I need WR450 input, good and bad.

57 replies to this topic
  • bullybull9

Posted December 04, 2006 - 05:27 PM

Good points ,, I realy don't feel the weight differance, but in the same turns I was ridding the rmz on ,, the wr seams to stick better,, it maybe the weight holding it down ,, after doing just the to mods,,full throttle going down a hill it will lift the front tire ,, and in 4th it will pick it up on a straight,, put your ass over the rear fender,, 3rd or 4th and hit the whoops ( around 2' ones), the northeast doesn't realy embrase dirt bike so even though the stock exhust sucks ,, I like that it is quiet,, actualy I wanted to keep it on and eveyone is changing the air box,, but it keeps all the crap out , after just 3 hours on the bike ,, my opinon is have 2 bikes,, one mx and a enduro,, I know I will never race mx ,, and plan on doing the enduros,, but have to say there is nothing like playing on a mx bike.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted December 04, 2006 - 09:19 PM

Even though I knew about the throttle stop I asked the salesman why it seemed so short. He told me about all the things to wake it up; Remove the grey wire, replace throttle stop w/ the yz one, tkae off the air induction system (but told me it is only to save weight, not gain any power, the only thing it changed by removing it is that it would stop the popping on decel).

When I bought mine, 06, it was used, but only had 12 miles on it.

I got them down to $5025 and got the first break-in service for free. I haggeled them by saying since they could not offer any type of warrentee, they should throw in the first service, and they agreed to put in the yz throttle stop and dissconnect the grey wire in that first service. I think i got a rather decent deal on it, considering the fact that I bought it from the dealer.

• Crabtree426

Posted December 05, 2006 - 07:26 PM

I desirved that ,, but does the dealership let the consumers know before they buy the bike how it runs and what needs to be done to make it run great,,NO
THEY DON'T ,, so I have a right to bitch and so does everyone else,, I have done just 2 mods so far,, and the bike has trippiled in power from stock form, In stock form this bike can't live up to yamaha claims ,, so I feel thats false advertisement .

Bullybull makes a valid point. :worthy:

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted December 05, 2006 - 08:50 PM

Well I asked the dealer why the throttle was so short, and he told me about all the restrictions. I did not let him know that I knew when I asked him. I guess the dealership I went to knew what they were talking about.

However, Yamaha does not advertise the right performance. They could at least say that it is restricted from its potential, and either include a kit that lets you unleash the potential, or have them do it for you one your first break in service, (I conned them into doing it for me whwn I bring it in for the break in service).

• whoops dude

Posted December 06, 2006 - 09:24 AM

I desirved that ,, but does the dealership let the consumers know before they buy the bike how it runs and what needs to be done to make it run great,,NO
THEY DON'T ,, so I have a right to bitch and so does everyone else,, I have done just 2 mods so far,, and the bike has trippiled in power from stock form, In stock form this bike can't live up to yamaha claims ,, so I feel thats false advertisement .

I don't know what dealer you went to but the dealer I got my wr from told us about the stock form of the bike the free mods and everything.

• bullybull9

Posted December 06, 2006 - 04:33 PM

Hey , everything is cool now,, I actually want to keep the stock muffler, and leave the air box alone,, I'm going to jet it and see how it goes,,,, keeping it quiet ,, keeps the green police away , and the stock box keeps all the crap out.

• mtndirtrider

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:36 PM

Hi dude,I have read some of the replies ,all good to consider. Know this I bought my wr450 feb. of 2003 and havent freaked out and checked ser.#s but I have been blessed and have never had key way problems or starter problems ,, Definately richen up the jetting and you will like it . promise.

• Summit

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:28 AM

I don't know what dealer you went to but the dealer I got my wr from told us about the stock form of the bike the free mods and everything.

My dealer does all the free mods to all bikes before they sell them.....for free.

• red7

Posted December 07, 2006 - 10:21 PM

I understand that opinions and riding styles differ but I'm a little surprised about the guy who preferred the 250 over the 450 especially since he's about 30lbs heavier then me. I was questioning getting the 250 or 450 as this was my first bike and thankfully everyone including most 250 riders steered me to the wr450. I was concerned it would be too much bike for me but others reassured me that I would have out grown the 250 after a month. I've met a few people who got the 250 and when I mention that they said a month....I out grew mine in a week and needed more power so they sold it.

