Steering Stabilizers

16 replies to this topic
  • vavoom

Posted November 26, 2006 - 09:53 AM

I'm considering buying a stabilizer for my wr450 (06). I've looked at both the Scott and the GPR. Which do you all prefere and why?

• tony1970

Posted November 26, 2006 - 01:59 PM

Scotts. Easy to use and reliable. Do a general search of all forums and you will come up with a ton of recomendations for the Scotts.

• BRONCOW

Posted November 26, 2006 - 05:34 PM

Just put scotts on my 06 wr450 and love it!
Call tt store they give the killer price over all others, I shopped around.
Have heard good things about both brands better customer service with scotts.
:worthy: :D :prof:

• SteveWR450F

Posted November 26, 2006 - 05:34 PM

Definately Scotts. Great product. Its more adjustable than GPR. And Scotts has good customer service.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 26, 2006 - 06:39 PM

I have scotts, but know others that have the GPR. they both work, but I have personally been on the phone with the guys at Scotts and they are extremely easy to work with.

Make sure you get the mounting correct. That will enhance your experience with it. I had a big problem with the mounting collar and the pinch bolts not holding. I had to tack weld the mount to my frame, but now its perfect. I believe mine was a special case.

Get the scotts and you won't regret it. Here's what mine looks like.

Posted Image

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 26, 2006 - 07:48 PM

either one is going to get the job done. they are both around the same price for the most part. i went with the gpr sub mount which i highly recommed and some tro taper rc bend bars. this set up raise the bars about 3 inches. the stablizer works great. hope this helps:ride:

• DrThumper

Posted November 27, 2006 - 07:28 AM

I had a Scotts years ago, got ripped off, then I got a GPR...no difference. The only thing I didn't like about the Scotts is why do they put on a knob that they tell you not to touch? The GPR left this knob off (or that adjustment is inside). I'd buy the GPR and save some $$$.

• 642MX

Posted November 27, 2006 - 07:44 AM

either one is going to get the job done. they are both around the same price for the most part. i went with the gpr sub mount which i highly recommed and some tro taper rc bend bars. this set up raise the bars about 3 inches. the stablizer works great. hope this helps:ride:

Can you post some pics of this set up? I'm needing a dampener and I could use the extra bar height aswell. I just want to see what it looks like when its all together.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Seabass

Posted November 27, 2006 - 03:14 PM

You can also go with a sub bar mount with the Scotts damper. BRP does a set up that's pretty kick ass. I've always gone with the Scoots damper and have no complaints what so ever. I know guys that are sponsored by GPR, get the damper for free, and still complain.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 27, 2006 - 08:02 PM

Can you post some pics of this set up? I'm needing a dampener and I could use the extra bar height aswell. I just want to see what it looks like when its all together.

Posted Image

here you go

• 642MX

Posted November 27, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Posted Image

here you go

Thanks! That looks like what I need.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 27, 2006 - 08:19 PM

Thanks! That looks like what I need.

its nice you cant go wrong!

• byggd

Posted November 28, 2006 - 05:13 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Scott’s has more adjustability and as far as I know is the only dampener that has no resistance when returning to center.

• SUnruh

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:03 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Scott’s has more adjustability and as far as I know is the only dampener that has no resistance when returning to center.

you are correct.
most people do NOT know this. it is the only short coming of the gpr.
the scotts has free resistance to center and the gpr still dampens.
and most people don't know that the scotts is made in the usa under contract from ohlins.
ohlins of course is owned by yamaha. :worthy:

• J_DOGG

Posted November 28, 2006 - 12:24 PM

Yup and that is why I got the scotts with the scotts triple clamp, works perfect!

• tony1970

Posted November 28, 2006 - 04:05 PM

Bingo! The Scotts unit is the original, the rest are copies. You get what you pay for.

• GCannon

Posted November 28, 2006 - 04:29 PM

Once you choose the Stabalizer then you can start a new thread on what type of mounting system to choose.
This should be great.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.