YZ426 tranny problems

7 replies to this topic
  • zz28zz

Posted November 27, 2006 - 12:42 PM

I'm currently looking at a YZ426. I found a 01 model for a good price, but later found out it's missing 4th gear. He says his friend will fix it. I did a search and found a few folks experiencing self destructing trannys with this model. Now I'm worried. Is this issue being overplayed or is it a real concern??

Thx!

• MAD_POTTER

Posted November 27, 2006 - 12:51 PM

I have had to replace gears twice on my 01 426 because I tend to not use the clutch all the time. I think if you rebuild the gearbox and always use the clutch you won't have a problem.

• zz28zz

Posted November 27, 2006 - 01:19 PM

2 sets of gears!!!:worthy:
This seems nuts for a modern bike.
I bought my 84 IT-490 brand new and have never had to split the case.
I hardly ever use the clutch and raced it for over 4 years.

Anyone else replacing tranny gears on a regular basis??

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2006 - 02:18 PM

No. The YZ426 has had an "issue" (as in something that actually goes wrong with the bike sometimes) with wear at the locking lugs of the 3rd through 5th gear sets. The problem first manifests itself as jumping in and out of gear, but if not repaired, can end up breaking teeth off as well. Their transmissions are not unbreakable, and some who use the bike very hard have managed to bust up the gear box in a variety of ways.

But it's a long ways from being bad enough to be called a weakness, and it doesn't happen to anywhere nearly everyone, either. The biggest thing to concern yourself with now is if it broke 4th gear, where is the debris? The engine and trans share the same oil, and if the erstwhile owner has been running it very long since this problem developed, that would be something to worry about.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zz28zz

Posted November 27, 2006 - 02:57 PM

Thx for the replys!
Yeah, the lingering debris is what really concerns me.
The seller is a 50 year old guy who used the bike for trail riding almost exclusively. When he did ride on the motocross tracks, he says that he never got out of 3rd.
Hard to imagine this guy being hard on 4th gear.

What does a gear set and a set of shift forks run for one of these machines?

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2006 - 04:04 PM

A complete transmission including both shafts would be in the area of $700, but you don't need that. You say it's "missing" 4th gear. I take that as meaning that the linkage moves, and there's a 3rd, then nothing, then 5th. If that's the case, you would need at minimum both 4th gears. If it failed because of the jumping in and out thing I mentioned, or you find a great deal of wear at the lugs, you'll need the 3rd pinion and the #2 fork. And the rest of it goes like that. Inspect and replace as needed.

• zz28zz

Posted November 27, 2006 - 05:55 PM

You say it's "missing" 4th gear. I take that as meaning that the linkage moves, and there's a 3rd, then nothing, then 5th.

That's the impression I got from the seller over the phone.

My concern is the seller will replace the min amount of parts (like most sellers do) and I'll develop more tranny problems later.

Sounds like if the eng is ok and the cases aren't split I should offer him abt $350 less than his original price and repair the tranny myself..

Thx for help!!

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2006 - 08:19 PM

I'd go $600 less. Your time and the risk of a larger repair that you would assume makes it worth that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.