Wheel bearing? OEM or use cheaper ones?

7 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted November 26, 2006 - 12:51 PM

While installing a new front tire, I discovered my front wheel bearings are starting to go. Probably caused by my use of a pressure washer (i tried to be careful).....I have not yet yanked the rear to check.

The front one's don't hit the wallet too much, but the rear ones (even with TT prices), are pretty pricey. I've seen bearing kits on "that huge online auction place", that are much cheaper, but I'm wondering if the quality is decent.

Should I stay with OEM, or go with the cheapies???

Let me know those who have been down this road before.
Thanx

• Vibeguy

Posted November 26, 2006 - 01:02 PM

Take the number on the bearing to a local bearing supplier like US Bearings or Besco and ask for the same size bearing in an SKF sealed unit. Probably run you about $13 ea and well worth it.

The cheap bearings that have invaded ebay are most often made in China or North Korea (Nachi) and not worth the postage if they were giving them away.

• tnl

Posted November 26, 2006 - 04:12 PM

I just payed $30 for the lower steering bearing O.E.M. Was too lazy to shop around but I'm also interested about the track records of non O.E.M. brands.

• 642MX

Posted November 26, 2006 - 04:55 PM

The OEM bearings are not sealed. Pivot Works makes a wheel bearing kit with sealed bearings that will last 3 times as long as OEM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted November 26, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Thanks guy's....looks like Pivot Works may be the way to go.

• felix4x4

Posted November 26, 2006 - 07:20 PM

I have also had good luck with all balls brand bearing kits. They are sealed just like the pivot works jobs are.

• Budlite

Posted November 26, 2006 - 07:24 PM

Moose also sells bearings that are sealed on both sides. I've used PW also. It's a toss up.

• Matt96xr6

Posted November 26, 2006 - 08:31 PM

just go to your local bearing store like stated. Look in the phone book. Run them down the number of the seal or bearing. Tell them you want it double sided rubber sealed and they can get you what you want.

When you get the bearings, remove the seals there and GREASE THEM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.