X-ring chain vs. O-ring chain...

18 replies to this topic
  • dirtrider007

Posted November 22, 2006 - 01:28 PM

whats the difference?? do the X-ring chains last longer? also i heard that the X-ring chains will take power away from the bike because they are heavier. is this true?

• weatherman64

Posted November 22, 2006 - 01:30 PM

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON :cheers: :p :bonk: :crazy: :worthy: :eek:

• YZF250Moto

Posted November 22, 2006 - 01:49 PM

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON :p :bonk: :crazy: :worthy: :eek: :p

If you know the answer to the question, why not just answer it???? Why does everyone feel it is so cool to scream "Use search" Sheesh, just answer the question and don't be so rude! :cheers:

• JeffKenevil

Posted November 22, 2006 - 02:58 PM

exactly, answer the queston.:cheers:

The main difference is that O-Ring chains self lubricate themselves. Only have to spray on some WD40 now and again, where a X ring you have to lubricate after every wash pretty much. Im pretty sure that the X ring is heavier and lasts less than an O ring. IMO, go with the O

• dbehr624

Posted November 22, 2006 - 03:14 PM

exactly, answer the queston.:cheers:

The main difference is that O-Ring chains self lubricate themselves. Only have to spray on some WD40 now and again, where a X ring you have to lubricate after every wash pretty much. Im pretty sure that the X ring is heavier and lasts less than an O ring. IMO, go with the O

Then why are X rings so much more expensive?

• JeffKenevil

Posted November 22, 2006 - 03:17 PM

Am I wrong? Or is b/c they are made of heavier materials?

• cleonard

Posted November 22, 2006 - 03:20 PM

The main difference is how they seal. The O-ring seals only at one point the side of the O. The X style seals at 2 points. Because of the two sealing points, the X style seals a little better than the O style. The X-ring is a little more expensive to make than an O-ring so a X-ring chain is more expensive.

Another benefit of the X style that I have heard, is less power robbing friction. I have no idea if this is true or not.

The best deal for a chain and sprockets that I know of is www.rockymountainmc.com

• grayracer513

Posted November 22, 2006 - 05:02 PM

whats the difference?? do the X-ring chains last longer? also i heard that the X-ring chains will take power away from the bike because they are heavier. is this true?

Then why are X rings so much more expensive?

X ring, Z-ring, etc., are more expensive because the seals cost more (they are sometimes custom made). They are supposed to be superior because they seal better and drag less. Both of these attributes are debatable. The X (or whatever) ring chains within a product line weigh the same as the same manufacturer's O-ring chains.

I use Regina ORN6 O-ring chains. The one on my '03 is over two years old and doesn't need to be replaced yet. I don't know if a Regina Z-ring will last longer than that, but I'm not going to spend the extra money to find out.

Read This

• crfxer

Posted November 22, 2006 - 05:32 PM

The stock x-ring chain on my 450X has 3000 miles on it and have had to adjust it only 3 times. I weigh 200 lbs and ride it hard, tight trails, deep sand, 80 mph washes. it blows me away how well it has held up

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Burnrider

Posted November 22, 2006 - 05:46 PM

When you buy a chain, you can check the tensile strength rating. Rocky Mountain posts it in their catalog. The x-ring is relatively high at 7,000 psi. Some chains go a little higher in their strength rating. If you get either an x or an o ring chain, keep a record of it's use. If you get 2500 trail miles or so many races out of the chain without excessive stretching, sideplay or sprocket pull, that is probably a great chain for your type of use on that bike.
I get great wear out of the x-ring for the use and maintenance I perform after a ride. It has very little stretch after it breaks in, no dry links causing kinks and no excessive sprocket wear. It generally uses sprockets on a two to one basis- 2 primary sprockets for each rear sprocket with a total trail use of 2500 to 3000 miles. For my use that's a good chain. I usually change out the masterlink at 1500 miles or so as well. There are probably several other chains that would serve my bike with the same kind of use and maintenance.

• 808hondacrguy

Posted November 22, 2006 - 10:45 PM

luv my x ring!! no stretching,only adjusted it once in over a year! good investment:applause:

• HawkGT

Posted November 23, 2006 - 11:17 AM

Just to reiterate some of what's already been said, the only difference between an O ring chain and an X ring chain is the shape of the sealing ring. O rings are just like any O ring you've ever seen--a cross sectional shape that is circular. An X ring has a cross section that looks like an X. The X provides two sealing surfaces instead of one.

X ring chains typically seal as good or better than O rings and create less friction as they articulate.

There are also T rings and Z rings.

• HawkGT

Posted November 23, 2006 - 11:21 AM

X-ring
Posted Image

• Spud786

Posted September 08, 2007 - 02:59 PM

As long as the chain itself is the same , I dont see a bit of longevity between an oring and an xring. Regina came out with zrings and I've not have good luck with them. Their oring chains on the other hand have been very good. The zrings are much more fragile type of ring than the oring or the xring types

• band1t

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:05 PM

Good info

• Chokey

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:14 PM

exactly, answer the queston. :)

Ummm...no An X-ring chain is just a fancier version of an o-ring chain, where the rubber seals have two sealing lips instead of one. The theory is that an x=ring chain has less parasitic drag than a standard o-ring chain, because the two smaller sealing edges have less surface area than the larger single selaing edge of the o--ring chain. But in reality your ass won't be able to tell any difference.

Those of you that believe o-ring chains don't require lubrication are very mis-informed. The o-rings only keep lube inside where the pins are, the rollers and sprockets still need lubrication.

I have a Regina o-ring chain on my bike that was installed along with the Ironman sprockets. I have replaced the front sprocket twice, but the chain and rear sprocket have well over two hundred hours of hard MX in abrasive Florida sand on them. The rear sprocket still looks new, and the chain only needed adjustment twice when it was still new, and hasn't needed an adjustment now in over 150 hours. I won't buy anything but o-ring chains and steel sprockets. They cost more, but they last so much longer than aluminum sprockets and standard chains that it's a complete no-brainer to me.

• hondacr250GUY

Posted September 30, 2012 - 11:46 PM

i dont use either, i just use normal chains in the dirt, on street or supermoto i could justify one, but the seals WILL weaken and fail, dirt can and will get behind those seals, the problem is it has a hard time getting back out destroying your chain. now that wasnt the OP question so ill stop there, the differance, is the seal style, notice how O rings are round, (not just circular) but round in shape? x rings are square in shape (yes still round) if that makes sense, so basicaly, it makes it harder for dirt to get in... thats how it was explained to me at least...

• scottp111

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:01 PM

Here is the difference between X-ring and O-ring. It is how seal is made. The X-ring is designed to have less drag. Not sure which makes a better long term seal. Both will last longer than a non-sealing chain.

Posted Image

• NEKOOHC

Posted October 03, 2012 - 04:06 AM

I find the DID 520 X ring to be a solid product

Related Content

Reviews

Cobra CX65 2015 by Chris.GVS

Cobra CX65 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Cobra CX50-JR 2014 by Chris.GVS

Cobra CX50-JR 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda CRF100F 2014 by Chris.GVS

Honda CRF100F 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Cobra CX65 2014 by Chris.GVS

Cobra CX65 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Beta 498 RR 2015 by Chris.GVS

Beta 498 RR 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.