Does your XR600R smell warm in these conditions...

7 replies to this topic
  • dangerranger21

Posted November 28, 2006 - 05:36 PM

Well I am still a noob owner with the XR600R, but today for the first time in 24 degree weather I decided to take it down the driveway and back and after warming up a bit it smelt very warm... Everything is up to check on this bike, would the warm smells be comming from such a cold air? Just wanna hear some replys on thoughts... Thanks

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:53 PM

What do you mean warm smell????

• Desert Dog Z400S

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:55 PM

Warm like traces of oil seepage getting hot and stinking or warm like coolant boilover?

• dangerranger21

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:58 PM

Warm like traces of oil seepage getting hot and stinking or warm like coolant boilover?

Yes, pretty much like that... Like motor over heating... its a 93XR600

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRPXL600R

Posted November 28, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Do you have a oil temp guage? Or even a Raytek IR temp guage? If you bring your bike up here I could take a peek at it and let you use my new Oil temp stick to check your oil temp. You can get a IR temp guage at Harbor Freight tools for around $25-30.

• Owyhee

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:38 AM

Well I am still a noob owner with the XR600R, but today for the first time in 24 degree weather I decided to take it down the driveway and back and after warming up a bit it smelt very warm... Everything is up to check on this bike, would the warm smells be comming from such a cold air? Just wanna hear some replys on thoughts... Thanks

At least your bike starts at 24 degrees. Id' be happy to have the "burning" smell over the smell of my sweat kicking for 30 minutes or pushing it to the top of a hill to bump start it.

I used to ride an '84 XR350. It had twin carbs and a wet sump. It ran really hot summer or winter. After warming up before the ride it always had a funny smell that would disipate after I started riding. I never could figure out the smell but I had the bike for 25,000 hard miles and it never skipped a beat.

I lost my sense of smell in Nepal in 1999 so I'm not sure how P.I.G. smells but no one else who has ridden it has complained of a stench.

EDIT: I just ad a thought. Maybe the hot smell is always there, but you smell it more since it's cold outside (heat/smell rises)?

"O"

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 29, 2006 - 10:12 AM

Does it feel like it is getting hot? When an XR gets "overheated" it scortches your right leg even if you have the heat sheild still on the pipe...If it doesnt seem to get hot and only smels hot I think it is blowby you are smelling. Also, very cold weather excites your sense of smell, which I learned in Sniper School...we learned allot of weird stuff like that in Sniper School!

• dangerranger21

Posted November 29, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Ok yah... I think Im just getting paranoid, everything is check on the bike, it even started up 4th kick after sitting for 3 days in straight 20 degree weather. Lets just say it doesnt take much to warm that bike motor up, and no its not scorching my leg, but I feel heat, and just like a few said its more noticeable in these conditions... Thanks for the help...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.