Wide Open Racing The Cr500

52 replies to this topic
  • 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted November 29, 2006 - 09:29 PM

I've got the 2004 Service Honda CR500AF Limited and a new white '07 YZ450F. The Honda is hands down faster, but wears me out before a moto is over. The Honda turns sharper. The Honda accelerates much harder and I typically win a side by side drag against any of the 450's. Some people just move over when they hear it coming. The Yamaha has a more forgiving frame and better stock front and rear suspension than my massaged Honda stuff. I am quicker on the Yamaha for lap times, it is easier to ride and I do not get as tired. I am not in the same shape or expert speed as I was 20 years ago, so I vote Yamaha. My gut is that a strong expert or pro could disappear on the Honda. I overestimated my come back to racing ability, but it is still a treat to ride.

Hence - Only a few and the powerful can ride a CR500 to the limits... What you say is what I would imagine...Same in a drag race or race to the top of the dune - which requires much less talent...

• BergArabia

Posted November 30, 2006 - 03:51 AM

I know you must be right about racing to the top of a dune requiring less talent because even I can do that and I do.
I have a paddle on my otherwise stock YZ450f and I have been truly stunned by its (notice I do not say mine cos I am sure I suck at racing) but I am stunned by its ability to eat up all manner of modified quads and bikes in a race up a dune.

We have a special dune deep in the desert here 'Moreeb' where the local lads race highly modified 4x4s(with turbos, superchargers, NOS, and everything they can throw in them). Quads and bikes also race there. The dune is like 250 metre high and very steep. I would estimate at least 45 degrees. Lots of cars and some quads blow up trying to get up it, but I have taken the YZ onto it and I am just amazed at how quickly the top of the dune seems to appear..

So it makes me wonder what a CR500 would be like. How much power is enough?

• Pincushion

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:55 AM

How much power is enough?

LOL.... those words are blasphemous to an American.

• BergArabia

Posted November 30, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Yeah I totally understand the need for speed thing.
We also get some sand rails out here straight ffrom socal with corvette engines in tubular aluminium frames (can you call it a chassis when it weighs less than 500 kg?).

Those things are amazing in the sand, and have amazing suspensions.

Sand does soak up the horsepower and tends to drive people to get that extra punch...

• DrThumper

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:20 AM

CR500...? I thought this was a YZ Forum?
I used to own a YZ490...man, that thing was hard to handle. Straight line, fine, but try to turn it with the gas on....Whoa! The best way to describe it is trying to ride a moose in heat! My arms are about 2" longer after I rode that bike!

• 30-A rider

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:24 AM

Really! I ve owned quite a few big bore 2 strokes including a KX500, CR500, YZ490, IT465 and a old CR480. Whomever wrote that a newer model 4 strokes could keep up with a big bore 2 smoker obviously never rode one. No comparison. Now the smokers on the othe rhand are a beast on a track, and got my *ss kicked all day long in open class compared to 2 stroke 250's and 4 stroke 450 mxers...ecen the older YZ400's on the track ate up the big bore 2 strokers for the most part on a track.

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:27 AM

It's all about traction with the CR500. Asphalt is the only surface that can really connect one to the ground, other than a chained hill climb tire. If there is something like a staggered 12 paddle, that would be the ticket.

The YZ450 is a 4-stroke single, and motorcycle people have known for more than 50 years that nothing takes a bite like a thumper, no matter what surface you're on. The looser it is, the bigger the edge they have.

• medicman

Posted November 30, 2006 - 10:54 AM

It's all about traction with the CR500. Asphalt is the only surface that can really connect one to the ground, other than a chained hill climb tire. If there is something like a staggered 12 paddle, that would be the ticket.

The YZ450 is a 4-stroke single, and motorcycle people have known for more than 50 years that nothing takes a bite like a thumper, no matter what surface you're on. The looser it is, the bigger the edge they have.

so do you think the 450 would be better in glamis?

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2006 - 11:15 AM

As an all-around, yes. Even if you never ride it anywhere else. With enough tire, the 500 can be dominant on the climbs and in drags, if that's all you do. But the bike will carve better with an 8 vs. a 10 paddle, and 8 just isn't enough to hook up the big CR effectively. Set up like that the YZ450 will do pretty much anything the 500 will and be much more versatile.

If you're into dune jumping, and have never had any air time on a CR500, let me warn you to use caution leaving the crest of any jump on one. They have such a huge amount of raw torque that they will go unexpectedly vertical with the least bit too much throttle on launch. With a heavy rear tire, you can probably almost backflip one just by gassing it after you leave the ground. The 450's are much more predictable.

