Changing sprockets & chain?!

6 replies to this topic
  • boer

Posted November 26, 2006 - 02:39 AM

I am looking at getting a 48t rear sprocket for my 06'WR450. I have nearly 2000km on the bike now of which the most are in the desert where the chain runs dry a lot of the time.

What is the general recomendation for replacing sprockets and chain. Should one do all 3 at the same time or can I change only the rear sprocket and keep front sprocket and chain?:worthy:

• Wasabi

Posted November 26, 2006 - 02:48 AM

They say to change all 3 at once, but I say if the chain and front sprocket are still good, just change the rear. You still might want to order all 3 where you are......

I run the 48t by the way, I love it, I don't seem to go for that 6th gear as much and it spreads out the gears a bit too, limiting the wheel spin. I also found it didn't really sap the bike of its power / acceleration like 15/50 did.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted November 26, 2006 - 12:13 PM

I am looking at getting a 48t rear sprocket for my 06'WR450. I have nearly 2000km on the bike now of which the most are in the desert where the chain runs dry a lot of the time.

What is the general recomendation for replacing sprockets and chain. Should one do all 3 at the same time or can I change only the rear sprocket and keep front sprocket and chain?:worthy:

Yes, do all 3 when its worn out. Stock was 14/50 and I think it is 114 links. If you drop to a 48 in the rear, 112 links should work. Add or subtract if you change the front sprocket. But a longer chain doesnt hurt, you'll have a spare piece is all. If you replace the rear sprocket, replace the lock nuts or atleast, use locktite on the nuts and check them periodically. If they work loose, you will munch the rear hub in short order!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wasabi

Posted November 26, 2006 - 12:27 PM

If you drop to a 48 in the rear, 112 links should work.

I'm sure I couldn't drop any links when I went to the 48t.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 26, 2006 - 02:50 PM

I got aftermarket axle blocks so I could use the same chain for all my sproket combinations. You may want to try that. Plus they look trick too. :worthy:

• farkawi

Posted November 26, 2006 - 03:55 PM

The best practice is to replace all at the same time. I prefer steel sprockets for durability especially in sand. Having said that, I am guilty of swapping sprockets around without replacing everything, as gearing changes are sometimes necessary. My stock chain has over 1100 miles on it so I'd call it a good piece.

While you're at it; make sure to back out the chain adjuster bolts all the way and slather them with anti-seize or grease and run them all the way in before adjusting the chain. If you've never broken off an adjuster bolt in the swingarm; you don't want to.

• boer

Posted November 29, 2006 - 09:19 PM

So with stock axle blocks and 114 link chain i'll be ok:excuseme:

I am looking at the JT steel sprockets and either DID or RK chain.

What do you guys recommend chain wise:excuseme: . I have seem some black & gold chains. BLING. Who makes those?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.