will YZF side covers fit a WR

14 replies to this topic
  • AUS_WR450

Posted November 24, 2006 - 05:08 AM

I have found a very cheap local supplier for Racetech plastics, but he only does YZF not WR plastics.

Do the YZF side covers fit the WR?

• BlueBlood Rider

Posted November 24, 2006 - 11:42 AM

I have found a very cheap local supplier for Racetech plastics, but he only does YZF not WR plastics.

Nope. The WR has a quick access air box so the left side cover is completely different.

• eissinger4

Posted November 26, 2006 - 05:46 AM

Actually, I have an 06 WR450, and I just replaced my plastic with 05 YZF plastic. The left side doesn't have a grab handle hole, but other than that, everything fits perfectly, even the shrouds. My 2c:thumbsup:

• Wasabi

Posted November 26, 2006 - 05:59 AM

any links or numbers?

• BlueBlood Rider

Posted November 26, 2006 - 11:46 AM

Actually, I have an 06 WR450, and I just replaced my plastic with 05 YZF plastic. The left side doesn't have a grab handle hole, but other than that, everything fits perfectly, even the shrouds. My 2c:thumbsup:

I'm calling BS on this one as it relates to the side covers. According to Yamaha:
'05 YZ side cover, left - 5TA-21711-00-00
'05 YZ side cover, right - 5TA-21721-00-00
'06 WR side cover, left - 5TJ-21711-80-00
'06 WR side cover, right - 5TJ-21721-00-00

While the numbers are similar, the bikes are not. The WR left side cover is a two piece unit because of the easy access airbox which the YZ does not have. And the 2005 WR left side cover does indeed have the handhold opening because I have one on my '04 that I purposely replaced with it so I could get that opening. The right side cover from the YZ might work on the WR, but the left side will definitely not work with the stock WR airbox.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 26, 2006 - 02:23 PM

It takes a little trimming on the air box side, but it is easy. I have done two full sets(front plate, both fenders, side panels and shrouds) of YZ plastic on WR's, 2004 models. I had a Clarke tank that required YZ shrouds though. The 06 YZ plastic wont work of course, but other than that you should be good to go.

• AUS_WR450

Posted November 26, 2006 - 05:19 PM

any links or numbers?

The name of the company is Metropolitan Motorcycles Spares at Silverwater in NSW. They also have an ebay store.

http://www.motorcyclewreckers.com/

http://stores.ebay.c...One-Stop-Spares

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AUS_WR450

Posted November 26, 2006 - 05:22 PM

It takes a little trimming on the air box side, but it is easy. I have done two full sets(front plate, both fenders, side panels and shrouds) of YZ plastic on WR's, 2004 models. I had a Clarke tank that required YZ shrouds though. The 06 YZ plastic wont work of course, but other than that you should be good to go.

If possible, please can you email/post a coupla pics of the LHS cover, both on and off the bike, to give me an idea of what is involved:worthy:

wr450fs@optusnet.com.au

• BlueBlood Rider

Posted November 26, 2006 - 07:47 PM

I was responding to the fact that he said "everything fits perfectly" and made no mention of any trimming. Also, prior to 2006, the WR and YZ tank shrouds were not interchangeable.

• Wasabi

Posted November 27, 2006 - 01:50 AM

Also, prior to 2006, the WR and YZ tank shrouds were not interchangeable.

Hahaha, '05 YZ and '05 WR tank shrouds ARE the same......

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 27, 2006 - 10:23 PM

If possible, please can you email/post a coupla pics of the LHS cover, both on and off the bike, to give me an idea of what is involved:worthy:

wr450fs@optusnet.com.au

Email sent. I thought I had them on here somewhere but couldnt find em. :worthy:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 27, 2006 - 10:28 PM

Nope. The WR has a quick access air box so the left side cover is completely different.

I was referring to this. Its all good.

the WR and YZ tank shrouds were not interchangeable.

I noted that I had a tank that required YZ shrouds.

The question was will YZ plastics fit on a WR. The answer is yes, with some trimming/customizing. :worthy:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 27, 2006 - 10:55 PM

http://www.thumperta...ght=yz plastics

Check page 3

• Aus_WR450FS

Posted November 28, 2006 - 12:34 AM

Thankyou BnB for the email. I should have mentioned this earlier, but I am talking about the 04 model wr450. I don't want you guys fighting amongst yourself

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 28, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Thankyou BnB for the email. I should have mentioned this earlier, but I am talking about the 04 model wr450. I don't want you guys fighting amongst yourself

No fighting here. Just explaining. My WR was an 04 as well. Boy do I wish I could have kept her. :worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.