Rekluse Questions...

19 replies to this topic
  • Old_Yeller

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:47 PM

I've decided to buy a Rekluse clutch and I have a couple of questions.

1) Is the rear brake kit worth $200? Is there a cheaper solution somewhere else?

2) Should I use the dual brake option so I can still keep my foot brake? Seems like a waist to keep the foot brake if you can use a handbrake instead. If I do go with the handbrake option, how do I make my brake light switch work? Right now it screws into the rear brake master cylinder.

3) Should I keep the hand clutch and buy the perch adjuster for it? How do you adjust the clutch if you don't have the Perch Adjuster? Is it worth $100? I would also have to buy a different clutch cable for $40!

4) How hard is it to install? I've never worked on a clutch before. Will I need any special tools?

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 26, 2006 - 03:07 PM

I've decided to buy a Rekluse clutch and I have a couple of questions.

1) Is the rear brake kit worth $200? Is there a cheaper solution somewhere else?

2) Should I use the dual brake option so I can still keep my foot brake? Seems like a waist to keep the foot brake if you can use a handbrake instead. If I do go with the handbrake option, how do I make my brake light switch work? Right now it screws into the rear brake master cylinder.

3) Should I keep the hand clutch and buy the perch adjuster for it? How do you adjust the clutch if you don't have the Perch Adjuster? Is it worth $100? I would also have to buy a different clutch cable for $40!

4) How hard is it to install? I've never worked on a clutch before. Will I need any special tools?

The hand brake is definatley worth it. It is totally awesome. It will suck to ride a bike with a foot brake after you get used to it. I looked far and wide for a cheaper solution to Rekluses $200.00 setup. Couldnt find anything really worth it. I would ditch the foot brake. Its definalty not worth the $400.00 to run the dual setup. I tried the perch adjuster, while it does work, I didnt think it worked well. You lose the 'feel' of a normal clutch and the perch adjuster needed constant adjustment. Once I got the external adjuster set where I liked it I havent touched it since. If you do want the perch adjuster, I could sell you mine for cheap. As far as install, its pretty easy. I am not exactly sharp when it comes to mechanical things:busted: . I did mine with no major issues. Just read the directions first, so you get an idea of what you are doing. Then follow them step by step. You will be fine. I think feeler guages and a torqe wrench are the only special tools you need. I thought I should have both of those anyways so I just bought them. Good luck, you are soon to find a new love.:worthy:

• handlebar

Posted November 26, 2006 - 03:54 PM

The hand brake is definatley worth it. It is totally awesome. .:worthy:

How big a "tug"on the lever does it take to lock the back brake and does your hand get tired in technical trails??

• wr429j

Posted November 26, 2006 - 04:28 PM

No big tug, I use only my index fingers on the front and rear brake and can lock either one at will. I dont have Popeye forearms!!!
I dont miss the foot brake at all.
Follow the well written instructions and you will have great results.
Phone support is great, they always want to make sure that I am happy!

• Old_Yeller

Posted November 26, 2006 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for your advice! I'll go with the rear hand brake solution and loose the foot brake all together.

• rhinoracin

Posted November 26, 2006 - 06:06 PM

on my wr250 i have the rekluse clutch and still have the stock clutch lever to override it. that is something i would recommend

• gregwr450f

Posted November 26, 2006 - 09:50 PM

I have done what you are thinking of doing, I highly recommend it.
I bought the magura clutch and had a braided line made up.
The only thing is to remember to use silicon based brake fluid as it is compatiable with both the magura and the rear caliper.
1 finger will lock the rear wheel easily.

• AUS_WR450

Posted November 26, 2006 - 09:53 PM

Sir,

Do you have any pics of this setup? It sounds like the way to go. You seem to be a very resourceful dirtbloke. Have you tried a trials tyre on your bike? That combination would then be quite a remarkable setup. You could ride up any hill

• gregwr450f

Posted November 26, 2006 - 10:03 PM

Yes I do indeed, I shall post them later as I can't post attachments on this fine forum located in the good old US of A.

