WR450F vs. YZ450F suspension (an all around) comparison

20 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted November 24, 2006 - 10:06 AM

I bought a 2004 WR450F and have loved the bike so far. I recently moved to Mexico and have a supercross track 2 blocks from my house so I´ve started jumping. As I started to go bigger I noticed that I´m bottoming out my suspension pretty easy especially if I misjudge a double. I know that the WR is not designed for jumping and that the suspension is more for sucking up the off road bumps at speed then taking a huge hit on a motocross track. My question is how exactly does the front and rear suspension differ on a WR from a YZ? What I´m trying to figure out is if I should spend the money for a full revalve with stiffer springs on my WR or if I just chose the wrong bike.

I weigh 185 and will ride trails more than track which is why I got the WR but I can´t go to the track anymore until I do something about my suspension as it feels like I damaged it and seems way softer then before I started jumping. I know I probably can´t have the best of both worlds with one bike but are the suspensions similar enough that I can find a happy compromise where my WR will perform adequate on the big jumps on a track and still handle well on the trail.

If not, I´d like to know why and what are the pros and cons of the YZF over the WR.

Thanks!

• red7

Posted November 24, 2006 - 10:07 AM

Also, if anyone knows of a good suspension shop in AZ that would be great. If not, I could make a trip over to LA as I´m always visiting friends over there.

• aussiefletch

Posted November 25, 2006 - 03:22 AM

I would reckon the wr suspesion is stiffer than the yz, as the yz is a full on mx bike(therefore bigger jumps n more absorbsion needed) but the wr is enduro/tracks. Have you altered the comp/rebound/preload?

let us know if you find a solution.

• JRAMBO

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:17 AM

I think its WR is softer than the YZ just get it set for your riding it will be fine.Sounds like you need stiffer springs and maybe a revalve I just resprung mine and it was fine.I hit big jumps but not supercross size.

• drewpeacock

Posted November 25, 2006 - 03:03 PM

From my experience with the 04 I had to get stiffer springs on both ends and valved like a yz for me to be happy. I hated to spend the money but was very happy once it was done.

• red7

Posted November 25, 2006 - 06:12 PM

That´s strange, I would figure the mx suspension would be much stiffer so as not to bottom out. When I go to the yamaha site and look at the specs for the new YZF and WRFs both the engine and suspensions seem to be nearly identical but of course they don´t give much detail. That´s why I started this thread hoping that someone will be able to go into more detail about the design and what goes on inside of each suspension when hitting a big jump.

• twenty34

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:08 PM

the new WR/YZ's are essentially the same except for heavier springs on the YZ. As for older models, not sure.

I had a WR (06) and the YZ's suspension is light years better, but that could be because of the stiffer springs. As for jumping on a WR, now you know why I sold it. It was a tank to get around the track, not to mention the added 30 lbs and high placement of the battery just to make the center of gravity worse.

Get my drift?...I'd seriously suggest getting away from the WR and consider a YZ. It's just so much easier and you'll be smiling ear to ear. I know I am...

Hoep this helps.

• red7

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:54 AM

Hey Rick, do you do much trail riding as well? I no doubt would prefer the yz on the track but I wonder if I´d also prefer it on the trails. I do ride on the streets a lot to get from a to b so the lights are a plus but I guess I could live without them if the yz would be that much better.

Anyone know how the 2004 YZ and WR suspensions compare?

• StreetbikePimp

Posted November 30, 2006 - 10:13 AM

From the factory, your WR450 suspension is set-up for a 160 lb rider. (it says so in the manual) That means that at 185 lbs plus gear, you are already too heavy for your bikes suspension even for riding only trails.

Having your suspension done by an expert is well worth the money. Just make sure you talk to them and tell them how you want it set. 20% mx/ 80% trail. They have progressive springs now a days that are soft in the first part of the stroke, and then get harder as they compress. The valveing can be set up that way as well. Plush for the first hit, and stiffer at the end of the stroke.

• Seabass

Posted November 30, 2006 - 08:27 PM

the new WR/YZ's are essentially the same except for heavier springs on the YZ. As for older models, not sure.

I had a WR (06) and the YZ's suspension is light years better, but that could be because of the stiffer springs. As for jumping on a WR, now you know why I sold it. It was a tank to get around the track, not to mention the added 30 lbs and high placement of the battery just to make the center of gravity worse.

Get my drift?...I'd seriously suggest getting away from the WR and consider a YZ. It's just so much easier and you'll be smiling ear to ear. I know I am...

Hoep this helps.

The WR's suspension seems to always be one or two years behind the YZ's. I've heard the '07 YZ suspension may be the best stock suspension, and this from a guy who sets up suspensions for some of the best off road racers in the world. He was really impressed with them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:04 PM

Hey Rick, do you do much trail riding as well? I no doubt would prefer the yz on the track but I wonder if I´d also prefer it on the trails. I do ride on the streets a lot to get from a to b so the lights are a plus but I guess I could live without them if the yz would be that much better.

Anyone know how the 2004 YZ and WR suspensions compare?

o4 wr=46mm cartridge , o4 yz 48mm cartridge that had some sort of attempt at hyd bottomouts. the 48's of that year were a little better but you'd have to change clamps. davej is doing some amazing things with the older cartride style forks(46 and 48's). see his post under "phase 4 kyb's" (or something close to that) in the suspension forum. i had phase 3 and was impressed enough to send out for phase 4;can't wait:thumbsup: one thing i can tell you is that your current forks definately have issues in stock form,even when resprung and valved "correctly"

• RobRantzow

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:15 PM

I had a 2002 WR 426 I just sold. It had stock suspension and I stripped it down and started racing it on motocross tracks as I live about 7 minutes from comp. edge. I turned up compression on the forks and set sag accordingly however I only am 160lbs. It was competitive however I just bought a 2006 YZ450F and it is way better on the track. So it depends on what you want to do. But 185 is pushing the stock setup.

