Which master cylinder fits?

7 replies to this topic
  • GunnerV

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:53 AM

HI all,
I have a 98 YZ400F and I am trying to improve my front brakes. I am switching to a CR routing SS line but I heard that switching to a Nissin master cylinder is the hot set up. Anyone know which model/year to get? There are a few CRF m/c on ebay, but I don't know what applications are a direct bolt on. Anyone here make the switch?

• RCannon

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:57 AM

I have used the CR Honda master cylinder without any issues.

The only difference between any of them is where th eline leaves the mastercylinder. Honda and older Suzuki's have the line leaving on back of the m/c. The Yamaha's and kawasaki's have it leaving in the front.

I would buy whatever one you can get the best price on.

• sime

Posted November 25, 2006 - 03:39 PM

I just upgraded my '00 YZ426F to a YZ426F 2002 Nissin master cylinder and noticed a slight improvement over the older type (I also upgraded the rear master to a '03 YZ250F master cylinder which is a grate upgrade to). The SS line should also make a slight improvement too also use some Motul brake fluid its supposed to be good stuff.

• Matt96xr6

Posted November 26, 2006 - 09:00 AM

get the 04 or newer units. THey have different bore sizes in them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GunnerV

Posted November 26, 2006 - 09:18 AM

get the 04 or newer units. THey have different bore sizes in them.

If I get a Honda m/c, do I use a Honda front brake line? Or do I get a "CR Routing" YZ line?

• powdertwoplanker

Posted August 04, 2012 - 03:39 PM

Does anyone know if a 2003 YZ450 front master cylinder will work on the 99 YZ400F?

I install one on my bike, but now I have no feel in the leveler. The brakes where fine before hand. I bleed them about a dozen times in all ways. I'm thinking that maybe it needs to be rebuilt, but also heard that it might not push enough fuild.

The only reason I changed is because of the way the lever bolts to the MC.

• marv02

Posted August 05, 2012 - 08:53 AM

I am using a MC off a 2004 CRF250 I think I paid $35.00 E-Bay also using a OEM brake hose off a CRF fit great.

I also using lower fork slider guards from Light Speed the are made for the CR type hose routing.

You will like it the bike will stop.

• merk57

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:43 AM

i just installed a 09 crx450 master cylinder, with a yzf ss brake line on my 10 yz450f, i should have bought the cr brake line but mine still works just have to buy a number plate brake hose guide. the stopping power is amazing!!!!! i should have gotten the crf mc tho considering the parts in the pits guy at the track only stocks crf and not crx brake levers, yes they are different.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.