Dual carbs

7 replies to this topic
  • XRsteve

Posted November 23, 2006 - 12:24 PM

I have a friend that has a 86 XR600 with the dual carb setup. The bike feels more powerful than a 1993 XR600 that I rode recently. Does the old design make more power or was something wrong with the newer bike? I'm hoping to hear from somebody that has owned or ridden both designs.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 23, 2006 - 08:48 PM

I have a friend that has a 86 XR600 with the dual carb setup. The bike feels more powerful than a 1993 XR600 that I rode recently. Does the old design make more power or was something wrong with the newer bike? I'm hoping to hear from somebody that has owned or ridden both designs.

Yes, the early dual carb versions are faster because they have about 5~8 more horsepower. Not only did they have dual carbs, and dual ports on both the intake and exhaust, but bigger intake and exhaust ports, and better flow thru the head. The dual carbs are also 28mm each, thats 56mm of hole to let intake in as opposed to about 40mm on the single carb models. In fact the early heads flowed so well allot of the early desert racer guys who bought the single carb models changed to the dual carb head off an earlier model. I own an early desert bike built by a former racer and his tech who did that very thing. Mine is a 1992 but has the early head, intake, and bigfin treatment on it.It is also got an HRC 630cc kit in it so it flies.

• AlbinoPig

Posted November 24, 2006 - 06:11 AM

You need to calculate the flow areas of the individual carbs and add them together. Actually, the dual 28mm carbs would flow slightly less than a 40mm but, I suspect much more effeciently, over a much wider operating range, thus the better power output.

• timothypg

Posted November 24, 2006 - 07:14 PM

I have an 86.carbs are awesome. have a 628 kit, cam. 140 mains and 42 pilot, (if i remember right). also the secondary carb is set to open with no stagger, it hits quicker that way, i was happy with that little tweakage of the link.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • platterdr

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:04 AM

i had an 86 xr600 and it was faster than single carb 600's, At that time there were 4 of us riding xr 600's and on fire roads i could leave them( which was good because all these guys were faster than me in the woods) LOL

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:38 AM

If you go to Honda Americas website you can read alittle history of the XR600R as it is one of the few bikes Honda considers a milestion bike. It says the early ones had more horsepower because of the dual carb and flow charachteristics. As I said before many racers back when the XR600R was king of the Baja, desert, and was doing well even in the Dakar used the dual carb head and carbs on their later race bikes. My desertsled has the earlier head because of this. You can check it out at my website desertsled.com
Beware though, the sled is in the process of being restored, and the website is in it's infancy....being updated periodically....

• XR6's_rule

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:27 PM

I have owned/ridden both of the above. My opinion is this- Both bikes are very close in peak horsepower, but the twin carb models are definitely stronger in the lower-end of the rev range and have slightly better throttle response. This however doesn't make the '85-'87 models the pick of the bunch. The later '91-on versions have much better handling/suspension/brakes, which more than make up for the small power disadvantage.

• timothypg

Posted November 26, 2006 - 05:54 AM

I agree with you xr6. the brakes definately need to be upgraded, stopping quickley when it counts most (traffic) can be a little scary:eek:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.