Buying a used 2007 YZ 450F. What to watch out for?

15 replies to this topic
  • Stupendous

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:25 AM

I'm looking at getting this bike. I've been looking locally and found a used one for sale. He says its barely been ridden because its too powerful for him. Since its only a couple months old is there anything I should look out for to make sure there isn't a hidden reason for him getting rid of it. Take it to a mechanic and have it checked out maybe?

• Drfletcherdc

Posted November 28, 2006 - 10:12 AM

I'm looking at getting this bike. I've been looking locally and found a used one for sale. He says its barely been ridden because its too powerful for him. Since its only a couple months old is there anything I should look out for to make sure there isn't a hidden reason for him getting rid of it. Take it to a mechanic and have it checked out maybe?

People do that all the time buy a bike with too much power for them to handle. Make sure it starts and check the oil. Look at the wear of the tires.

• never59

Posted November 28, 2006 - 10:14 AM

I am sure there are many other things to check but for starters i would check the oil, coolant and the air filter. If the air filter is dirty and the oil looks broken down... some what of a red flag. Coolant low would be another one!But he could of cleaned the air filter and oil before you came to look at it. If the air filter is clean, look inside the airbox and see how dirty it is. Could of been cleaned as well though. See how much wear is on the clutch cover to give you an idea how much he has really ridden it. Bring a stand and check to see if the wheels are fairly true, look for flat spots and if the rotors are not bent. Look at the radiator and see if it's been bent. The 07 comes with a 756 rear and a 739 front. if they are the original tires than that is a plus but of course he could of bought new tires exactly the same as the stock ones. Try to get a feel for the guy selling it to you, i have looked at used bikes and the minute i met the guy i had a feeling he was not telling me the whole story and i walked away from the deal.
Good luck and i am sure some other tt'ers will have even better advice for what to look for.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted November 28, 2006 - 02:25 PM

The '07's have only been out for what...2 months? I'd say that if it starts and rides fine then you should be okay. But you still need to do the basics of checking the oil condition, etc.

It's not at all uncommon for a noob to go out and buy the biggest, baddest whatever (dirt bike, street bike, snowmobile, quad, etc.)...only to realize it is way out of thier league and then sell it. I'll bet the guy has a killer set of brand new riding gear you could get him to throw in...:worthy:

• centermass

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:31 PM

Buy It.......... Im Sure You Can Do Better Than You Would If You Were To Get At A Dealeship And Besides How Much Could This Guy Really Have Hurt It In This Short Of A Time Period. You Would Be Able To Tell With A Simple Once Over If It's Beat Down. Enjoy It. And I Agree With 426 Rider I Bet He's Got Top Of The Line Gear . Get It At A Cut Rate Price Also ..............

• felix 222

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:38 PM

take it to a local dealer and have it checked out

• doublecaser

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:59 PM

The bike will be at Canyon MX track this Thursday if you want to see how it runs. If you are serious buyer I'll let you test ride it. What more could you ask for? V

• ovrrdrive

Posted November 29, 2006 - 02:00 AM

The bike will be at Canyon MX track this Thursday if you want to see how it runs. If you are serious buyer I'll let you test ride it. What more could you ask for? V

Is this your bike for sale?

So do tell, are you throwing in a new set of top of the line riding gear too? :worthy:

Why don't you throw up some pics and let the "experts" here hash them out...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted November 29, 2006 - 05:40 AM

I am sure if it is going to a track to be tested before purchase it is fine....
Yamahas are the most reliable of all of them.....some of you sound completely paranoid. A dealer can't check more than you.....they can however take your money!

here is a list of things to check on all 400/436/450s

check for ease of starting
condition of oil
how it shifts
anti freeze level

other things:
steering lock - if any
lift the rear up and down slightly for any shock bearing wear/pivot bearing binding - push down and up.
look under frames for any damage and/or cracking - on 400/426/03-05 450 check frame under steering head for any cracks
check forks for any binding and or straightness
move tires back and forth for any movement - wheel bearings
check condition of brakes - pad thickness, spongyness/freeplay in levers and pedal
Check clutch engagement - and for any slipping

last thing overall condition/wear and tear on all visible items

remember almost everything can be fixed, replaced or repaired...if the seller is a nut like most of us. The bike will be imaculate, clean and overly perfect with too much money spent on aftermarket parts and suspension...that for you the buyer is great. A ride test is the best way to check for most all of this. Anyone telling you you can not ride before buy...........run:thumbsup:

• doublecaser

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:26 AM

So do tell, are you throwing in a new set of top of the line riding gear too? :worthy:

Ya that's my bike. Nope, no riding gear for sale. I'm
a front pack vet intermediate. Now to really fast guys, pros, experts, etc, a vet intermediate is a joke. But I bet I'd smoke most of you guys...lol. Anyway I want another new KX 250F. It is one sweet ride. Check my garage. I admit 450 is too much for my likes although the Yamaha is really nice. I only see about 5 guys in Phoenix that can ride a 450 anywhere near it's potential and this is a big motocross town. Rest of them would be better off on a 250F...just have to ride em aggresively which is really fun. Come buy this 07 450. I'll give you a good deal big studs

• YZ426F Rider

Posted November 29, 2006 - 08:39 AM

I've got no problem with a Vet B...front pack or not....and I agree that a Vet B would smoke most people on here. I am most impressed however by a guy that can admit to himself (and others) that he would rather ride a 250f than a 450f. Good luck selling your bike.

• doublecaser

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:56 PM

Pic of said YZ in my garage

• nysurfsf

Posted December 09, 2006 - 07:15 PM

Starting to sound like a good deal.

A vet intermediate know's how to ride so he is shifting correctly (not that he'd be on the limiter of a 450) and probably is also skilled at maintanence and not lazy so the filter and oil will have been done earlier than the factory recomends.

And he probably greased the thing for you, that's like 4+ of free labor.

• Dr._400

Posted December 09, 2006 - 07:28 PM

Is this bike sold yet?

I don't see in the trader online, but since it's in phoenix I might as well check it out...............

Sold or not sold?

Price???

• Stupendous

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Well I didn't buy it. I ended up trading in my old bike for a white one.

• TreeTaster

Posted December 13, 2006 - 06:29 AM

Man I'm in the same boat, selling my 7hrs on it 07 450. Went from a 250F to the 450 and dont like all the power, I think I was faster for longer on the 250. I think unless you show up and the bike is shaped like a pretzle or the motor sounds like it has rocks in it your probably ok. If your buying from a vet rider he probably takes care of his stuff cause he can afford to.

Looking for all stock vs. aftermarket parts is a waste, most guys will immediatly put their favorite tires on a bike and perhaps new chains/sprokets also. As far as a clean airbox or filter being bad, well thats just wrong, after dumpink 7k on a toy you better be keeping it clean.

If the price is good go for it, let that guy take the depreciation, thats money in your pocket for extras.

Just my opinion

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.