Wide Open Racing The Cr500

52 replies to this topic
  • MacJammer

Posted November 28, 2006 - 07:36 PM

I was wondering if anybody out there rides the sand and if so have any of you been beating or at least running with CR500s:eek:

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2006 - 08:09 PM

If the CR is well ridden and has a paddle, it's tough to stay with. Otherwise, they are an extremely difficult bike to manage and get the full potential out of, and most people can't do it most of the time. They are definitely ferocious ( I used to own one ), but they are a true double handful, and a good strong YZ450 can take one.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:21 AM

I recently sold my 03 Service honda cr500af. I got enough out of it that I paid cash for my new 07 yz450f, I can`t help but chuckle to myself every time I throw a leg over my new 450 that I basicly traded that old 500 for the best bike I have ever ridden. Maybe the joke is on me for spending so much on the Service Honda in the 1st place.

• Pincushion

Posted November 29, 2006 - 10:36 AM

I was wondering if anybody out there rides the sand and if so have any of you been beating or at least running with CR500s:eek:

Is turning involved? If so, you'll hang.
If not, then make sure no skin is exposed cause you're gonna be getting sand blasted.

I've never ridden a 450 that'll hang with a 500 with traction involved.

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2006 - 11:36 AM

with traction involved.

The key problem. Just stay out from behind it. (This is where my avatar originated)

• medicman

Posted November 29, 2006 - 12:37 PM

If the CR is well ridden and has a paddle, it's tough to stay with. Otherwise, they are an extremely difficult bike to manage and get the full potential out of, and most people can't do it most of the time. They are definitely ferocious ( I used to own one ), but they are a true double handful, and a good strong YZ450 can take one.

hey gray, iam a big guy ( 6' 4", 270lbs) on a yzf 426, i would like to try a big bore 2 stroke either kx or cr. do you think either of these would be better for me than a 450?

• DesertRacer2

Posted November 29, 2006 - 03:06 PM

I have owned, ridden, and raced many KX and CR 500's. I am a big guy as well (6'5 250lbs). When I stopped racing I decided to buy a XR650. It wasn't nearly as fast as my 500's and was about 70 lbs heavier. I just sold it and bought a 07 YZ450F. This is the best dirt bike I have ever owned. It is not as fast as a 500, but it is extremely close. My brother still rides a 2000 CR500 and I can out turn him all day long. Don't even get me started on the suspension, its light years a head of the 500's. The YZ is fast, stable, and very well suspended. Get one and you won't regret it!

• medicman

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:01 PM

I have owned, ridden, and raced many KX and CR 500's. I am a big guy as well (6'5 250lbs). When I stopped racing I decided to buy a XR650. It wasn't nearly as fast as my 500's and was about 70 lbs heavier. I just sold it and bought a 07 YZ450F. This is the best dirt bike I have ever owned. It is not as fast as a 500, but it is extremely close. My brother still rides a 2000 CR500 and I can out turn him all day long. Don't even get me started on the suspension, its light years a head of the 500's. The YZ is fast, stable, and very well suspended. Get one and you won't regret it!

i ride mostly dunes and desert, how bad do the 500s turn? i dont think i really need to be turning on a dime any way. i just want to fly through the dunes. are the 500s lots of fun to ride?:worthy:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:05 PM

Been a little while since I have rode either a CR500 or KX500. (I have rode serveral new 450's just in the past months and they are great)

It it is interesting that for those that have rode a CR500 or equivalent back to back with a new 450 that they are that close. I would have imagined that the CR or KX would have easily still taken a new 450. Especially in the sand with a paddle or drag race. I can understand the supsension would be no comparision. Maybe one day I can see for my self...

• DesertRacer2

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:16 PM

With practice you can carve with a CR500 no problem. The KX is a little harder. The bike is bigger and the suspension is softer. I had problems with my KX500 but my CR500 was bullet proof. I rode mine at glamis for many years. If you don't mind the vibration, it would make a great dune bike. You have to remember that this is still a 233 lb motorcross bike with a nice comfy seat. I ride mainly desert these days, so the 450 is my top choice. I have been to the drags and to Oldsmobile and witnessed races, 450's vs 500's. They are always close. It comes down to the rider. If you are going to buy a CR500, get at least a 1997. They didn't change them after that except for BNG's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:29 PM

hey gray, iam a big guy ( 6' 4", 270lbs) on a yzf 426, i would like to try a big bore 2 stroke either kx or cr. do you think either of these would be better for me than a 450?

