Switching filter and need advise.

5 replies to this topic
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted November 25, 2006 - 07:02 PM

On a xr650r, I am switching out my K&N filter for a UNI with xrs only backfire screen. Does anyone have experience with both filters? I assume the UNI will richen it up if anything. Or does the UNI flow the same or more? Thank you.

• justarider

Posted November 25, 2006 - 08:34 PM

I don't think you'll notice any difference in airflow. But I know the UNI cleans fine dust better than the free flowing K&N. One look at your air intake and you already know this. I am wondering if you are switching because of this or the fact that the K&N is a pain to clean as well.

• big t

Posted November 25, 2006 - 10:50 PM

You will be happy with the Uni.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted November 26, 2006 - 01:57 PM

I don't believe the Uni will change your jetting ....
But I do believe the Uni is a better filter..:worthy:

:D :prof:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted November 26, 2006 - 03:10 PM

I am wondering if you are switching because of this or the fact that the K&N is a pain to clean as well.

I never though it was hard to clean if you have the K&N oil and cleaner. Yes I noticed fine dust in the airbox. I always kept it clean and i ride dual sport so there is not a vast amount of dust anyway. Also wondering if you guys use special rim grease on the UNI or just standard grease like Conoco or Mobil in the tube?

• motopsycho650

Posted November 27, 2006 - 06:37 AM

I have the XR's Only screen. It's not as free-flowing as you'd think. I made marks where the side panel pushes on it, and cut 4 large holes out of the screen. MUCH BETTER!
Posted Image

I'm told with a Uni filter, you don't need a backfire screen. I think it has a support built in. I use a stock replacement Twin Air with my customized XR's Only back fire screen.

P.S. Other than structural strength, you don't need a backfire screen. The factory adds it as a "safety feature," but trust me, if you burn your air filter, you have much bigger engine issues to worry about.

My personal recommendation is a Twin Air powerflow kit. $39.99 from Chaparral. http://www.chaparral...t=false&GiftID=

For some reason, the 650R kit is not in the USA Twin Air website, but I called them with the part numbers, and you can order straight from Twin Air. $47.99 for the kit - Part #150506c. $32.99 for replacement filters - Part #150506.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.