Rekluse on a YZ426

27 replies to this topic
  • torqueme

Posted November 23, 2006 - 01:44 AM

Aloha all-new toTT.Anyone have experience with the rekluse on the '02 426? Any tips for set-up and using the perch adjuster with it.I ride a lot of tight trails and am looking to make this beast more trail friendly.

• byggd

Posted November 23, 2006 - 05:13 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=437508

• 642MX

Posted November 23, 2006 - 07:54 AM

I set my installed gap at .030. I use the soft spring in the adjuster. Adjust the lever so that it hits the hard spot about 1/2 an inch from the grip (without the motor running). Once you read the installation instructions this will all make sense. Oh, and don't forget to use Rotella 15W40 for best results.

• torqueme

Posted November 24, 2006 - 10:58 PM

Thanks 642MX & byggd for the info & the addtional threads.if i can't get this setup with all the help available here at TT, i should not be riding this without adult supervision...

• OldenPhatt

Posted November 25, 2006 - 07:23 AM

Also, be sure you ride it for at least a half hour or so to break it in and then re-set the gap. For riding on tight trails you are not going to believe how much better it is. Prior to installing the Rekluse on my 02 426 I had lowered my gearing and added a 12oz flywheel weight. If I had done the Rekluse first, I don't think I would have bothered with either of the other mods. Climbing knarly hills with a Rekluse is like cheating.

• FOX426

Posted November 25, 2006 - 07:42 PM

Ditto that exacatly.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 26, 2006 - 03:24 PM

I wouldnt spend the money on the perch adjuster. It doesnt work all that great and requires constant adjustment, at least the two I had did.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted November 26, 2006 - 04:47 PM

I wouldnt spend the money on the perch adjuster. It doesnt work all that great and requires constant adjustment, at least the two I had did.

I agree... I just use the motor mounted spring adjuster and it works great. :worthy:

• torqueme

Posted November 26, 2006 - 09:05 PM

I appreciate all the input. to YZ426F Rider, what are you refering to as the "motor mounted spring adjuster." the instructions tell me to remove the clutch cable entirely if not using the perch adjuster. what other adjustment do i have without removing the clutch cover and adding/removing plates?? i'm not getting it...

• Novi2kRT

Posted November 26, 2006 - 11:03 PM

Hi Torqueme.. off topic a bit, I just wanted to say hi as a fellow 426 rider in Hawaii.

Are you on Oahu or elsewhere? I have been debating a Rekluse on mine for awhile.

Mine is a 00, I will probably end up tearing it down a bit soon for a top end freshen up though. Figure it's cheaper to keep it running strong, then buy a new bike. LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • torqueme

Posted November 26, 2006 - 11:18 PM

Hi Novi2kR, yes i'm n oahu. do most my riding up at kahuku & halemanu.starting to get itchy,started tearing this down 2 weeks ago & just haven't had time between obligations to get it back together & ride.can't wait to try the rekluse on some of our gulches.where are u??

• YZ426F Rider

Posted November 27, 2006 - 11:02 AM

I appreciate all the input. to YZ426F Rider, what are you refering to as the "motor mounted spring adjuster." the instructions tell me to remove the clutch cable entirely if not using the perch adjuster. what other adjustment do i have without removing the clutch cover and adding/removing plates?? i'm not getting it...

Once you remove the clutch cable you can then install the supplied spring from the clutch actuator arm to the clutch cable mount located near the base of the cylinder. The spring attaches to a threaded rod that goes through the cable mount. You can then adjust the stall speed by adjusting the threaded rod thereby increasing/decreasing the spring tension on the clutch actuator arm...it is a very simple and clean setup. When I get home I will post a photo...it will be simple to see how it works from the photo.

The perch adjuster basically does the same thing but up at your perch via the clutch cable. The perch adjuster allows you to adjust the stall speed easily, but it also very simple to do it with the motor mounted adjuster...you just need to have a 10 mm wrench. That being said, I have not had to adjust mine once I initially set it up and I have not found a need to have manual override that the perch adjuster gives you....so for me I am happy to not spend the extra $$ for the perch adjuster setup.

• torqueme

Posted November 27, 2006 - 11:36 PM

hi YZ426F Rider & everyone else.thanks again for the input. i downloaded the installation instruction sheet from the rekluse website. they have a photo of the manual adjuster you described. i unfortunately do not have that part, picked this up on ebay & it came only with the perch adjuster. i worked on it tonight & think i've got the install done. i don't like all this crap hanging off the clutch lever. i use bark busters & it's just too cluttered. i hope to get the rest of the work i'm doing done this week, so when i get it running we'll see if it works. looks to me like i could make one of the standard adjusters if i knew what spring strength to use?? thanks again all...

• TD-3

Posted November 28, 2006 - 03:51 AM

looks to me like i could make one of the standard adjusters if i knew what spring strength to use??

You can get the motor mount spring setup right from Rekluse. They don't list the part, so you have to call them.

• Fastest1

Posted November 28, 2006 - 06:06 AM

Might as well order the left hand rear brake while you are getting the right springs and motor mount adjuster. There is no need for a clutch lever as you will soon find out.

• torqueme

Posted November 28, 2006 - 09:49 AM

alright guys, you've convinced me. i guess i'll break down & call rekluse,so i don't have to worry about a break down on the trail. i am going to continue putting this back together with the perch adjuster installed, but i have a feeling it may be listed in the classified ads soon...i love this website!! will keep you posted with progress.

• torqueme

Posted November 28, 2006 - 11:07 PM

Just an update-called Mike @ rekluse today. he's sending out the parts this week, he couldn't understand why i didn't like the perch adjuster set-up but was really helpful nonetheless. great customer service, wish all companies conducted business like these guys.

• YZRob

Posted November 29, 2006 - 06:34 AM

I have a 2000 YZ426 that I race Hare scrambles with. I use the rekluse with the perch adjuster.I sometimes have a problem with flame out so I use the clutch lever in the low rpm's. Also helps reduce engine braking when you don't want it.

• torqueme

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:31 AM

Just an update-the guys at rekluse customer service are awsome!! got the standard adjuster parts with both springs (+ a gazillion stickers) via fedex in just 2 days. that is record shipping service for me in HI. thanks TD-3 & everyone for the input / info. keep you posted...

• TD-3

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:42 AM

Just an update-the guys at rekluse customer service are awsome!!

They are very easy to deal with.

Good luck with the Rekluse, hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I do. :worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.