I need ingenuity ideas 650R

4 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted November 24, 2006 - 06:41 PM

I shattered my left femur in an off-road crash around a year & 8 months ago. As a result, my left leg is 1 inch shorter than my right leg. I normally wear shoes with a lift, but when I ride I have a hard time getting my toe under the shift lever.

Any ideas on how to lift the left foot peg & shift lever 1 inch? A spacer bracket for the foot peg wouldn't be hard to make, but the shift lever is a bit harder. I'm a good mechanic, but a bad welder.

• weskc35k

Posted November 24, 2006 - 06:59 PM

Sorry to hear about your acident but the good news is you got back on the pig that threw you.
You will work it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted November 24, 2006 - 07:11 PM

What about welding on about a 1" "L" extension on the shift lever? The modded lever would look like an L, laying down on its long side, with the shift-knob attached to the short side, sticking up. This would raise the knob to the same height as the new left peg.

Should be pretty simple to fab: just take the stocker, cut the end off about 1" from the knob-end, weld in a new extension to the "long" end of the other piece, and weld the two new sections together to make the "L" ...

A machine shop would not charge you more than $15-20. A good welder-buddy would do it for a brewski or two.

I take my hat off to you, motopsycho: a train-wreck like you had and you still gotta ride. You get my vote.

Live and learn, my man.

Ride safe now, y'hear?

• motopsycho650

Posted November 25, 2006 - 08:34 AM

Thanks, I have a cousin who's a good welder.

I have been on a dirt bike for 22 years, a broken leg won't stop me. I saw a guy last year with a prosthetic left leg below the knee, AND a prosthetic left arm below the elbow. He was out riding at Rampart. Because of his arm, he moved the clutch lever to the right side, and rode without a front brake. I thought that was cool.

I look at it this way, if I hadn't of done the leg, I'd be racing my bike, and something worse would have happened. Karma put me in my place. It happens.

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 25, 2006 - 02:15 PM

Glad to help. Let us know how it works out.

Indeed, "It happens." What separates the men from the boys is how we respond when "it happens."

You are an inspiration to us all.

Ride safe. Enjoy!

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.