• gregwr450f

Posted November 26, 2006 - 10:10 PM

I think you may be "stirring the pot" so to speak!!
Here is the pic
Posted Image Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • waynus

Posted November 27, 2006 - 03:17 AM

Sir,

Do you have any pics of this setup? It sounds like the way to go. You seem to be a very resourceful dirtbloke. Have you tried a trials tyre on your bike? That combination would then be quite a remarkable setup. You could ride up any hill

I think that if you were to use the trials tyre with the rekluse, you would soon be joining the losing team. imo

Going downhill would have a whole new meaning

• gregwr450f

Posted November 27, 2006 - 04:46 AM

I think that if you were to use the trials tyre with the rekluse, you would soon be joining the losing team. imo

Why?............

• byggd

Posted November 27, 2006 - 05:18 AM

I have the perch adjuster and while I seldom find the need to use it there are sometimes that I’m glad I have it.

1) When down shifting, especially when I’m riding on the street. Without it the trans takes quite a hit when downshifting.
2) A couple of times I have stalled on a hill climb. When I restart the bike it’s nice to be able to pull the clutch in and rev the bike a few times to clear it out.
3) It’s nice a times to be able to flick the clutch to loft the front wheel.
Just my 2 cents worth

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 27, 2006 - 10:14 PM

3) It’s nice a times to be able to flick the clutch to loft the front wheel.
Just my 2 cents worth

Do you really need to flick the clutch to loft the front wheel on a 450. I have never needed to do that, is it just me?:worthy:

• byggd

Posted November 28, 2006 - 05:08 AM

Do you really need to flick the clutch to loft the front wheel on a 450. I have never needed to do that, is it just me?:worthy:

You busting my chops B&B? :D On an open trail or when you can see an obstacle coming I agree, no need to flick the clutch just lean back a bit and roll the throttle. But riding in the woods you occasionally come upon a downed tree after a blind turn. :prof:

• AkRider

Posted November 28, 2006 - 10:37 AM

Did any of you replace your clutch before you installed the rekluse? I still have the stock clutch in my 03 and I'm going to install a rekluse this spring.
Also do any of you ride a track at all? What is it like to jump with a rekluse clutch?

• nels curnow

Posted November 28, 2006 - 02:54 PM

I have a 03 450 and have all the trick Rekluse goods, it's well worth the $$

I chose to keep the foot brake but can't say I use it, the hand lever is superior to the foot! I also have the perch adjuster and am happy for the "trail side adj", I did not replace either the clutch pack or the cable. I have over 2000 trail miles on the bike, a 6 day-800 mile race, and lots of play time, no issues. I check and adjust about once a year or 500 mi?

I have 5 bikes now and have converted all of them to the Rekluse set up with hand brakes. You will not be disapointed.

As far as track, the YZ 450 rips with the Rekluse no more stalls!!! put it in
3rd and twist the gas! Depending on your preferance, adjust the engagement to allow enjine braking or free wheel.

The best $$$ spent on any bike!!!

• AkRider

Posted November 28, 2006 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the info. Now if it was only May so I could ride my bike instead of my snowmobile.

• jerryls

Posted November 28, 2006 - 07:12 PM

Funny enough I have a Rekluse and just posted a review of the Dunlop 803 in the Off-Road forum: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=441557

You can lock up a knobby on a downhill and it will slide. With the trials tire it might slide a little bit when you first lock it up, but will eventually grab and bring you to a full stop. After almost going over the bars the first time, I learned to drag the rear brake on downhills.

Jerry

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 28, 2006 - 08:42 PM

You busting my chops B&B? :D On an open trail or when you can see an obstacle coming I agree, no need to flick the clutch just lean back a bit and roll the throttle. But riding in the woods you occasionally come upon a downed tree after a blind turn. :prof:

No sir, I wasnt bustin on ya. I was honestly just curious. I just always lean back, blip the throttle, and up she comes. Thanks for the reply. :worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.