oil filters

17 replies to this topic
  • aussiefletch

Posted November 24, 2006 - 03:38 AM

I was thinking of investing in a stainless steel washable oil filter. Any thoughts & suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers from down under.

on on

• TIM696

Posted November 24, 2006 - 05:43 AM

I used one for two years in my YZ450F and never had a problem, but I do change my oil a lot

• aussiefletch

Posted November 24, 2006 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, I change the oil a lot also and wouldn't mind cleaning the filter at the same time but that could get expensive if using paper filters.

• waynus

Posted November 24, 2006 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, I change the oil a lot also and wouldn't mind cleaning the filter at the same time but that could get expensive if using paper filters.

I wouldn't trust the stainless ones. Why not buy the paper ones in bulk and change every say 3rd oil change. Try Ballards for a price.

The other thing to look at would be a magnetic sump drain plug. I couldn't find one in Oz so I made one. You can buy them from the TT store though. It stops the crud being pumped back into the frame and then going thru the pump again before stopping at the filter. I also attach a heavy duty magnet to the frame oil drain bolt to magnetize it (cos I haven't seen one for sale) just to be sure.:worthy:

• aussiefletch

Posted November 25, 2006 - 02:32 AM

i have got stuff from ballards previously n always got good prices, $75 aus for 10 filters which was good as i was paying $21 for a yamaha filter at causeway yam in w.a.I avoid the place since new management, they are only in it for the money n have let me down consistently. Anyway, got a washable ss oil filter today from dirt dungeon for $100 and got a bling bling anodised black engine cover to replace the stocker included. How happy am I????

now I can have a new oil filter every week.:worthy: :D :prof: :bonk: :cry: :ride:

• aussiefletch

Posted November 25, 2006 - 02:39 AM

mag drainplug would be fantastic as well, been lookin for one but no luck, how do you fit magnet onto bike?jubilee clip possibly

• waynus

Posted November 25, 2006 - 03:23 AM

mag drainplug would be fantastic as well, been lookin for one but no luck, how do you fit magnet onto bike?jubilee clip possibly

The drain plug on the frame is steel and I just stick a strong magnet onto it and it doesn't move. The magnet is out of a swimming pool gate lock.

As for the engine drain plug, I managed to get the small magnet out of a hex drive(the one that goes in a battery drill), driled a hole in a bolt with the correct thread and gently pressed it in. I didn't have a credit card at the time and it would have been easier to order it thru the TT store, but I enjoy mucking around.:worthy:

• farkawi

Posted November 25, 2006 - 05:57 PM

I work in a bike shop and can get stuff pretty cheap. I still went with the stainless filter for the WR. I'd buy one for my street bike too if they weren't so expen$ive.

• Derwud

Posted November 25, 2006 - 08:57 PM

I've run on in my 99 YZ400 from the second oil change and it has more than paid for it's self. Not only from not having to buy filters, but in better filtering.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SID013

Posted November 26, 2006 - 04:41 PM

I was thinking of investing in a stainless steel washable oil filter. Any thoughts & suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers from down under.

on on

I've run one on my '06 WR450 for 8 months now & no problems. The spec's on these things is that the filtration is far better than paper & they use the mesh for screening blood so can't be too bad. I change my oil every 300km's anyway & a tip I've heard & use is to use electrical contact cleaner spray to clean the filter. It air dries & leaves no residue.

Cheers

Pete

• SteveWR450F

Posted November 26, 2006 - 05:31 PM

I have a 04 WR 450. Engine has been great and I change the oil either every other or every three rides. Mainly use Shell Rotella cheap oil that seems to work good with my rekluse clutch.

I have a ZipTy magnetic drain bolt - highly recommend getting one. Scotts stainless oil filter - they are the best and most copied reuseable filter.

• RC81

Posted November 26, 2006 - 11:13 PM

I also have a Scotts and am happy with it.

• waynus

Posted November 26, 2006 - 11:48 PM

I have seen no tests on these washable filters so I remain unconvinced and wouldn't buy one until I see laboratory proof. :worthy:

Can anyone point me to a test?

• RC81

Posted November 29, 2006 - 11:49 PM

Never seen a test on the different brands of paper filters either.

• waynus

Posted November 30, 2006 - 12:39 AM

Never seen a test on the different brands of paper filters either.

Google BITOG. There are some really intersting things re filters and oil for your bike there.:worthy:

• aussiefletch

Posted December 01, 2006 - 03:58 AM

I've run one on my '06 WR450 for 8 months now & no problems. The spec's on these things is that the filtration is far better than paper & they use the mesh for screening blood so can't be too bad. I change my oil every 300km's anyway & a tip I've heard & use is to use electrical contact cleaner spray to clean the filter. It air dries & leaves no residue.

That's interesting, I was thinking just dunk it in kerosene:eek:

• Brian Williams

Posted December 01, 2006 - 04:59 AM

Thinking of SS filter what does everyone use to clean them??

• Derwud

Posted December 01, 2006 - 05:17 AM

Thinking of SS filter what does everyone use to clean them??

I use brake cleaner.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.