Swingarm lubrication?

5 replies to this topic
  • OcotilloBound

Posted November 27, 2006 - 03:36 PM

It seems to me I saw in one of these posts a recommendation list of things to do to your 06 YZ450F, and IIRC it said something about swingarm lubrication being necessary. I have tried to do a search but had no luck. What is the procedure and recommended lube? What other things should be considered necessary to lube, i.e., axles? Not that I'm having problems, more like I want to avoid having them. Where did the factory cheap out and leave it up to the owner to make right?

• Pincushion

Posted November 27, 2006 - 03:54 PM

I just lubed my 06' smoker and found it was decently lubed from the factory, but I greased the linkage and headset up anyway. Its a relatively easy, but a time consuming affair.

The linkage consists solely of needle bearings which the needles can be removed and cleaned. The races can be sprayed with a parts cleaner until clean (I found no need to remove them). Then reassemble using generous amounts of your favorite waterproof grease... I have some Maxima blue goop that I use.

The headset was relatively easy also. Remove bars, drop forks and dissasemble the headset. You'll find tapered bearings top and bottom which are easily removed. Clean the bearings and races before reassembling using generous amounts of lube. Also be sure your dust seal is in good shape and clean before reassembly.

Its probably a 5 out of 10 in diffuculty and takes approximately one 12 pack to finish.

• OcotilloBound

Posted November 27, 2006 - 04:33 PM

Its probably a 5 out of 10 in diffuculty and takes approximately one 12 pack to finish.

A 12-pack? In my younger days, a 12-pack was an afternoon. Nowadays, a 12-pack can last me all weekend. So 12-packs as unit of time are most certainly relative. Nor do I consider it to be the best advise to drink an entire 12-pack during this type of work, as you may find yourself at the end with a handful of extra parts and wondering where they came from. :worthy: But I appreciate your advice on the procedure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigbluerider4life

Posted November 27, 2006 - 04:57 PM

A 12-pack? In my younger days, a 12-pack was an afternoon. Nowadays, a 12-pack can last me all weekend. So 12-packs as unit of time are most certainly relative. Nor do I consider it to be the best advise to drink an entire 12-pack during this type of work, as you may find yourself at the end with a handful of extra parts and wondering where they came from. :D But I appreciate your advice on the procedure.

HAHA! :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2006 - 05:51 PM

Nowadays, a 12-pack can last me all weekend.

It gets worse as you go along. Nowadays, they last me about a week

Nor do I consider it to be the best advise to drink an entire 12-pack during this type of work,

What's the matter? Haven't you ever seen a swing arm upside down before?

But I appreciate your advice on the procedure.

That's what we're (burp) here for. :worthy:

• Pincushion

Posted November 28, 2006 - 07:10 AM

Hahahaha.... I never did say how long it took me. Only that its a time consuming affair :worthy:

My time spent at the Michael Richards comedy acedemy is really paying off.

I think it took me about 5 hours to do, but I'm sure I could cut 2 hours off that next time. I was very, very cautious in my first attempt.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.