press fit masterlink

8 replies to this topic
  • letter

Posted November 27, 2006 - 05:17 AM

What's the best way to remove a press fit master link on a drive chain?

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Assuming you mean that it's a clip type link that press fits together, remove the clip and use a chain breaker to push it apart.

If you mean the riveted type (no clip) use a chain breaker.

• 35yz450F

Posted November 27, 2006 - 11:49 AM

What's the best way to remove a press fit master link on a drive chain?

Angle grinder.

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2006 - 02:05 PM

Angle grinder.

You could hand file it off, too.

He said, "the best way". Everyone who owns a spark plug wrench should have a chain breaker.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted November 27, 2006 - 06:08 PM

I use a flat blade screw driver and pry it off. I usually can get the plate off faster than the guy at Sears can replace my screwdriver.

• 35yz450F

Posted November 27, 2006 - 06:30 PM

You could hand file it off, too.

He said, "the best way". Everyone who owns a spark plug wrench should have a chain breaker.

I assumed since he was asking, he meant "the best way" without the right tool. I will concede to my method being the second best way. However, the angle grinder is faster and easier to find.

• letter

Posted November 27, 2006 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. Gray, do you put the chain breaker on each pin and then the pins do not go out the other plate like on the other links of the chain when you break it?

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2006 - 08:15 PM

There are two basic types of chain breaker, both shown here.
The 805173 on the right is the type you're thinking of. It drives the pins out one at a time, and removes them from both plates. It's useful for O-ring chains because the other type tends to pull the inner plates off of the roller sleeves.

The 805000 is an older design. It grips the chain by the near side inner plate and pushes the pin out of the near side outer plate without removing it from the far side outer plate. This means that it's necessary to "walk" the link out, pushing some on one pin, then some on the other, but it makes it ideal for pushing a tightly pressed master link, like those used on the Regina premium chains, off the chain neatly, with no hammers, screwdrivers, or damage to the O-rings. Either of these from Regina are shop quality professional grade tools that you can get for about $35 each.

• letter

Posted November 27, 2006 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Gray. I'll buy that older design chain breaker.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.