bottom steering ball race

7 replies to this topic
  • tnl

Posted November 24, 2006 - 02:54 PM

Is it possible to remove the bottom ball/race set off of the steering stem? Under item # 1. http://oem.thumperta...0Fsteering.aspx
The above link doesn't show it there but my 05 has one. The bottom bearings had to be pryed pretty hard just to get them off the stem. Unfortunatley, I damaged the bottom ball/race and tried to pry/punch it off but can't seem to get it to move?

• rcummings1

Posted November 24, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Buy a Park Race remover and whack it until it comes out. I got lucky and used the one from my Aluminum Mtn Bike days. Slide it in from the bottom and when the tines snick into place, whack away. Careful putting the new one in, you need to freeze it for a couple of hours first.

http://motorcycletoo...age.php?pID=301

• tnl

Posted November 24, 2006 - 04:56 PM

That tool won't help me because the bottom bearing and seal are stuck to the bottom of the stem! When I removed the guts the bottom bearing didn't stay seated in the frame.

• Chrome Speedo

Posted November 24, 2006 - 07:16 PM

You need a press.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 25, 2006 - 08:55 PM

To elaborate, the stem must be pressed out the bottom of the lower triple clamp. This wlll remove the bearing from the stem in the process.

• tnl

Posted November 26, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Thanks guy's! I guess next time I'll just clean that lower bearing without removing it usless I buy a press. I also need to buy a shop manual instead of this brief owners manual.

• shockdoc

Posted November 26, 2006 - 08:39 PM

That tool won't help me because the bottom bearing and seal are stuck to the bottom of the stem! When I removed the guts the bottom bearing didn't stay seated in the frame.

The bottom bearing is pressed onto the stem. It never will stay in the steering head. The race for that bearing however is pressed into the steering head and not underneath the bearing.

doc

• tnl

Posted November 26, 2006 - 08:54 PM

Yes, you're right! That lower bearing is all one piece. I managed to mash it up enough while trying to take it off that it looked like 2 pieces. I won't do that again!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.