Daves mods vs. new pumper carb

14 replies to this topic
  • flyin vee

Posted November 27, 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hello all,

I am in the planning stages of modifying the engine on my 07 650l. I plan on doing all of the typical " go fast " mods from intake to exhaust to 10.5 comp. big bore kit and cam. My question is this, will it be worth the extra expence for a pumper carb or will doing Daves mods to the stock CV carb be sufficient? Will a pumper style carb out perform a modified CV, and if so in what way????? I appologize in advance if this topic has been beat to death in another thread. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Kris

• pgiinc

Posted November 27, 2006 - 06:08 PM

I really like what daves mod did to my 07 650L,it is all I would do other then a pipe,
But I am not thinking taking the motor apart adding a 10.5 to 1 and if I was I would no doubt change to an edelbrock, no choke and instant response. no flooding
I have a edelbrock on my 650R I like it

• frankstr

Posted November 28, 2006 - 07:21 AM

Throttle Response...Is like night and day......:worthy:

:D :prof:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 28, 2006 - 09:05 AM

I will be the 1st to say there will be much better throttle response with a non-CV carb.

I like to ride in a lot of hairy stuff, in a rock garden the CV carb is probably a better choice, so I'm not so tempted by doing a carb upgrade (at the moment...).

Peak power will be determined by the carb size- if you get a pumper the same size as the CV carb, throttle respoonse will be much better but peak power will be the same.

Dave

• flyin vee

Posted November 28, 2006 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the replies, I think that I will modify the stock carb for now and maybe add the pumper to my wish list for the future.

• dukeryder

Posted November 28, 2006 - 05:31 PM

Do a search on the Edlebrocks, from what I've read if you've got an aftermarket tank, the Eblebrock only gets enough fuel when the tank is 3/4 full or greater, but will work fine with the stock tank.

Having the 4.7 Gal Clarke was more important to me than a little morepower out of the edlebrock. This of course applies only to the L

• tirebiter

Posted November 28, 2006 - 07:27 PM

Do a search on the Edlebrocks, from what I've read if you've got an aftermarket tank, the Eblebrock only gets enough fuel when the tank is 3/4 full or greater, but will work fine with the stock tank.

Having the 4.7 Gal Clarke was more important to me than a little morepower out of the edlebrock. This of course applies only to the L

Where did that info come from?
I've got an Edelbrock on my 650L, and it runs just fine no matter how much fuel's in my Clarke tank.
Sounds like whom ever you got that info from has their float level set too low..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:45 AM

read all the negative threads on here about the edelbroke and I think you'll stay with the stocker.....and 400 bucks I got better things to spend money on......

• MindBlower

Posted November 29, 2006 - 10:23 AM

Be aware that they can't be fine tuned like the stocker can.

• pgiinc

Posted November 29, 2006 - 11:11 AM

that is the dumbest thing I ever heard
I own
2007 XR650L with aftermarket tank and edelbrock
2001 XR650R
2006 CRF450X

• jbird710

Posted November 29, 2006 - 11:22 AM

I went with the Edelbrock for the instant response and haven't experienced any of the negative issues others have reported. Even after doing Dave's mods, the stock CV seemed to surge slightly at a constant speed no matter how I had it tuned. Don't know about the Clarke tank issue mentioned as I'm still running the stock tank.

• flyin vee

Posted November 29, 2006 - 03:28 PM

I hear a lot about the Edelbrock carb but not too much about the Kehein or Mikuni pumper carbs. I have read that the FCR Kehein pumper is a pretty good carb that works well with the 650l. All of these carbs are upwards of $500 and I am trying to decide if it is money well spent. I come from a motocross background and throttle responce is pretty important,,,,, but is it worth 500 smackers. Is it somthing I should try after all of the other mods are done or right from the get-go? With Daves mods all I will have into it is $10 in jets and washers and about 20 minutes.:worthy: Thanks

• jbird710

Posted November 29, 2006 - 04:27 PM

I can't speak about the FCR nor the Mikuni; only I've seen posts about problems jetting the Mikuni so it responds at all throttle positons correctly (and this may have been due to the person jetting it). I can tell you the Edelbrock doesn't use jets, there are different main jet needles (it comes with 3) to use along with an simple tool that sets the idle and there's an adjustment for the pump. Since I have a K&N filter, removed snorkel, and a WB exhaust, I went with the needle to flow more gas (E19, I think). It also comes with new throttle cables and took all of an hour to install and adjust (that was taking my time to ensure I didn't miss anything). To me, the throttle response was night and day different. Is it worth $420? To me it was; but others may have a different opinion. Worst case, if you don't like it, you can always resell it on ebay and get your money back.

• tirebiter

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Edelbrock for the 650L..
http://www.barnumspr...A-XR650L/Detail

I've tried the Mikuni, it did run leaner as the fuel level in the tank dropped.
Probibly had something to do with the small float bowl size on Mikunis.

Never ceases to amaze me how people can post negative comments on a product they've never tried in real life, only read about.
Makes it hard to sort through all the BS when all's your looking for is an opinion from someone who has first-hand experience.

• adam574

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:48 PM

my edelbrock kills the stocker in every way. seems to be people want to buy exhaust alot which cost about the same money but from what i have read and experienced give less gains. the edelbrock gives a great gain throughout the entire range. doesn't kill the power on any level. when you buy an exhaust it is usually always a trade of. more top for less bottom and so on.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.