07 450f suspension advice needed...please help

5 replies to this topic
  • mx43yzf

Posted November 26, 2006 - 06:26 PM

I tried the suspension forum first but got no responses.

I dont know a whole lot about suspension but am learning.

I had the springs changed before I even rode it because I weigh 150 pounds without gear.(5.2 rear .42 front) When I got it back from my suspension guy I didnt check the sag because he said it was set and I would have to check it and reset it after a couple of hours anyway. Anxious to ride it I did. I also dropped the triple clamps down on the forks 4 mm (I have had success with this on other bikes and read here on thumpertalk that this helps in turn in). I thought the suspension was great. I have been riding on a new indoor track that has hard, hard, hard pack soil. Did i mention the soil is hard? I think its clay. Anyway I checked the sag and it was at 85 mm. So I changed it to 95mm and although the bike still turns well (maybe not as good as before) It appears I dont get the same lift in the rear(which I'd like back) when I am doubling up the rockers/whoops at this track.

I checked my static sag and its at 35mm when the race sag is 95 and 30 when the race sag is 85. I read that the static sag should be between 15 and 25 mm or the spring is wrong for my weight.

I got the spring rates at race tech website. Is my shock spring still to stiff? Is the front to stiff too??

Thanks in advance.

Tom

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 26, 2006 - 06:30 PM

ummm if it worked great at 85, put it back.

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2006 - 07:18 PM

According to rule of thumb conventional wisdom, your springs are too stiff. The bike is sprung for riders in the 165-180 pound range. The deep free sag that you have at 95mm race sag indicates the spring has too high a spring rate for you, and since the front and rear are well matched from the factory, I'd say both ends were wrong for you.

Of course, this is a basic rule for most people, and not everyone. If you are a very fast rider, you may find that stiffer springs work for you. But for most, the standard guidelines hold up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mx43yzf

Posted November 26, 2006 - 07:24 PM

According to rule of thumb conventional wisdom, your springs are too stiff. The bike is sprung for riders in the 165-180 pound range. The deep free sag that you have at 95mm race sag indicates the spring has too high a spring rate for you, and since the front and rear are well matched from the factory, I'd say both ends were wrong for you.

Of course, this is a basic rule for most people, and not everyone. If you are a very fast rider, you may find that stiffer springs work for you. But for most, the standard guidelines hold up.

grayracer, I did change the springs see to 5.2 rear .42 front. So are my springs still to stiff???

• max49

Posted November 26, 2006 - 08:17 PM

This is not much help to you, but did you put a titanium spring in the rear?
I guess we or he doesnt know much about suspension because he likes it just the way the 07 came. He weighs 140lbs. I adjusted the preload about as soft as I dare and he has about 31/2" of sag.

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2006 - 08:40 PM

MX Tech's spring generator suggests .43 fronts and 5.1 rear for a rider who weighs 160 in gear, and .44/5.1 for one who weighs 165. You are pretty close, and while you may still want a softer rear spring, you can probably work with what you have.

And just as a sort of disclaimer, I don't consider suspension tuning to be one of my strongest skill areas.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.