guys

Owned a KTM 550MXC........amazing in sand and powerful is an understatement!

WR426 (with pipe and YZ timing): strong, good rev & great trail bike

KTM 525exc (with pipe, lighter flywheel, Power Vane): Outstanding combo of all the above. Powerful, Big bore torque, authorative in every way. Brother has 2006 YZF450. Also a super bike.......light, flickable, fast but a little light on torque.

Just my thoughts:ride:

• erikhoeflinger

Posted December 09, 2006 - 04:16 AM

The good thing is you can mod a 500 smoker atleast my CR very cheap and have all the power you ever need for any situation and being very aenemic in stock form you will not lose out in the reliability department in the process.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.