Motocross & WR450

10 replies to this topic
  • cruzzze

Posted November 28, 2006 - 02:49 PM

Ok, just a quick question, if you look at the WR and the YZF 450's, they are almost as equal as they can be, except a few moe pounds on the WR. I am thinking about MXing the WR, can it be done? Thanks:ride:

• SkyRaider

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:19 PM

I think it would be quite a bit more than just a few more pounds, plus the suspension isn't set up for motocross.

It could be done, but you would be at a significant disadvantage, I would think.

• Hog Pilot

Posted December 02, 2006 - 07:41 PM

I race motoX with my WR and I love passing a dude with $2000 of extras on his motoX bike. It's all in the rider

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 02, 2006 - 07:50 PM

It's about a 30 pound difference, something that I had to think about when decicing to go YZF or WR. Since I don't do any racing and the WR has many extra features, it was clear which bike would suit my riding style better.

• TwoBobRob

Posted December 03, 2006 - 04:18 AM

I'm only a novice, but I found the suspension to be the limiting factor. I would put money into that before anything else. The weight was a factor, but it didnt spoil my fun.

Casing doubles and coming up short on tabletops - now that DID spoil my fun....:worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bullybull9

Posted December 03, 2006 - 06:57 AM

What are the advantages of an enduro bike, everyone says they are set up for the woods,, IN WHAT WAY?.. my rmz had great low end ,, you could ride it all the way down in the r's same as the wr,,

So my question is what are the 2 differances in the 2 bikes ,,, the enduro is heavier , has electric start and lights( the electric start was the reason I bought it)

• TWILES

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:01 PM

I learned that its like jumping a quad with bad shocks. You can do it easily. You just have to learn to land right to keep from bottoming. Nothing sucks worse that being lined up for the next one and bouncing when you land and completely screwing everything up. MX set-ups soak up the landing where XC types are like a pogo stick. If you can learn to MX with the WR suspension you'll be a fast SOB if you ever get an MX bike.

• tom sawyer

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:19 PM

Yeah dont forget about the different gearing!!

• bullybull9

Posted December 11, 2006 - 04:33 AM

Gearing? does the wr have more top or bottom ,, I feel that I'm sticking better in the turns in the woods,, the mx bike I had to be almost sitting completely on the tank,, the wr just seams to stick ,, if it it the suspension ,, what will happen once I stiffen it up for my weight.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted December 11, 2006 - 10:07 PM

I learned that its like jumping a quad with bad shocks. You can do it easily. You just have to learn to land right to keep from bottoming. Nothing sucks worse that being lined up for the next one and bouncing when you land and completely screwing everything up. MX set-ups soak up the landing where XC types are like a pogo stick. If you can learn to MX with the WR suspension you'll be a fast SOB if you ever get an MX bike.

You obviously don't know anything about suspension. You can tune the stock suspension alot. For one to help with harder landings, you can add the spring-rate washers to the forks (don't help much but a little), increase the rear spring preload, Increase high speed compression in the rear, Increase normal compression, and rebound damping front and rear. And add oil to the forks, not too much but a little so you don't lose too much travel.

As for the pogo stick BS you mentioined, that is what rebound damping is for. Depending on your track conditions, you will need more or less, but without a doubt alot more for MX than XC.

Obviously if you tune the YZF suspension it will be more effective on the MX track for which it was designed, but you can tune your WR suspension to compete fairly well.

• BlueBlood Rider

Posted December 11, 2006 - 10:25 PM

I have my WR450 setup for MX. I had Race Tech redo the suspension and it was like night and day. The bike is still a bit heavy for long jumps (so am I:confused: ), and it can be a bit top-heavy in the turns, but it does pretty well considering. I prefer my YZF for the track, but on courses with long straights and long jump faces I usually take the WR for the extra power. Shifting is very important with the WR as far as jumping since it doesn't have the same snap that a YZ has at high rpm. WHere the WR really shines on the track is in the turns. You can lug it going in and blast out without shifting. The YZ will fall flat on its face without a downshift.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.