MODS on the air box??????

7 replies to this topic
  • motivater

Posted November 24, 2006 - 05:28 AM

The Xr650L I have has been rejetted and fitted with a white brothers E2 pipe.
This is my question: If I romoved the snorkel from the air box, would it need to be rejetted again?...........also..........what is involved in the removal? Does it require special tools or is it easy to mess up? I am not mecanicaly inclined!!

• motivater

Posted November 24, 2006 - 08:27 AM

..another thing..nothing else has been done as fas as modifications go....

• xrwiki

Posted November 24, 2006 - 09:27 AM

This will depend on what jet size you are using now and your elevation. I would guess that yes, if all other factors are the same you would want to be running a bit richer without the snorkel than with it installed. Are you running the stock filter? If so, I would think that upgrading this will probably have a greater impact than removing the snorkel alone.

Carl.

• cleonard

Posted November 24, 2006 - 12:39 PM

If it was jetted richer for the pipe, you should be ok with pulling the snorkel. Removing the snorkel does make it slightly leaner, but the effect is small.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motopsycho650

Posted November 24, 2006 - 07:07 PM

I everything on the bike is still stock, I don't believe you'll need to re-jet from just removing the snorkel. If anything, locate the air/fuel mixture screw on the carb. This should be covered in the owners manual. You'll want to turn this screw to make it richer. I'm not sure if that's clockwise or counter clockwise on an 650L. I will probably require 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn. A short flat-head screwdriver is all that's needed for the carb adjustment.

To remove the snorkel, you can probably get to it by just removing the seat. It should be a rubber snorkel that can just be pulled out of the air box. You'll probably need 10mm, & 12mm sockets, and some pliers.

• goblin127

Posted November 24, 2006 - 08:58 PM

The top of the snorkel is riveted on,so just use some method of grindig them off. Dremmel tool,its very simple.

• chpxr

Posted November 24, 2006 - 09:32 PM

use a large drill bit and drill the rivits head off thought that might be a easyier way then grinding

• goblin127

Posted November 25, 2006 - 06:03 AM

use a large drill bit and drill the rivits head off thought that might be a easyier way then grinding

Now that I think of it thats what I did .

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.