ProCircuit 496 vs FMF Q2

9 replies to this topic
  • Poway1464

Posted November 24, 2006 - 07:37 PM

Currently running a ProCircuit Type 496 slip on and thinking about changing it for a FMF Q2. Primary reasoning is sound, the 496 is borderline 96dB (I have had comments about how loud it is) and the Q2 supposedly passes all of the Ranger tests.

Comments anyone?

Larry

• Wasabi

Posted November 24, 2006 - 08:03 PM

How about repacking it? They need repacking now and again......
I use the silent sport stringy stuff packing, works a treat. FMF make a good stringy packing too.
I wouldn't waste money on another pipe that produces less power.

• BlueBlood Rider

Posted November 24, 2006 - 08:33 PM

I had both and ended up selling the Pro Circuit. It was just too loud for my tastes and sensibilities. I now use a Dr. D for the track and the Q2 whenever I ride trails or woods.:worthy:

• OneToGo

Posted November 27, 2006 - 06:29 AM

I had both and ended up selling the Pro Circuit. It was just too loud for my tastes and sensibilities. I now use a Dr. D for the track and the Q2 whenever I ride trails or woods.:worthy:

Good to know, Q2 is great and reported to be anywhere between 93 and 96dB.
Not much louder than stock which is around 90 (93 is actually double 90 as a 3Db rise is twice the peak noise intensity..96 = 2x93, 99=2x96 etc etc.)
Q2 can be matched with powerbomb (sx SSteel is really nice ) and alu end can. Watch out for titanium, very little weight saved for the Q2 and much easier to dent.
Enjoy:ride:

• Poway1464

Posted December 08, 2006 - 07:24 PM

I was going to repack it to give it a try but my experience tells be that it won't make much difference. My bet is that it is pushing 99 dB. Side by side to a wr450 with Q2 is no contest, Q2 is more quiet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wasabi

Posted December 09, 2006 - 04:52 PM

I was going to repack it to give it a try but my experience tells be that it won't make much difference. My bet is that it is pushing 99 dB. Side by side to a wr450 with Q2 is no contest, Q2 is more quiet.

No way should the 496 be 99dB.
Repack it, my Procircuit Ti GP dropped dB's more than noticably.
You are probably repacking it incorrectly if you can't tell a difference.
What packing are you using? Try the silent sport packing mate, it works wonders!
A muffler 1 - 2 rides old will be quieter than a freshly packed muffler too.
The Q2's are quieter than the 496's, but 496's are still legal.
Muffler packing is cheap, new mufflers are not.

In the end, it is up to you.....

• rrliedt

Posted December 09, 2006 - 05:28 PM

I have a Q2 muffle on my 05 450F with the original header pipe, and I've been riding a few times with a friend of mine that has the ProCircuit 496 and original header pipe. My first impression was that his 496 was quieter, but I don't know for sure because I'm usually much closer to my pipe than his. The Q2 is still pretty loud.... I really wish I was a little quieter in the woods.

I've never been tested by a Ranger, but I woun't be surprised if I didn't pass (or just borderline pass, if I did pass).

FMF literature claims that adding the PowerBomb header pipe cuts the noise level by another 1.5dB. Has anybody verified this? If so, does the PowerBomb add any noticable power? (no intent of stealing the thread)...

Ride on...:worthy:

• Poway1464

Posted December 09, 2006 - 08:55 PM

I plan on repacking it, but right now it is considerably louder than the DRD on the 2006 YZ450.

• Fullbore4

Posted December 09, 2006 - 09:12 PM

I have a Q2 muffle on my 05 450F with the original header pipe, and I've been riding a few times with a friend of mine that has the ProCircuit 496 and original header pipe. My first impression was that his 496 was quieter, but I don't know for sure because I'm usually much closer to my pipe than his. The Q2 is still pretty loud.... I really wish I was a little quieter in the woods.

I've never been tested by a Ranger, but I woun't be surprised if I didn't pass (or just borderline pass, if I did pass).

FMF literature claims that adding the PowerBomb header pipe cuts the noise level by another 1.5dB. Has anybody verified this? If so, does the PowerBomb add any noticable power? (no intent of stealing the thread)...

Ride on...:worthy:

I have an 06wr450 with a Q2 with powerbomb header and it does make it a little quieter but power is about the same if not a little less than stock header.

• Wasabi

Posted December 09, 2006 - 11:06 PM

I plan on repacking it, but right now it is considerably louder than the DRD on the 2006 YZ450.

:worthy: Make sure you take photo's of the packing (or what's left) when you repack it!

When's the last time you repacked it?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.