06 YZ450 Which bars for a tall guy??

17 replies to this topic
  • scottbob99

Posted November 27, 2006 - 05:24 AM

I going to upgrade my 03 450 to a left over or slightly used 06 YZ450. The only knock I've heard is the cramped riding position if you're tall. Does changing out the bars help this?? If so, which bend?? Also I suppose I could buy Loboy pegs also. Thanks for any advise.

I'm 6'4", 185. A C rider, mostly race at Southwick.

• DPW

Posted November 27, 2006 - 06:23 AM

I'm 6'2 and use Windham Pro Tapers plus a BRP triple clamp with taller more forward bar mounts.

• kyle450rider

Posted November 27, 2006 - 07:05 AM

IF a tall bend doesnt work for you.Try a tag bar cr double high bend.I believe they are the tallest bend on the market.

• TapptOut

Posted November 27, 2006 - 07:24 AM

I think the Pastrana bend bar is the tallest. It is made by pro taper. But it is so tall that it looks like a 50 handle bar for a big bike lol. My dad is 6'3 and he likes the Reed/Henry bar. Which is what i run as well.

• yami racer

Posted November 27, 2006 - 07:42 AM

6'1" and I use the Windham ProTapers without bar mounts and they work well.

• kylwk1500

Posted November 27, 2006 - 07:44 AM

i run the cr high bend. Being your hight though i would suggest low gegs also

• Ranger18

Posted November 27, 2006 - 07:54 AM

When looking at the bars you also have to take into consideration the pull back. I had CR high bends on my old honda, I liked the height, but not the pull back. I put the windham bends on my 06 yzf450 and I think they are perfect. I am 6-3 190lbs

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2006 - 09:02 AM

Go to "http://www.protaper.com/contourbars.html" and click "load chart" to see the Pro Taper bends.

Go here to see the Tag bends.

Note a couple things:

>The Tag YZ double high and the CR double high are the same height, but the CR bars have more pull back.

> My experience with Tag bars has been excellent, but they seem to be measured differently than Pro tapers. Notice that the YZ High bend from PT is listed at 84mm high, while Tag lists lists their YZ bend at 92. Side by side, they look like the same bend exactly.

My son is another happy user of the Pro Taper Windham (RM Mid) bend, and he's 6' nearly 3". If you really want some tall ones, the Pastrana bend from PT is the tallest MX bar I know of.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted November 27, 2006 - 11:39 AM

I run Pro Taper Contours in the KX High bend. I am 6' 4" tall and these have been the tallest I have found. The problem with the Pastrana bend is they are Free Style Bars and are really narrow, that doesn`t work good for a tall guy. At least not for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nicholasd450

Posted November 27, 2006 - 12:23 PM

pastrana isnt the highest...909 makes deegan bend which i think is the highest...you can probly buy atv bends that are higher too

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2006 - 02:28 PM

I run Pro Taper Contours in the KX High bend. I am 6' 4" tall and these have been the tallest I have found. The problem with the Pastrana bend is they are Free Style Bars and are really narrow, that doesn`t work good for a tall guy. At least not for me.

The PT KX High is an inch wider than the Pastrana bend, 30.5 vs. 31.5. Could be quite noticeable, though.

pastrana isnt the highest...909 makes deegan bend which i think is the highest...you can probly buy atv bends that are higher too

The trouble with ATV bars is that they are quite wide at the clamps, and they tend to have a lot of pull back. They do make them very tall, though.

• arel451

Posted November 27, 2006 - 03:43 PM

I just bought a renthal fatbar RC high. Much taller than stock and feels great.

• Pincushion

Posted November 27, 2006 - 03:58 PM

I just installed some Fastway F3 pegs and in the 'lowboy' position they drop the pegs about 1/2" and push them back another 1/2". It doesn't sound like much, but it really did open up the cockpit.

• TapptOut

Posted November 27, 2006 - 05:55 PM

I just bought a renthal fatbar RC high. Much taller than stock and feels great.

Those are supposedly the same bend as the HENRY/REED PT's

• DPW

Posted November 27, 2006 - 06:13 PM

Those are supposedly the same bend as the HENRY/REED PT's

Nope...

Reed/Henry PT=MC Renthal Fat bar
Windham PT=RC Renthal Fat bar

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:20 PM

I'm 6'5'' and use Pro Taper Windham bend and fastway pegs (set in the lowboy) But I still need more I think 10mm risers might help.

• SaddleBackAgain

Posted November 30, 2006 - 10:45 PM

I just installed some Fastway F3 pegs and in the 'lowboy' position they drop the pegs about 1/2" and push them back another 1/2". It doesn't sound like much, but it really did open up the cockpit.

I just tried to install a set of these tonight - in the lowboy position. Wouldn't fit because the peg stop hit the bolt head that holds the peg bracket onto the frame. Keeping the pegs half-way folded up. (they would've worked in the regular-high position fine).
What did you do? I would like to get the benefit of these!:worthy:

• Huckster

Posted December 01, 2006 - 04:00 AM

I just tried to install a set of these tonight - in the lowboy position. Wouldn't fit because the peg stop hit the bolt head that holds the peg bracket onto the frame. Keeping the pegs half-way folded up. (they would've worked in the regular-high position fine).
What did you do? I would like to get the benefit of these!:worthy:

Fastway sells a special bracket for the YZF's. You cant, or at least that is what they told me, install the pegs in the low boy position with out it. I wish they would have mentioned that when I bought them. I ordered the brackets but have not received them. I will let you know when I do. I went through the same thing and was really frustrated because I loved the pegs on my RMZ.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.