YZ 426, using replacement threads in the oil filter cover bolt area.

6 replies to this topic
  • Dustykat

Posted November 26, 2006 - 12:52 PM

So, it finaly happened. The oil drain bolt in my YZ 426 pulled it's threads out of the case. I knew it was coming as the guy I bought the bike off of told me they were "kinda loose" what ever that ment.

But anyway, what is the prevaling opinion on using a replacement thread kit in this area. I know the little prong off the thread coil will be importaint to find but will the threads hold well enough to do this or am I stuck with buying a case half?:D :worthy: :prof:

• Goosedog

Posted November 26, 2006 - 01:37 PM

Same thing happened to my '02...reported cause was user neglecting to flush out the threaded holes with WD (or the like) during oil changes.

I was able to 'heli-coil' all three holes back to the original size without removing cases and got all new bolts (OEM) and it's good as new. :worthy:

• Nova1194

Posted November 26, 2006 - 01:47 PM

Helicoils will last longer and be stronger than the original thread was, as far as finding the little tang goes, I modifed a pair of small needle nose pliers to grab it with, work it back and forth and plull it out, I also installed magnetic drain plugs when I was done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • never59

Posted November 26, 2006 - 02:52 PM

Same thing happened on my 02 426. Helicoil is the way to go!

• Dustykat

Posted November 26, 2006 - 04:06 PM

Ok guys, sounds good. But what size should I look for? Also where did you buy your Helicoil sets?

• CRFThumper

Posted November 26, 2006 - 04:13 PM

If we are talking about the oil filter housing they are 6 mm.We just go to the local auto parts house and get them!Napa or the like will have them.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 26, 2006 - 04:23 PM

Here is what I used on my older 426's. I think a better design

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.