Best tires-overall- KDX200

4 replies to this topic
  • snowxdadx3

Posted November 28, 2006 - 09:10 AM

What do you guys think are the best overall tires for a '02 KDX200? I live in Northern Mi, mostly sand trails/woods riding, but sometimes in the spring, moocho mud! My son's are getting me new tires for Christmas:applause: , and a FMF gnarly woods pipe:thumbsup: . I'm thinking of the Michelin starcross, or maybe M12. What do you think?

• KDXer

Posted November 28, 2006 - 09:25 AM

A tried and true combo is a M12 up front and a S12 in the rear, I don't know if it is the best, but lots of people like the combo. I have been running it for a long time and it works well in PNW woods.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam728

Posted November 28, 2006 - 09:47 AM

I'm from Michigan, Oscoda to be exact. I did most my riding over on the east side and in the Gaylord/Johanesburg/Atlanta area, plus a lot of UP stuff. Seems everywhere I went people swear by the Michelin S12 for the rear. If you goto a harescramble I bet you'll see at least 50% of the participants running S12's.

My thoughts
  • Kenda Millville rear and Maxxis soft terrain front, my favorite setup. Just seemed work well in most every situation. Rear did chunk pretty easily though.
  • Dunlop 739, seemed to spin a lot in sand, although cornered well
  • Kenda Trekmaster II's ,tried them because I am dual-sported, worked well straightline, but would wash out / slide out in corners.
  • Maxxis IT rear, (running now with a Dunlop 739 front, it is to Arizona what the S12 is to people in Michigan), works pretty good in the sand, but I don't think I'd use it in Michigan.

Also, my KX came with a King's tire on the rear. Looks like an exact copy of the S12, although the rubber seems harder. Only a few rides on it, but it's held up very well in the rocky crap I was riding in. Hooked well in the sandy washes. I have a set of King's dual sport tires (996 I think is the number) for the KDX, they are wearing like iron, although off road they have all the traction of a well waxed saucer. Scary in mud! I rode Durhamtown in Georgia on them in the rain. Wet red clay + dual sport tires = lots of almost crashing + pushing the bike up really easy hills.

• snowxdadx3

Posted November 28, 2006 - 10:30 AM

Thanks guys. m12/s12 it is!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 28, 2006 - 12:07 PM

I run a trials rear with the 220 power gives you nothing but traction and front end lift. It's great in the sand and rocks. Good in most muds but sucks in the slimy clay like muds and not all that great in the snow unless you excersize a lot of throttle control. MT 18 is ok front but want to try the MT83 Scorpian Pro.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Will KX450F wheels fit my 04 kx250 by KawiRider98

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • 16 replies
Forums
Photo

Help, what year model is this? KX125 by Rinox88

• 14 replies
Forums
Photo

2001 KX125 carb problems by Taylor227

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Kx 125 Build by NzJohny

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Precision Concepts 2003 KX 270 by smv ryder

• 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.