No.

That sums it up rather well, frankly. :worthy:

i ride mostly dunes and desert, how bad do the 500s turn? i dont think i really need to be turning on a dime any way. i just want to fly through the dunes. are the 500s lots of fun to ride?:D

Oh, they're a gas to ride. I think everyone should try it at least once. If I could have as many motorcycles as I wanted, a CR500 would be one of them. Running one through the gears on pavement is like hyper-caffeinated adrenalin on steroids. It redefines "intense". But overall, even as a straight-up single purpose desert bike, I'd much rather be on a YZ450.

• Nitroused383

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:44 PM

My friend has a 93 cr 500 and it doesn't impress me that much. It has a procircuit pipe + silencer with a fresh top end. We have raced on pavement and gravel and I have smoked him on both. Cr 500's stock only have like 8:1 compression so they run on 87 octane fuel. 450s are crazy I can ride wheelies in gravel when all the 2 strokes I've riden will only spin. Even with a bald tire. Oh ya cr500's drink lots of gas. We have switched bikes and the results were the same. My bro's 00 cr250 with some motor work+pipe/silencer will stay dead even with my bike on pavement. Either his bike rips or my friends cr500 sucks.

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:03 PM

Apparently, your friend's bike sucks. Mine would float the front wheel 2" off the ground all the way through 4th and up into 5th unless I worked at preventing it.

There are also two different ways to measure compression ratio on a two-stroke. One is static, and the ratio is taken between the volume at TDC and the volume from the point at which the exhaust port closes, not BDC as is usual with a 4-stroke. The dynamic compression in my '94 was way too high for 87 octane.

• medicman

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:11 PM

Apparently, your friend's bike sucks. Mine would float the front wheel 2" off the ground all the way through 4th and up into 5th unless I worked at preventing it.

There are also two different ways to measure compression ratio on a two-stroke. One is static, and the ratio is taken between the volume at TDC and the volume from the point at which the exhaust port closes, not BDC as is usual with a 4-stroke. The dynamic compression in my '94 was way too high for 87 octane.

grayracer which one is a better bike? kx 500/cr

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:20 PM

They're different. The KX, at least in its later years was built more as a desert bike. The CR was built for open class MX. The suitability of either one depends on the purpose you're thinking of using it for. Also, the different year CR's had different frame geometry and continually improved suspension. It's really more a matter of preference, I suppose, but I always liked the CR's better. One thing is certain, the 93 and up models are very tough and durable. Of course, if you start talking Service Honda, the KX looses right away.

• Nitroused383

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:27 PM

I agree they do run good but it seemed like the cr500's spin too much to go anywhere. I rode a 97 cr500 with a gnarly pipe on the street and that thing was insanely fast. My friends cr500 seems like a pain in the @$$ to start.

• MacJammer

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:40 PM

I had a friend that just bought a CR500. We matched the two up in Utah at Sand Mountain and I ran right with him. We have both been riding 3 and 4 wheelers for years and have just recently got back on 2 wheels so our riding abilities are not as sharp as they once were on bikes. I could not believe that I was running side by side with him. We were both paddled up and we ran so close it was hard to tell which bike was the one to beat.

• DesertRacer2

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:47 PM

Another thing to take into consideration is that the KX has a powervalve and the cylinder cannot be bored. Due to the powervalve the KX has a little more power due to the higher rev ceiling, but its not as durable. Trust me, I had my issues with the bike. The CR on the other hand can be bored, there is no powervalve to clean, and the clutch and clutch basket really do last.

• vpmx

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:11 PM

I've got the 2004 Service Honda CR500AF Limited and a new white '07 YZ450F. The Honda is hands down faster, but wears me out before a moto is over. The Honda turns sharper. The Honda accelerates much harder and I typically win a side by side drag against any of the 450's. Some people just move over when they hear it coming. The Yamaha has a more forgiving frame and better stock front and rear suspension than my massaged Honda stuff. I am quicker on the Yamaha for lap times, it is easier to ride and I do not get as tired. I am not in the same shape or expert speed as I was 20 years ago, so I vote Yamaha. My gut is that a strong expert or pro could disappear on the Honda. I overestimated my come back to racing ability, but it is still a treat to ride.

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:51 PM

I overestimated my come back to racing ability, ...

Yeah. Why does that sound familiar? :worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.