lifespan of front fork seals

20 replies to this topic
  • davo ttt

Posted November 24, 2006 - 05:30 PM

i have a wr450 06 ive got 300 miles on the clock and i seem to have slight oil leak on the front left is this normal after such a short period i havent done any jumps just trails and if it needs new seals can it be done easily?

• Wasabi

Posted November 24, 2006 - 05:45 PM

You probably just have a bit of crap stuck in there mate, do the film/card trick to clean them out and you should be good. Just pry the dust seal out first.

A blown forkseal will spew out nearly all the oil everywhere - big mess.

• davo ttt

Posted November 24, 2006 - 05:49 PM

thnx mate:ride:

• Fryboy

Posted November 25, 2006 - 05:43 AM

Hey Davo,

Get some sealsavers. I have well over 2K miles with them and haven't had a leak since. :worthy:

• MountainMax

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:27 AM

what are sealsavers? and again, how long can we expect before they leak out?

• davo ttt

Posted November 25, 2006 - 03:19 PM

sealsavers look like this they are neoprene they are supposed to work good you wPosted Image
ill have to look them up

• MountainMax

Posted November 25, 2006 - 04:48 PM

Any Pics of them installed?

• davo ttt

Posted November 25, 2006 - 05:50 PM

http://www.sealsavers.com/ this is just 1 brand of many you should get a pic here:ride:

• MountainMax

Posted November 25, 2006 - 06:26 PM

Ok, it says to slip them on, does that mean you have to take your fork off first?

• tony1970

Posted November 25, 2006 - 06:53 PM

Try these. http://www.krewmx.com/equipment.htm You do not have too remove your forks to take them on and off and you can clean them after every ride. Also after washing your bike spray the lower fork legs with silicone spray and remove and clean the lower wiper every now and then.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • h20mn

Posted November 25, 2006 - 08:45 PM

I too have a 06 wr450 with only 650 miles and lost a fork seal took to shop cost me 280.00 for both forks hope this isn't a common problem

• davo ttt

Posted November 26, 2006 - 12:12 AM

well i done the film/card trick and thnx to wasabi it seems to have worked .glad i didnt take it to the shop

• Wasabi

Posted November 26, 2006 - 03:01 AM

I too have a 06 wr450 with only 650 miles and lost a fork seal took to shop cost me 280.00 for both forks hope this isn't a common problem

:worthy: Did you walk out with a revalve and new springs or what???

• Wasabi

Posted November 26, 2006 - 03:02 AM

well i done the film/card trick and thnx to wasabi it seems to have worked .glad i didnt take it to the shop

They are easy to replace and a pair of seals is like $40 for us Davo.....

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 26, 2006 - 02:32 PM

I keep a stack of film negative strips just for this occasion. They work great and are cheap. :worthy:

• davo ttt

Posted November 26, 2006 - 10:08 PM

i didnt use any replacement parts just camera negative film i also found this on tt :worthy: http://www.cajunmx.com/forkseal.htm

• MountainMax

Posted November 27, 2006 - 10:21 AM

Great explination Davo, I must try this with mine, when i find some camera film negatives, been using digicam for so long now...............

Posted Image

• drtbk4ever

Posted November 27, 2006 - 02:22 PM

i didnt use any replacement parts just camera negative film i also found this on tt :worthy: http://www.cajunmx.com/forkseal.htm

Very nice step by step instructions. I didn't realize you had to slide the fork seal covers down.

And I used those magazine subscription return mail cards (like the dozen or so that fall out of the Dirt Rider magazine) instead of a film negative. I think I read on TT that someone used business cards with great results. So is it OK to use those cards (or business cards) instead of the film negative?

• MountainMax

Posted November 27, 2006 - 05:03 PM

I would be afraid any type of paper could get oil soaked ans stay embedded under the seal, i will have to try harder to find some old negatives.

Posted Image

• davo ttt

Posted November 27, 2006 - 10:01 PM

use the negatives or something equivelent thin thin thin

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.