XR600R/650R Tall Tail Light Lens

17 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted November 28, 2006 - 08:50 AM

I have an issue with my Baja Designs brake light kit on my 650R melting the stock tail light lens. I have tried re-positioning the brake light socket, but it still gets too hot.

I swear I've seen an after market lens that was taller than the stock lens. I thought it was made by Acerbis, and it was on Baja Designs back when they were cool and had a lot of stuff.

Does anyone else know where to find such an item. That tail light lens was a standard Honda part, and was interchangeable with XR650R's, XR600R's, and I think XR400R's & Xr250R's

• JKL

Posted November 28, 2006 - 10:38 AM

I cut out my rear fender below the lens and mounted the light on some plastic. I left enough rear fender to be able to screw the new piece below the cut out and silicone it together. One year later it still works and has survived many water crossings.
I don't know about a bigger lens cover.

• ttmojo1

Posted November 28, 2006 - 02:05 PM

I had the B/D taillight on my XR650R and the bulbs kept burnng
out so, I looked on they're website and they sell replacement bulbs
(22S? ,cant recall..).Called em up and tech said dont bother replacing
bulbs cuz theyre just gonna keep burnng out.....even tho they still sell em.
He reccomended the LED taillight. I got 1, and its been great since.
The LED's work on both AC and DC.

Tony

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 28, 2006 - 02:47 PM

Replace the bulb with a bulb from http://www.superbrig...brake-turn.html their bulbs dont get that hot as to melt the lens. I have run them in my cars, trucks, and now my bike. They are brighter too!

• frankiewhipit

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:01 PM

What number bulb does the tail light use? if it's an 1157 get a smaller bulb with the same size base. I think a number 89 will work

• motopsycho650

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:55 AM

Thanks BRPXL600R. I like the LED light idea. The only thing I wonder is, are you sure those large looking bulbs will fit in the stock lense?

I'm not sure which bulb # is in my bike now, I haven't taken it apart yet.. It looks like an 1157 socket, but with a globe around half the size of an 1157.

I think it's funny that Baja Designs doesn't even recommend the items they sell. Like I said, back when Baja Designs used to be cool. They used to have lots of cool parts, now they're nothing but dual sport kits and baja lights. Both of which I don't care about.

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 29, 2006 - 02:12 PM

Thanks BRPXL600R. I like the LED light idea. The only thing I wonder is, are you sure those large looking bulbs will fit in the stock lense?

I'm not sure which bulb # is in my bike now, I haven't taken it apart yet.. It looks like an 1157 socket, but with a globe around half the size of an 1157.

I think it's funny that Baja Designs doesn't even recommend the items they sell. Like I said, back when Baja Designs used to be cool. They used to have lots of cool parts, now they're nothing but dual sport kits and baja lights. Both of which I don't care about.

Posted Image

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted November 29, 2006 - 07:57 PM

If you are referring to the 650R rather than the 650L, the stock bulb is a 158, but the 168 and 194 have the same wedge base. Superbright LED's have a few that will fit and some that hit the lense. You need to be watchful of the total bulb length. Do a search on Ebay for "194 LED" or "168 LED" and you'll also find some good ones there. I have one that I got off Ebay that is virtually as bright as the stock incandescent bulb. I don't recall the seller, but the LED has kind of an unusual flat top to it, instead of the normal round LED's. 1157 bulbs will not fit, if it is a direct replacement for the stock Honda socket and lense.

• lhark

Posted November 30, 2006 - 04:41 PM

The taller taillight is made by Maier. It has a bit more inside room than the others I've seen. It the basic shape of the XR600R but bigger and taller. It's a bit of a bugger to mount on a stock Honda XR600R fender, because of the molded in taillight. If you have a flat, aftermarket fender, like Acerbis, or Maier, it's a breeze.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motopsycho650

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:32 AM

Thanks, I think I'm gonna go with the LED idea. The bulb in my bike currently does not have a stamped number on it. Looking around, I believe it's a #68 bulb. it's a dual-filament 1157 base, with a smaller globe.

Buy looking at http://www.superbrig...brake-turn.html, I think I need the 9-LED #68. Only $2.99 ea., even nicer. Well, $4.99 for a white bulb. $2.99 for red or amber.

Thanks everyone.

• lhark

Posted December 01, 2006 - 03:11 PM

I like the LED idea, too. I'm going to change the bulb in my Maier, on my XR650L, to the LED before the end of winter. I put one in the taillight on my LC4 KTM, and it looks a lot brighter than the stocker. The LED's run a lot cooler than the old style, for sure.
Good luck with it.

• bork

Posted December 05, 2006 - 06:08 AM

Glad I saved this . check out here http://www.thumperta...30&page=5&pp=10

• gringo1450

Posted December 05, 2006 - 05:40 PM

I know you are trying to fix what you have but the DRC EDGE 2 unit
is real nice LED's, low power and great service it came in 2 days and they threw in some vavle stem caps

http://www.wheelingc...egory&cat_id=72

• Barro

Posted December 05, 2006 - 09:20 PM

http://autos.ph.grou...s/view/bedb?b=6

The wedge types will be dim. There is enough room for two
http://www.digikey.c...=164411&Site=US

You have to solder some wires. I soldered them directly to the lamps (since they don't need to be replaced)

Eduardo.

• nickreal

Posted December 06, 2006 - 11:18 PM

I have a LED bulb on my 650r with the stock lens cover. I fit a 1157 type in there and it was tight but it fits and doesn't get hot enough to melt the cover.

• vaughn

Posted December 07, 2006 - 05:56 AM

You want one of these (the 3x4 version). It fits right under the stock XR650R lens.

http://www.wheelingc...AAAAB-43627.jpg

• chpxr

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:34 PM

wheelingcycle have a big selection of tail lights that are very bright

i just bought the led insert for my tail light at wheelingcycle and all i can say is what great people they are to deal with if they do all there buisness the way they did all i can say is wow :worthy:

• bork

Posted December 08, 2006 - 06:10 AM

I just ordered my LED's for my stock lens from Wheeling. I'll let ya know after its installed & if it's up to standards or maybe better. BTW; Mr Forest guy seems helpfull & informative.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.