i wanna get a 50 tooth sprocket wat should i get for the front?

5 replies to this topic
  • yz450frider15

Posted November 22, 2006 - 06:46 AM

i have a 14 tooth front on there and i want more low end for the track i do for my 450 and suggestions?:cheers:

• yami racer

Posted November 22, 2006 - 07:50 AM

Wow how much more low end do you need and how tight is this track? Its very easy to go up a tooth at a time in the back and see how it feels for you but personally I think the 14 in the front is already overkill. As you get more comfortable with the bike and start to get faster I thnk you may find that the stock 13/49 is perfect. Good luck.

• Wyatt

Posted November 22, 2006 - 08:16 AM

Put a 13 on the front for more low end. A tooth drop on the front is equal to adding nearly 3 on the rear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted November 22, 2006 - 09:26 AM

Wow how much more low end do you need and how tight is this track? Its very easy to go up a tooth at a time in the back and see how it feels for you but personally I think the 14 in the front is already overkill. As you get more comfortable with the bike and start to get faster I thnk you may find that the stock 13/49 is perfect. Good luck.

A 14t front sprocket gives higher (taller, faster, whatever you want to call it) gearing than a 13t. I don't know whiich model year we are talking about here but aren't all the YZ426/450's equipped with a 14t front sprocket from the factory?

• grayracer513

Posted November 22, 2006 - 09:41 AM

A 14t front sprocket gives higher (taller, faster, whatever you want to call it) gearing than a 13t. I don't know whiich model year we are talking about here but aren't all the YZ426/450's equipped with a 14t front sprocket from the factory?

The '06/7 came with a 13. Otherwise, you're right.

• Indiana

Posted November 22, 2006 - 02:09 PM

I dropped to a 13 tooth on the front on my 03 450 it was quite a difference and a lot cheaper considering I didn't have to do any resizing to the chain it was still within spec. Like Wyatt said one tooth in front is equal to more than that in the rear. I don't know what the exact ratios are but I suspect it is the same as three up in the rear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.