Has your choke choked

6 replies to this topic
  • ozjock

Posted November 24, 2006 - 06:42 PM

Hey guys, i had the choke butterfly self distruct on my xr, it a common problem so if you havent replaced yours with a one peice item, now might be a good time.

How i discovered it was that the spark plug electrode gap kept closing from time to time so i thought it was time to investigate.

Motor out
Posted Image

Strip down
Posted Image

The items floating around in the cylinder
Posted Image

The head
Posted Image

The bits in the cylinder
Posted Image

Back together
Posted Image

Posted Image

No major damage was done thank god, i gave the old girl a valve grind and she was all good.

I made a one peice stainless butterfly so i wont be having this problem again

• motopsycho650

Posted November 24, 2006 - 06:53 PM

I'm not sure what specifically gave out from your pics. I know about the spring failure issues on the choke pate. I just removed the spring loaded door all together on my 650R. I'm not sure how this effects other XR's, but it made my bike EASIER to start. I had to adjust my cold starting tricks a little, but it doesn't seem to have any negative effect.

• cleonard

Posted November 24, 2006 - 11:29 PM

I'm not sure what specifically gave out from your pics. I know about the spring failure issues on the choke pate. I just removed the spring loaded door all together on my 650R. I'm not sure how this effects other XR's, but it made my bike EASIER to start. I had to adjust my cold starting tricks a little, but it doesn't seem to have any negative effect.

I have a 600. I managed to catch mine before it failed. It wasn't just the spring and the flap, it was the whole plate. The flapper spring had already failed, and the flapper was literally hanging by a thread. The rest of the choke plate had a crack that almost went all the way through it.

This is something that needs to be addressed on every one of these bikes. When it fails it can do catastrophic damage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ozjock

Posted November 25, 2006 - 03:29 AM

Sorry i left a pic out

here's a pic of the old butterfly, well whats left of it.

Posted Image

• ozjock

Posted November 25, 2006 - 03:37 AM

What happens in this case is the spring lets go, as in no more spring, then the flap starts to flap about freely and starts to stress the thin wall section of the seat area of the butterfly and it starts cracking and falling apart from fateeg, those parts end up going through your induction and can create some serious issuse with the valves and seats. In my case i was very lucky.

SO BE WARNED.....

• frankstr

Posted November 25, 2006 - 12:23 PM

If it were mine I'd leave the choke plate out..I removed mine on the BRP and just layed the biike on its side for a moment and regular drill it would start
first to second kick....
I have a Edelbrock now...Just a few twist and she fires right off...:worthy:
The Edelbrock has no choke ...

:D :prof:

• ozjock

Posted November 25, 2006 - 01:39 PM

If it were mine I'd leave the choke plate out..I removed mine on the BRP and just layed the biike on its side for a moment and regular drill it would start
first to second kick....
I have a Edelbrock now...Just a few twist and she fires right off...:worthy:
The Edelbrock has no choke ...

:D :prof:

If i could afford an Edelbrock i would have one, it would solve the leanout issues the standard carbs suffer from when you quickly punch the throttle.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.