426 or 250?

17 replies to this topic
  • big bad d-biker

Posted November 27, 2006 - 06:30 PM

I am thinking of getting a new bike. right now i have a honda 2005 crf230 and i am getting very bored with it. I went to a race practice once with it and it was really fun, the only thing is my bike kept bottoming out on the bigger jumps and it is really heavy. i was only getting about 5 feet of air so that kinda sucked. my friend came with me and it was also his first time, he has a 2001 yzf426 and he loves it. he has only changed the oil once and cleaned the filter once and it still runs like a charm. he has used it for about 8months now pretty much every day. but has only been at a race track once for about 5 hours. he dosent do any maintenance on it at all. so i was very impressed with his bike. I want to get a bike for my skill level, his seems to have too much power for me because i am scared to even crack on it. i am sorry if i am writing a book here but i want to know if i should go with a newer model 250 or a 426? which one would be better for a BEGINER racer and mechanic more or less? i was also thinking of getting a 2 stroke 125 cause they are nice and light and seem like they are fun. I woukd eventually learn how to check the valves and stuff like that so that shouldnt be a problem. i do general maintenance like oil changes and carb mods and stuff, but nothing inside the engine or suspension. It would be very much appretiated if all of you could give me your feedback. thanks. PS. I am in grade 12 and when i graduate i m going to trace school close to home and would like to have a bike to take to the nearby track and learn how to use it.:worthy: haha.

• Kyle Prior

Posted November 27, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Im on my first bike, and its a 426. The bike does have a lot of power, but keep a good head on your shoulders, and itll be fine. Also, tell you friend to start taking care of his bike before something bad happens, like a seized or blown motor...

• big bad d-biker

Posted November 28, 2006 - 05:38 AM

thanks for the info, yes ive told my friend to change his oil more ofter and clean the filter because hell burn his engine out but he dosent really seem to care. i do more oil changes and filter changes on my 230! do u think a 2 stroke 125 would be the way to go for me? are they less work or less expensive or something? i would also be doing a little trail riding on the side like once in a while but not much though. thanks for all the info.:worthy:
One other reason i want to get one of these bikes is so i can learn to do some maintenance on it. I kinda want something to tinker with on the weekend, since i'll be in trade school. i'll be able to affored things. hahah. Its not expensive to take a good skilled trade and it pays off really well in the end. for anybody that wants to know i am taking power engineering 4th class. any of you guys in it or taking it? i'm sure theres a lot of you who are in my shoes out there.:D

• Kyle Prior

Posted November 28, 2006 - 11:16 AM

I was looking at a 2-stroke, but really decided against it for a couple reasons. The sound really gets annoying to me, and I dont care for the powerband type riding. With the 426, it does have a powerband, but there is still torque outside of that. A 4-stroke would be good to learn on maintenance wise, as its very similar to the way a car should be maintained. If you are worried about the 426 or any bigger 2-stroke being a bit big and too much for you, then maybe try looking at a YZ250F, as they are really popular and great bikes in general.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted November 28, 2006 - 12:46 PM

Your friend may have a bike right now but he won't for very much longer unless he starts maintaining it. Bikes are not cars and you cannot go 3,000 miles between oil changes. Change the oil every 10 hours max. and clean and re-oil the air filter every ride.

My opinion: If you are tapping out the 230 then you will be able to handle a 426 fine...just don't pretend you're Bubba Stewart because big bore thumpers will punish stupidity rather quickly. The 426 is a very strong and bulletproof bike with proper maintenance...DO NOT BUY YOUR BUDDY'S BIKE!

125 smokers are a blast to ride (I have one) if you are not a really big dude. But since you mention that you would use it for trail riding then I would recommend against it.

• big bad d-biker

Posted November 28, 2006 - 12:47 PM

yes , i would try to stick with a four stroke, the sound is nicer and a little easier to listen too. I am going to start looking for some bikes and doign some research, then maybe if i can sell my 230 over the winter i'll get one and it will be somthing to frig around with since i couldnt ride it in the snow around here anyways. also, there was a thread on TT i saw one day and it mentioned something about a guy selling instructional dvd's for doing maintenance on your bike. i visited his site and watched a clip from one of the movies. he was teaching how to adjust the valves. now i forgot the site. do any of u guys know where i could find something like that that i could buy online?

• ivesy

Posted November 28, 2006 - 01:01 PM

A yzf250 will be the easiest bike for you to learn and be fast on as the 426 is a bit harder to chuck around and gain confidence in, but the 426 is more fun to ride since it has more grunt. A 125 2 smoker would be another good step from your crf230, not as easy to ride as a yzf250 but still a good bike to learn on, just depends what you prefer. As for tinkering I guess theres a bit more to learn with a 4 stroke.