Bear in mind, I had one, and I loved it. They are fantastic rides, and something everyone ought to try. But you're asking me would I trade my YZ450 for one, and that be my only bike? No.

• idahoexcr500

Posted November 30, 2006 - 12:04 PM

I owned 3 CR500s years ago (85, 88 and 89) and have spent many hours on different KX500s as well. Currently, at my advanced age I ride an 05 CRF450R. I took a couple of my CR500s to Glamis several times with paddles. For pure power the 500 is untouchable, however for most of us the 4 strokes are just so much easier to ride than the old 500 2 strokes. At Glamis nothing could touch the 500 up the big hills like Oldsmobile, it pulled that hill like it was flat ground. My Hondas all had similar traits, great turning (better than my CRF), lots of high speed headshake (which my CRF does not have), awesome brakes and great reliability. KX 500 is better in the desert, they have more overall power and much better high speed stability. However, they don't have the best brakes or turning. Both vibrate a ton and are great fun to ride for short periods of time when your arms turn into putty.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • medicman

Posted November 30, 2006 - 12:14 PM

man... I ve been thinking about getting a 500 for a while, I am tempted to get one, I just hope if I do get one that i wont be disapointed. i think my yzf426 has plenty of power, i just think i could use a little more in the sand. maybe i should get a 450 and lose some weight!

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2006 - 12:27 PM

Why not keep the 426 (you won't get much for it, anyway, these days) and pick up a good clean '93-'01 CR500? Then decide. You can find them for less than $3k all over the place.

• medicman

Posted November 30, 2006 - 12:37 PM

Why not keep the 426 (you won't get much for it, anyway, these days) and pick up a good clean '93-'01 CR500? Then decide. You can find them for less than $3k all over the place.

i like your thinking grayracer:thumbsup:

• DesertRacer2

Posted November 30, 2006 - 06:33 PM

There is a very clean 1995 CR500 in the recycler right now with a fresh top-end for $2000 OBO!

• YzGuy79

Posted November 30, 2006 - 07:36 PM

It's all about traction with the CR500.

Man, you've got to ride one with a TeraFlex tire one it. It'll make your balls tingle!:worthy:

That's all I've got to say about that......

• PK

Posted November 30, 2006 - 11:20 PM

I have both and I can tell you the CR500 is faster at all RPM's than my 450. The CR500 is a great bike but can definitely be a handful if your not a short shifter and get a little cocky. The suspension on them really suck compared to my 06 YZF but for a trail bike, it's awesome. The main reason I got it was because the Bataan Death March type of trail riding they have here in Hawaii was making me not want to ride my 450 because the bikes get a pretty hard beating. The CR500 I bought for $700 with a seized motor was perfect for the task after putting $400 bucks into it, there isn't a hill it won't climb.

• erikhoeflinger

Posted December 01, 2006 - 02:06 AM

the most noticeable difference in motor I have found in comparison to a 450 is the torque that these 500's have is so much more its not even funny. My mate was always bragging about his yz426 having more torque because it is a fourstroke blah blah until I rode his 426 and realised that this thing wouldn't even loft the wheel anymore at 60mph off the throttle and he found the opposite with my cr and looped out. You won't regret buying a 500 they are well worth the money and yeah you can always sell a used 500 for what you paid if it is in the same condition as they all seem to sit at a steady price being out of production

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:20 AM

The CR500 is a great bike but can definitely be a handful if your not a short shifter ...

...there isn't a hill it won't climb.

The I found with short shifting my CR500 was that unless you were still really prudent, it just dug a deeper trench and threw the roost farther. :D

And there are hills it won't climb. They're the ones you get stopped in the middle of because the trail turned or the slope kicked up and the ground is loose and rocky. The 450 I can get going again by feathering the clutch. The 500 would just break the tire loose again and sit there. Maybe with a Rekluse. :worthy:

But that's not what they're good at, anyway, and it isn't really a fair criticism.

• ridesblue1

Posted December 02, 2006 - 06:30 PM

hi all.after reading this thread i am very tempted to sell the ole yzf400 and look around for a cr500...very tempted :worthy:

• zorroz

Posted December 03, 2006 - 03:00 AM

Posted Image

Well I own a 2000 CR500 that is set up just for dune work. They are great sleds on the sand with a 10 paddle on the rear. I have raced mates 450's numberous times and though I always win, theres not a hell of alot in it. I feel the 450's are easier to jump and corner but for power the 500 rips! Heres my bike in action:

40m dune jump:

Racing a worked banshee:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.