Electrical Problem

3 replies to this topic
  • Kyle_E

Posted November 26, 2006 - 08:06 PM

I have a 93 XR650L. I just finished doing the Dave's mods on the carb (I will save that for another post) and started my bike up. The problem is it runs for about a minute to a minute and a half and then loses spark. It seems as if something is heating up and causing a short. If I let the bike cool for about ten to fifteen minutes it will start right up and then lose spark again after a minute or so. It is definitely not gas related, I have checked and it has no spark, nada, zilch, nothing. Any suggestions what this might be, where to start trouble shooting, and most importantly how to go about the electrical tests. Thanks for any and all help, now tell me how to fix this and then goe to my carb problem post and fix that too. Thanks everyone,

Joe:banghead:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 27, 2006 - 08:57 AM

CDI most likely, could be the timing pickup, but that is quite a bit rarer.

Your description fits a failing CDI unit perfectly.

Only other guess- failing resistor in the plug wire. Try shorting it with a piece of wire to rule out the $0 fix first.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kyle_E

Posted November 27, 2006 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, how would I go about doing this???

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 27, 2006 - 10:47 AM

Either CDI, Coil, or Pulser coil. I'll try to find the values for checking these components witha digital VOM. If you don't know how to check components with a VOM, then borrow one and Ill walk you thru it. Let me find the values...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.