weight comparison honda yamaha 250 450

8 replies to this topic
  • daveybobcat

Posted November 24, 2006 - 02:01 PM

im thinking about getting a new bike to take overseas with me. I currently have a yamaha wr400 that I absolutely love. It seems to have more power than I have ever needed but it feels high and seems a little heavy at times.
Can one of you thumper-brains tell me the difference in the weights of the

1.yamaha wr450f
2. honda crf450
3. Yamaha wr250f
4. honda crf250

for some reason, while searching the forums there are lots of different figures out there. Im just trying to make an apple to apple comparison to see if the loss in power is worth the loss in weight.

a third item of interest is the idea that the new design of the hondas 06 or 07 makes the bike feel like you are riding so much lower to the ground hence a lighter feeling ride. Any input on this?

Thanks guys

• Wasabi

Posted November 24, 2006 - 02:16 PM

I would just wait and throw a leg over an '07 WR450F.
I wouldn't think there was any decission to make!

From what I have read in mag comparisons, the WR's are actually lighter than the CRFX's, but like you say, theres lots of figures out there.

• daveybobcat

Posted November 24, 2006 - 02:18 PM

just noticed something another user posted. From Dom Tomac:

Re: 250 EXC-F Vs CR-F 250 weight

When the Japanese say "dry" weight, they mean it - no gas, transmission fluid, fork oil, shock oil. Also, what makes the biggest difference for most models discussed in this thread - NO BATTERY! The battery's not included at all, not even with the acid drained. So you loose all that lead too, and that's good for saving ~8 lbs or so on most dirtbikes.

http://www.thumperta...216#post3867216

• daveybobcat

Posted November 24, 2006 - 02:22 PM

WasAAAAAbi,
hey man, im a slim guy at 145lbs. Why do you recommend the wr450 for weight? have they changed up the configuration of the bike like the honda, with the changes in the overhead cam and frame etc?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wasabi

Posted November 24, 2006 - 03:45 PM

WasAAAAAbi,
hey man, im a slim guy at 145lbs. Why do you recommend the wr450 for weight? have they changed up the configuration of the bike like the honda, with the changes in the overhead cam and frame etc?

Sorry, you posted in the WR450 forum.....

New '07 yamaha's are alloy frame, but motors are esentially the same as before. There is differences, but still same great design.

For you i'd just go a 250F, they have plenty of go esp for someone your size.
Just a word of caution, every CRF250X I have known about up here have cost their owners lots of greif (valves every time).

The new KTM 250excf's are a sweet bike too. They have a real winner there. The lightest of the lot too.

I'd choose between blue and orange for sure. :worthy:

• Wasabi

Posted November 24, 2006 - 10:46 PM

Just reading latest ADB mag (aussie mag) and here are some weights
All are full of fuel, ready to ride. "True" weights.
121kgs - '06 WR250F
117kgs - '06 CRF250X
113kgs - '07 KTM 250EXC-F

• daveybobcat

Posted November 24, 2006 - 11:58 PM

Excellent!!! so does your Australian dirt bike mag show weights for the 06 450 blue and 450 red?
Im assuming that you ride a wr450? what year?

• Wasabi

Posted November 25, 2006 - 12:18 AM

Excellent!!! so does your Australian dirt bike mag show weights for the 06 450 blue and 450 red?
Im assuming that you ride a wr450? what year?

Oops, I ment DirtAction mag (issue 91 - dec '06), not ADB.....

Anyway No, sorry. Weights were in a review on the KTM 250EXC-F.....

Funny enough mag has '07 WR reviews. All good! They say WR250F is great, but the change from last model isn't as drastic as the WR450F.

I got '05 wr450f & wr250f in my garage.

Do you want a scan? I could PM you the reviews of the bikes if you like.....
I am nice enough to do that for you! :worthy:

• daveybobcat

Posted November 25, 2006 - 11:10 AM

are you kidding, I would love to see those reviews!!!
thanks man!
ok, sounds like from what Im hearing from everyone, 07 wr250 isnt going to give me all that much of an advantage over 06. Good to know!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.