06 WR450 Carb Question.

6 replies to this topic
  • jsmith811

Posted November 26, 2006 - 06:00 PM

Friend has 2006 WR450, While trail riding, we noticed when the bike came to a stop (in an upright position) it dumps fuel out the drain tubes occassionally(not sure which tube, overflow I assume), also when landing a small jump it dumps fuel out one of the drain tubes excessively, after removing the gas cap we noticed it seemed to be pressurized? Any ideas what this could be?

What are the symptoms of a sticking float bowl?
Is the tank supposed to have some pressure?

Currently bike has 48 pilot, 165 main, airbox snorkel removed, gray wire removed, float bowl has never been removed, the jets were changed thru the 17mm bolt on the bottom of the carb. If it's a problem with the float bowl, it's from the factory.

Bike has about 2000 miles.

We plan on checking the Float height, and needle valve seat/o-ring.

Does everyone agree that we should raise the float height by 1mm/which should lower the amount of fuel in the bowl?

• rhinoracin

Posted November 26, 2006 - 06:08 PM

sounds like it might be a sticking float bowl

• Fullbore4

Posted November 26, 2006 - 08:47 PM

I'd set the float to service manual spec.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OneToGo

Posted November 27, 2006 - 06:20 AM

Friend has 2006 WR450, While trail riding, we noticed when the bike came to a stop (in an upright position) it dumps fuel out the drain tubes occassionally(not sure which tube, overflow I assume), also when landing a small jump it dumps fuel out one of the drain tubes excessively, after removing the gas cap we noticed it seemed to be pressurized? Any ideas what this could be?

What are the symptoms of a sticking float bowl?
Is the tank supposed to have some pressure?

Currently bike has 48 pilot, 165 main, airbox snorkel removed, gray wire removed, float bowl has never been removed, the jets were changed thru the 17mm bolt on the bottom of the carb. If it's a problem with the float bowl, it's from the factory.

Bike has about 2000 miles.

We plan on checking the Float height, and needle valve seat/o-ring.

Does everyone agree that we should raise the float height by 1mm/which should lower the amount of fuel in the bowl?

Float sTicking sounds likely.
I would clean out the bowl and flush the jets.
I have read about this problem, it has come up several itmes in the last year - you might want to try replacing the needle valve, the seat may be worn or contaminated.
I would go with factory speck on the height.
Raising the float will raise the fuel level and v.v.!!
Check online PDF manual, the float clearance is difficult to understand without the pictures - read carefully.
Good luck

• clark4131

Posted November 27, 2006 - 07:32 AM

Classic sticking float symptoms. Pull the carb and give a good flushing with some carb cleaner. Pull the fuel bowl and the jets and let them soak while you're at it. The same thing happened to me and a friend's '06, and this cured the problems. Your float level is likely spot on, so don't start messing with that unless the problem doesn't go away. When diagnosing a problem, it's best to start with the simple stuff...SC

• old man dan

Posted November 27, 2006 - 10:07 AM

Before you start get some replacement bowl screws, the factory screws are really soft. Search in here for the correct size, a few people have posted the specs.

• MountainMax

Posted November 27, 2006 - 10:40 AM

well my bike does the same thing since new, my buddy also has an 06 and his does the same thing, we thought it was just normal, we noticie it after doing wheelies or endo's and after jumping, i thought the venting was just normal and the gas level was reaching the vent ports in these extreme positions and as the gas sloshes around.......

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.