Chain and spockets no good

7 replies to this topic
  • MacJammer

Posted November 28, 2006 - 07:19 PM

Just bought my first big 4 stroke. '06 YZ450F 50th edition. After about 10 hours on the bike my chain is stretched to max and the rear sprocket is trash. Any advice on a chain and sprocket set up that will last on this Hause.

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2006 - 08:02 PM

The Regina ORN6 O-ring chain will unquestionably last as long as anything available for $70 or less. The one on my '03 is over two years old. I've adjusted it 3 times.

Most high quality front sprockets are about the same. If you're in mud a lot, get one that's got self cleaning grooves ground in. Tag rear sprockets hold up better than any aluminum rear I know of, are very light, reasonably priced, and look good. The ultimate in rear sprocket durability, though, is Ironman. Look Here, or at the TT store.

• Ranger18

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Just bought my first big 4 stroke. '06 YZ450F 50th edition. After about 10 hours on the bike my chain is stretched to max and the rear sprocket is trash. Any advice on a chain and sprocket set up that will last on this Hause.

Just remember when you buy a new chain and sprocket kit, to keep an eye on it. It doesn't matter how good they are, if they are out of adjustment they will get destroyed also.

• mxpro125

Posted December 03, 2006 - 12:09 PM

my '07 450F stockers are trashed with about 30 hours on the bike, maybe less.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NOMADAK

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:00 PM

The stock sprockets are fine but I did go with another gearing combination. I chose that time to go with some lighter aluminum sprockets from VORTEX. I added a tooth on the rear. Made using 3rd in tight corners easier.

The chain is the problem area. On the 450F, it stretches so fast, it is impossible to stay on top of keeping it adjusted correctly. I went with a non o-ring RK gold. Keeping the chain adjusted properly is critical to sprocket longevity. I can make a get a set of sprockets to last me at least a season, even with all the mud races we get here. The '06 and '07 YZF's do call for running the chain a bit looser than the other brands. Follow your manual to the letter.

• DesertRacer2

Posted December 03, 2006 - 03:47 PM

Go with Side Winder Chain and Sprokets and you won't regret it. I had them on my XR650 for three years before I sold it and I never had to adjust the chain and the sprockets still looked new. Trust me, if my 650 couldn't stretch the chain, your 450 won't be able to.

• TexN343

Posted December 04, 2006 - 02:25 PM

lol XR vs YZ? In this case displacement looses. The motocross bike would stretch chains faster. I have a DID x-ring chain and rear Ironman sprocket with renthal front sprocket over 100hours and only one adjustment. The x-ring does add weight though.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2006 - 03:41 PM

lol XR vs YZ? In this case displacement looses. The motocross bike would stretch chains faster.

What do you base that assertion on? Do you think that an XR650's drive train leads an easier life pushing 300 pounds of machine, plus rider, around in plush environments like the California deserts,or Baja? Besides, I can wipe out a chain and sprocket set in no time on a 125, if I set out to.

The x-ring does add weight though.

Sealed chains have been unfairly smeared with this for a long time, mostly because of low quality products like the Primary Drive chains. Regina's ORN6 O-ring chain is all of 4 ounces heavier than the equivalent RX3 standard type.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.