• kawirider

Posted November 28, 2006 - 08:25 PM

You could move up to a 450 if you want to. Its really just depends on your riding style. Are you always trying to pin it everywhere you go or are you more prone to just rolling on the throttle? If you like to pin it, go with a 250. If you can live without going above half throttle, get a 426 or a 450. The good thing about the 426 and the 450 is that they can always make you grin. I never have to pin it on the track, which is nice. But when I do pin it..... I always blow my buddies out of the water completely.

I rode a 250F once and I dont like the lack of power.
Since I got my suspension done on my 450 I dont have any more complaints. It does everythign I want it to.

• CRF_173

Posted November 28, 2006 - 08:38 PM

Ok I ride an 06 CRF250R, and its a great bike and everything but I race every weekend and take constant care of it. If you just want something that will be a ton of fun to ride, easy to maintain, and a bike you could definately take to the motocross track, I would go with an 05 or newer YZ125. My friend has one of those and we would go riding in the summer, I'd usualy end up riding his bike more than mine, it is SO fun to ride! My bike was more of a race bike, but the YZ was so light and flickable and just all around a really really fun bike to ride. I think you should definately look into those. Just my two cents tho. I'm sure you'll have a great time on whatever you get.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pincushion

Posted November 29, 2006 - 10:42 AM

You'd probably be happier on the 250F. It wont intimidate you and will feel 3x as powerfull as your 230. Also, the 426 is a P-I-G (I have one) and doesn't handle too well. I ride the 426 in the desert where turning is not involved and the nimble 250 (non F) everywhere else. Big power is fun, but at a price.

• big bad d-biker

Posted November 29, 2006 - 12:02 PM

thanks for the input guys, those are all very good hints. Here is the deal. I want a bike that i can learn to ride motocros easy on, that i wont have to pour the money into and replace top ends twice a year, that i can handle easy and is not too powerful. to me the bigger the bike, the faster you are going to get hurt on it. i am not into getting hurt and breaking bones and having arthritis in my bones when i get older. i am the kinda guy that learns by practicing alot and gradually building up my confidence, that way i wont get hurt. hopefully. to me a 125 2-stroke or 250 four stroke is a good learning bike. i dont care if i have to sell it the year after and get a bigger one, i just want to be able to use it and not be afraid of it. if you have any more hints i'd love to hear from ya!:worthy: :D :prof:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted November 29, 2006 - 09:38 PM

You'd probably be happier on the 250F. It wont intimidate you and will feel 3x as powerfull as your 230. Also, the 426 is a P-I-G (I have one) and doesn't handle too well. I ride the 426 in the desert where turning is not involved and the nimble 250 (non F) everywhere else. Big power is fun, but at a price.

You need to ride a 426 that is setup for handling...Makes a good running 250F seem like a 230....in all categories. A newer setup 450 would be even better...As mentioned, a hot 125 2-stroke would even be a big step up from the 230.

• big bad d-biker

Posted November 30, 2006 - 04:18 AM

so are u saying i should go with the 250?

• big bad d-biker

Posted November 30, 2006 - 04:19 AM

wait i just read your post again, r u saying i should stay away form the yz125 and ride a 426?

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2006 - 08:59 AM

One of the hardest things to learn to manage (or to like) is the one inch wide power band of a 125 MX bike. It requires constant manipulation of the gear box and clutch to keep it in the meat of the power. And, when it drops out of the power at either end, it virtually falls flat on its face. This is not true of a 250 4-stroke. The power they produce is spread out over a much wider, more useful, and more easily controlled range. A number of newer riders have more trouble learning to deal with the peakiness of the little two-strokes than any other aspect of riding. The 250F, OTOH, is extremely easy to deal with.

• 30-A rider

Posted November 30, 2006 - 11:09 AM

My opinion. Sell your bike and get the most you can for it so dont jump at first offer.

Get a used 426 or 450 (you can pick up a used 426 for 2000-3500) from the guy that bought one and just didnt use it much. If the bike hits too hard when you gas it then get some flywheel weights and that will tone it down for you. then as you get more confident and your skills increse you can take those weights off.

• big bad d-biker

Posted November 30, 2006 - 06:07 PM

thanks for the advice, do you think that putting weights on the flywheel on the 450 would tone it down to like a 426? The only reason i am thinking against buying a 426 or a 450 is that they cost way more to rebuild the engine, and they are pretty big. i am 6'0 and weigh 145 punds. i am a pretty lanky guy. i wouldn't be able to afford to rebuild the engine twice a year, once is even a little much. although i wouldnt ride it very hard and i'd be using it to trail ride half the time, like secondary roads mostly. so what do u think about that? it just sounds like a 250f would be the way to go for me. but i am taking all of your advice into serious consideration though, thanks a bunch!:worthy:

• Kyle Prior

Posted November 30, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Engine rebuilds are fairly simple, and easy for any competant mechanic who knows how one works to rebuild. On my 426, Im having to replace the crankshaft and rod, piston rings, clutch, and a few other wear items, and the total cost for doing it myself is around $650.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.