I'm not dogging anyone who prefers the 250 I just thought I'd share my experience. I really feel the added power far outways the few extra pounds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bullybull9

Posted January 03, 2007 - 05:39 PM

Well after more than a month of owning a 06 wr450 ,, this bike is making me a better rider, go with the 450 , if its to much power , take the stock throttle stop and cut it just a bit, then get used to the bike.

I'm not going crazy with mods right now , just the basic's ,,, all the power in the world doesn't make you a better rider,, but get better and then add the power ,, well you'll be faster.

I can't speek for everyones style of ridding but after owning a wr450 I could never go backwards , but if you can master this bike , I think you'll kick ass on any enduro.

• marty b

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:38 PM

i have an 06 did a lot of mods love it im off yz 250 i love the bottom end torque, im 6ft 3 220lbs i think it handels verry well my son is getting into a 250 so i can play with it on the track if i get the itch, but we have a lot of bush trails and hill climbing here i think the wr is the best for the buck

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted January 03, 2007 - 09:12 PM

I just did the throttle stop screw, ripped out the snorkel, disabled the AIS, removed the baffel, and did proper jetting and all I can say is that this bike is insane!!!! This is the first bike that I have been scared on because of power.

It runs perfect, strong, smooth, and the whole thing is just awesome.

As you can see, everyone who does the free mods says it can't be any better.

• red7

Posted January 03, 2007 - 11:53 PM

I actually just picked up a new YZ450F and will be selling my WR450 as soon as I get back to Mexico. The WR was a good first bike for me although the power never intimidated me like I thought it would. The YZ however is a different story as it an animal compared to my modded WR. In the end it wasn't the power but the suspension that made me switch over.

Not bashing the WR in any way but if you find you don't ride at night and don't need it plated seriously consider a YZ as it handles so much better and not to mention the power. I got my WR plated but never found myself wanting to ride on the street. Then it had it's light and I never wanted to ride at night. The battery has been dead on my WR for 3 months now but never bothered to replace it since it always started the first kick. No electric start, no need for a plated bike and no need for a light made me realize it was time to switch bikes.

• bullybull9

Posted January 04, 2007 - 04:50 PM

I have heard that if you change the exhuast cam ,, you will change the wr to a yz ,, but I will say they are to different bikes set up for too different reasons,, can't beleave I'm say that , because I hated the wr when I first bought it ,, I had a rmz 450 and I big difference in power. My advise is to have both ,, one day I will ,, as soon as I sell my chopper.

• red7

Posted January 08, 2007 - 09:11 AM

I have heard that if you change the exhuast cam ,, you will change the wr to a yz ,, but I will say they are to different bikes set up for too different reasons,, can't beleave I'm say that , because I hated the wr when I first bought it ,, I had a rmz 450 and I big difference in power. My advise is to have both ,, one day I will ,, as soon as I sell my chopper.

Yep, I sold last year after I started getting into dirt bikes. It just sat in the garage while I rode my dirtbike every day. I still have my WR450 as well for now but will likely go to just the YZ450 soon as it's the one I always grab even for trails.

• kcolyar

Posted January 08, 2007 - 02:16 PM

I have an 03, no problems and I bought it used. I had the valves adjusted when I bought it and they were in spec. I changed the jetting and am going to change exhaust. I revalved the suspension and resprung it. I love the bike fo 90% of the riding I do (sand washes, desert, Cainville and the occasional WORCS race) I wish I had a 2 stroke again for the other 10%. The bike is bullet proof and reliable. I think mine starts easier with the kick starter than the button. You just need to be honest with your self with what you want the bike for. Just my 2 cents.

• bullybull9

Posted January 09, 2007 - 05:04 AM

Ya the bike does kick over realy easy , after doing the mods , it starting to spin the tire alot , maybe have to change the rear tire .

• red7

Posted January 10, 2007 - 11:06 PM

Ya the bike does kick over realy easy , after doing the mods , it starting to spin the tire alot , maybe have to change the rear tire .

Yes, I really had to learn clutch and throttle control because it was a whole new ballgame after the mods.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.