Fuel Mixture Screw

17 replies to this topic
  • maracas

Posted November 22, 2006 - 04:07 PM

Quick question to the experts

im buying a Fuel Mixture Screw for my WR450 06
everybody here mention the Zipty, but i have more access to buy a SCOTTS one down here in Mexico, is there some perform diference between them or are the same?

thanks!!

• trailordune

Posted November 22, 2006 - 05:32 PM

Just as good!

• MountainMax

Posted November 22, 2006 - 05:52 PM

they all do the same thing, they let you adjust the mixture screw externally, nice for tuning..........

• 642MX

Posted November 22, 2006 - 05:54 PM

There is no performance gain from the extended fuel screws. They only allow you to fine tune the pilot circuit of the carb. With that said, any brand will work, just as long as you can easily turn the knob.

• mtrablue

Posted November 22, 2006 - 06:16 PM

go with the scotts. the scotts is made from brass so it will not get a groove on the tip as easy as the aluminum zipty.

• Wasabi

Posted November 22, 2006 - 06:47 PM

go with the scotts. the scotts is made from brass so it will not get a groove on the tip as easy as the aluminum zipty.

Never had that problem?

• Fullbore4

Posted November 22, 2006 - 08:41 PM

I am wondering if vibrations would cause a heavier (brass) screw to wobble loose before the zip-ty (aluminum) one.

How many have lost (or had it back out) their zip-ty one because thats what I have had for a short while.

• 642MX

Posted November 22, 2006 - 08:49 PM

I am wondering if vibrations would cause a heavier (brass) screw to wobble loose before the zip-ty (aluminum) one.

How many have lost (or had it back out) their zip-ty one because thats what I have had for a short while.

People loose the screws because of 2 reasons. (1).The spring is wore out from repeatedly being crushed while setting the screw and the lack of spring tension on the screw causes it to loosen and fall out. (2). People turn the fuel screw out beyond 3 turns in order to get the best throttle response and the screw falls out because the spring isn't long enough to hold pressure against the screw.

• Wasabi

Posted November 22, 2006 - 10:54 PM

The scotts one is the T handle one right?
I got a zipty one and a T handle one on the 250F, the round headed one is definately easier to adjust. I can adjust it while rolling along on the fly when tuning. I can't with the T handle one one. But you rarely have to set it though. Something to think about.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thermos O flask

Posted November 22, 2006 - 10:57 PM

YEA,Make sure that you stretch out the spring a bit,my mates one just fell out to day and we only fitted it last night!:cheers:

• MountainMax

Posted November 23, 2006 - 02:29 PM

Oh yeah, some now sell the screws with a stiffer spring to help prevent them from falling out ( I lost one ). I now have a new one, and a spare, with spare spring and related parts, just in case.......

• thumbthrottler

Posted November 25, 2006 - 08:23 AM

All,
my manual for an '05 WR450 does not show a fuel mix screw; and the pilot air jet does not appear to have the springs you refer to. What screw is actually being replaced?

• 642MX

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:07 AM

All,
my manual for an '05 WR450 does not show a fuel mix screw; and the pilot air jet does not appear to have the springs you refer to. What screw is actually being replaced?

The screw is located under the carb and infront of the float bowl. If you loosen your carb and tilt it sideways you can see it.

• 05WR450F

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:08 AM

Just a question...Sorry, im not trying to jack your thread. When you have the fuel mixture screw in, and everyone is saying "2" turns out, or whatever you want it set at, do you screw it all the way in, and then "back it out" 2 turns?:worthy:

• MountainMax

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:22 AM

exactly right newbie, but don't force it tight, just barely tight, or you can do damage, I know my 06 had a plug in the float bowl covering my stock jet, had to pop it out to allow use ow the new adjustable screw.

• 642MX

Posted November 25, 2006 - 09:23 AM

Just a question...Sorry, im not trying to jack your thread. When you have the fuel mixture screw in, and everyone is saying "2" turns out, or whatever you want it set at, do you screw it all the way in, and then "back it out" 2 turns?:worthy:

Correct. Turn the screw in until it seats (be gentle) and then turn it out until you get a crisp throttle response.

• MountainMax

Posted November 25, 2006 - 11:54 AM

this will also help to eliminate any backfiring on decel, as you turn it out.

• thumbthrottler

Posted November 25, 2006 - 04:30 PM

thanks guys.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.