2002 YZ 426....Starting Problems

5 replies to this topic
  • dmaaaan

Posted November 27, 2006 - 12:33 PM

I was wondering if you might have a sugestion on where to go from here.

My buddy has a 2002 YZ 426. We have checked the carb. all jets and needle are stock. The air screw is out 2.5 turns. If we put a new sparkplug in, the bike starts with one kick and will start all day very easily. Once the bike cools down ( the next day) you can kick it all day long and it won't start. Looks like the plug is fouling....black and all carboned up. Could it still be a carb. prob. We are at a loss. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Darren Mahler
New orleans, La.

• Dano426

Posted November 27, 2006 - 01:56 PM

The air screw is out 2.5 turns. If we put a new sparkplug in, the bike starts with one kick and will start all day very easily.

The 4-strokes have a fuel screw not a air screw. I think this is where you problems starts. It sound rich - Turn the fuel screw 1 -1.5 turns out and see where you are at. What plug CR9E or CR8E?

• TuningFork426

Posted November 27, 2006 - 08:31 PM

I have a 2002 426 and mine would sometimes not start when it had been sitting overnight. The float was sticking so what u can do is- 1)turn the gas off when your not riding or 2) PULL the hotstart and choke and kick it over for 30 mins thats how i start mine to avoid taking off the carb

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dmaaaan

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:22 AM

He is putting in the CR8E. We didn't know where to start with the "fuel" screw, but thanks for the tip. We will turn the screw in and see if that leans it out a bit. The only reason that it was out so far was that he has a white bros pipe on it and the jets are stock. My thinking was that it would be lean on the low end because of that. But you may be right because of the conditon of the plug.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the help.

• dmaaaan

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:31 AM

Hmm thats a thought.....but we took the carb off and cleaned, checked and carefully replaced it. It is very unlikely that the float is sticking because if it was ...wouldn't fuel run out of the overflow line?

As soon as we change the plug the bike starts right up. We just have to find out why the plug keeps fouling.

• am_muscle

Posted November 28, 2006 - 08:56 AM

When it gets cooler, I always have to pump the throtle a a few times before trying to start it, then the bike would fire right up.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.