• bullybull9

Posted December 02, 2006 - 03:56 PM

Well how much will the suspension work cost ,, round about? and would it be easyer just to get yz forks and mount them on the wr.
I don't notice the weight and I'm working on the mods,, but the suspension needs help,, I would rather have mx style suspension ,, so when you get the work done ,, do they do front and rear?.

• jeffm

Posted December 02, 2006 - 04:03 PM

Also, if anyone knows of a good suspension shop in AZ that would be great. If not, I could make a trip over to LA as I´m always visiting friends over there.

Hey Red7 I got my WR suspension at this place http://www.paloverdemx.com/ there in Glendale AZ Can't wait to get it back next week

• bullybull9

Posted December 02, 2006 - 05:51 PM

ok ,, so where is the rebound & compresion on the bike ( 06 450 ) any sugestions how I could start to see if it will help at all,, not doing any jumps bigger than 3 feet ,, but just turning ,, it needs to be stiffend up ,, I mean I can try before taking it apart and sending it out.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 03, 2006 - 11:42 AM

ok ,, so where is the rebound & compresion on the bike ( 06 450 ) any sugestions how I could start to see if it will help at all,, not doing any jumps bigger than 3 feet ,, but just turning ,, it needs to be stiffend up ,, I mean I can try before taking it apart and sending it out.

correct me if i'm wrong,but i believe the 06 wr's didn't get the TC's so compression would be on bottom and rebound on top,less clicks out on comp=stiffer, so go all the way in and then go out to 10 if thats to stiff try 12 etc.... rebound has always worked best for me around 10-12 out no matter what else i do:thumbsup: you could also raise the oil height some.

• red7

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:29 PM

I´m trying to figure out how the gearing differs on the YZF 450 and Wide Ratio 450. How would a drag race go down off the line, up to 30, 50, etc? If I knew a YZ would perform as well on most trails (other then wide open obviously) I may have to seriously think about switching over. Man, I wish I could test ride on.

Also, how much better are the 05 or 06 suspensions on the YZs? If I do get rid of the WR I probably go with a newer or brand new 06 bike. What to do, what to do?:worthy:

• bullybull9

Posted December 07, 2006 - 04:24 AM

RED 7 ,, before I bought my rmz I was looking around for a bike and my local dealer had a 05 rmz for $4000 and a drz for $2800 both were in great shape ,, after trading my rmz in and buying the wr ,, I would have saved $500 if I bought the 2 suzukis ,, my point is ,,, look around and you can buy both the yz and the wr for about the same as a new one.

• Punisher660

Posted December 07, 2006 - 01:36 PM

RED 7 ,, before I bought my rmz I was looking around for a bike and my local dealer had a 05 rmz for $4000 and a drz for $2800 both were in great shape ,, after trading my rmz in and buying the wr ,, I would have saved $500 if I bought the 2 suzukis ,, my point is ,,, look around and you can buy both the yz and the wr for about the same as a new one.

He's right on with this one.

I really have tried to make mine a great all around bike, but it will always falter somewhere. It is a fun play bike on the track, but a racebike it is not. It kicks some serious butt on the trails and is a great desert bike. Its downside is the weight....its not horrible, but I notice it when I have to pick it up :worthy: I have thought about getting the new 07, but I have put too much time and money into my 04, and it is still a great bike. I figured I am cheaper to buy a used 06 YZ and keep the 04 WR - you get the best of both worlds this way and always have a spare for a buddy to ride or even as a backup to a mechanical problem.

The 08 will be the best WR ever, then the 09 will be, but no matter what you do, it will never be the best bike for every condition. Get a YZ and a WR and you will always have a great bike no matter whwere you ride.

• red7

Posted December 10, 2006 - 09:44 PM

ncmountainman, I tried to PM you but your box was full. I'll post what I tried sending you here and you can email me at danehauser1@yahoo.com or respond here.

Thanks,

You seem to be the expert when it comes to bridging the gap between WRs and YZs. I currently have an 04 WR450 and have loved it as a first bike. I recenly moved a block away from a supercross track and am riding tracks for the first time. It took no time to start bottoming out on jumps and realize that the the WR is not designed for track especially since I'm a little heavier then the stock setup at 185 lbs. I ride 2/3 trails from tight to open baja style and 1/3 track although it could evolve to 50/50 if I had a bike with a dialed in suspension. I don't ride at night so the light isn't needed and my battery has been dead for the past month so I haven't missed the easy button that much.

However, I do love the WR gearing on trails although I've never ridden any other dirt bike so I don't know how I'd like the gearing of a YZ or how much I'd appreciate the lighter weight. I think I'd prefer a YZ but my concerns are the gearing on open roads (I did ride them that much but it sure is fun to fly) and the smaller gas tank. Other then that, I'd probably lover everything else about the YZ. What is your take on my situation and what can I do to bridge the gap in gearing and gas tank so that I could still have fun on the track but get better gearing on the trail. The WR is too wide for the track. Could I just put a different front or rear sprocket on a YZ and see an improvement? I thought of carrying MSR fuel bottles just on the longer rides.

Or should I just keep my WR and get the suspension revalved.

Thanks so much,
Dane

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.