Has your choke choked

Hey guys, i had the choke butterfly self distruct on my xr, it a common problem so if you havent replaced yours with a one peice item, now might be a good time.

How i discovered it was that the spark plug electrode gap kept closing from time to time so i thought it was time to investigate.

Motor out

P1010019.jpg

Strip down

P1010023.jpg

The items floating around in the cylinder

P1010023.jpg

The head

P1010025.jpg

The bits in the cylinder

P1010006.jpg

Back together

P1010130.jpg

P1010125.jpg

No major damage was done thank god, i gave the old girl a valve grind and she was all good.

I made a one peice stainless butterfly so i wont be having this problem again

I'm not sure what specifically gave out from your pics. I know about the spring failure issues on the choke pate. I just removed the spring loaded door all together on my 650R. I'm not sure how this effects other XR's, but it made my bike EASIER to start. I had to adjust my cold starting tricks a little, but it doesn't seem to have any negative effect.

I'm not sure what specifically gave out from your pics. I know about the spring failure issues on the choke pate. I just removed the spring loaded door all together on my 650R. I'm not sure how this effects other XR's, but it made my bike EASIER to start. I had to adjust my cold starting tricks a little, but it doesn't seem to have any negative effect.

I have a 600. I managed to catch mine before it failed. It wasn't just the spring and the flap, it was the whole plate. The flapper spring had already failed, and the flapper was literally hanging by a thread. The rest of the choke plate had a crack that almost went all the way through it.

This is something that needs to be addressed on every one of these bikes. When it fails it can do catastrophic damage.

What happens in this case is the spring lets go, as in no more spring, then the flap starts to flap about freely and starts to stress the thin wall section of the seat area of the butterfly and it starts cracking and falling apart from fateeg, those parts end up going through your induction and can create some serious issuse with the valves and seats. In my case i was very lucky.

SO BE WARNED.....

If it were mine I'd leave the choke plate out..I removed mine on the BRP and just layed the biike on its side for a moment and regular drill it would start

first to second kick....

I have a Edelbrock now...Just a few twist and she fires right off...:worthy:

The Edelbrock has no choke ...

:D:prof:

If i could afford an Edelbrock i would have one, it would solve the leanout issues the standard carbs suffer from when you quickly punch the throttle.