I need WR450 input, good and bad.

57 replies to this topic
  • WR450_in_Turkey

Posted November 26, 2006 - 08:57 AM

I did the same as Jwar1r1t3. Went from a modified XR280 to an 03 WR450. The Wr felt much lighter in the turns than the XR except in the real tight stuff. The height can be a problem unless you are 6ft 6ins tall! You always end up with the weight leaning towards the drop side of an uneven trail. I did the starter mods as advertised and fitted a rekluse clutch to overcome some of the tight turns issues. The clutch makes a lot of difference but its no substitute for a lighter lower ride. Unfortunately the bike is still in Turkey and I am now in Fl trying to decide wether to ship it here or buy another!

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted November 26, 2006 - 10:46 AM

I didn't get one yet but I want to, I am trying to decide weather I should or not. I don't think the 250 will have enough power for me and the weight is probably not an issue becuase Im used to riding a very heavy bike the way it is.

As fas as the height, I could not really tell much difference in seat height from my XR, I touch my feet the same way on both bikes. I am 5'10 w/o shoes and I have no problem with tight trails. I would consider myself a fairly advanced rider, and have around 12 years expirience riding tough trails.

My main unanswered question is; How is the smoothness of the power delivery from idle when traveling at low speed in technical terrain????????

• StevePierson

Posted November 26, 2006 - 09:03 PM

I don't understand why weight is so much an issue. It isn't that much heavier, 13lbs more than the WR 250 isn't that much, I know because my XR 250 has extra tool packs on it and skid plates, hand gaurds that make it weigh at least 8 lbs heavier (dry weight 240lbs), which is more than the 450 weighs(246.9 lbs). I have absolutly no problem doing ANY tight woods terrain with the weight, and that machine is not designed to have as centralized weight as the new yamahas.

Dude..

The issue is not the weight itself, it is how it seems to be distributed across the chassis of the entire bike. For some reason, the WR450 weight seems to myself and many others, to be VERY top heavy:foul: . I have 3 buddies that have observed this trait.

Oh well, the WR250 is a great bike and im haveing a ball with it.:worthy:

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted November 26, 2006 - 09:53 PM

I don't think it will be as much of a problem for me, as I have been riding a 10 year old XR 250 that is VERY top heavy. I am looking into buying the 06 WR 450 this week.

I read the entire 20 pages of the "2006 Yamaha WR 450f Performance Mods?" thread and the only thing that is unclear is the grey wire removal. What exactly does that wire do to restrict that bike from performing?????

• Summit

Posted November 27, 2006 - 05:36 AM

I have an 05 450 and love it. Was all set to get a 250 but at the last minute got the 450 instead. I'm pretty old and just trail ride with it and it really doesn't feel heavy except when I want to put it on a bike stand. So I got a stand with a foot lever, problem solved. Love the power on big loose hills.

• StevePierson

Posted November 27, 2006 - 08:27 AM

I don't think it will be as much of a problem for me, as I have been riding a 10 year old XR 250 that is VERY top heavy. I am looking into buying the 06 WR 450 this week.

I read the entire 20 pages of the "2006 Yamaha WR 450f Performance Mods?" thread and the only thing that is unclear is the grey wire removal. What exactly does that wire do to restrict that bike from performing?????

Dude...

If yer riding the tight stuff,, go light,,, trust me,, the power issue is a non - issue in the tight / technical " stuff ". You will rarley use the power that the 450 has in the woods.

I got it, the fact that your current bike is heavy,,,I had an XR650R,, b4 the WR450f, so I get " heavy ". Then recently went to the WR250f. The 450 is really desgined for the open stuff, west of the Mississippi. Its NOT ,,, I repeat NOT the bike you want for the woods. There are simply better options out there.

Question for you, why bother changing bikes if your not going to have a significant improvement on one of the key attributes ?

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted November 27, 2006 - 08:43 AM

Well I do alot of open trails and long steep hill climbs that my 250 just can't do. I primarily ride with a group of 4 wheelers and ride on all the quad trails. I do like to do technical stuff too but I really want some power for when we are cruisin on fire roads and doing the steep loose hills at this old abandon coal mine. I feel that the 450 is the bike that will suit me well, and I will comprimise the weight and tight trail ability for more power that I have been desiring. I have modified my xr 250 to the point that there really isn't anymore power to obtain, so the 450 is what I have been loking for.

By the way, why does removing the grey wire aid in performance increase, was is it there for????????

• yz-dwg

Posted November 27, 2006 - 11:51 AM

I recently went from a YZ125 to an '06 WR450 and I can most certainly feel the wieght differance, but I ride desert trails, which can be very tight and technical and perfer the WR over the YZ every time, sure I dont use all the power of the 450 all the time, but its there when you need it and the WR feel more planted and trailable than the YZ........

• Tremor_socal

Posted November 27, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Gray wire info...have fun reading. :worthy:

http://www.thumperfa...m/gray_wire.htm

• Crabtree426

Posted November 27, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Crab...

Ok so heres my experiance with running a WR450f for 2 years in Illinois.

First, Im going to assume that you ride in the same kind of terrian that I do,,, the sand traps north of Cadilac Michigan, Kentucky, as in hills and mudd and the local stuff which is most likely simlar to what we have here. ( BTW,, doesn't the midwest SUCK for trail riding ???? God , it sux soooo bad ! )

Neways, I just sold my 450 and bought a WR250f. Im 46 weigh 215. Been riding since Carter was president.

For the tight stuff... forget the 450,, toooooooo top heavy. Power up the ass,, terrific engine when uncorked, especially for the woods, but they are just too heavy, its as simple as that. I would adamatly encourage you to pass on the 450 and spend your hard earned money on a WR250. Same desgin pholosphy going in on the part of Yamaha, set up for woods, lite, handles real nice, a little weak on the power, but once you adjust your style, you will be faster in the nasty stuff than most 450 anythings... Specifically, ya shift more, but who cares, get a rekluse with a laft hand rear brake on the bars.
Additionally, at the end of the day, you will not be exhausted as the lower weight = less energy expended.

More thoughts on the 450:

Power,,, power and more power. More then you will ever need on the shit we ride on.

Very reliable.

Stock suspension is very good.

@ 5'10, you will on a tippy toe,, so lower it via a seat and suspenion.

Bike is wheelie animal,, so have fun.

Over all, if I lived west of the Mississippi, it would be a good choice. But Im really glad that I got the 250.

Hope this helps..

Steve,
Thanks for the write up. I hear you on the midwest riding except S.E Ohio is great trail riding. I thought my buddies WR rode ok but I don't feel that it's any better then my YZ426F at least for the riding I do. So I guess i'm not going to but it. I'm kind of interested in the KTM XC450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StevePierson

Posted November 29, 2006 - 12:31 PM

Hey Crab...

My friend has a brand new XC 450. While not as top heavy as the WR it still is a beast in the tight stuff.... He is a reall good rider, grew up in Italy and rode all over the place there. But... he still fall over. I know, But im not gonna let up on the 250 bro:prof: :worthy:

I guess im a lunkhead,, but hey, iwish someone had been this stubborn with me in when I was buying my XR 650 r then ,, thinking the wr450 was better for trails... NOT...

Ne ways,,, so tell me, my budds and I are looking to doing some trail riding and camping in late Feb /Mar timke frame,, can you suggest ne thing around your neck of the woods?

thanx

• Crabtree426

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:18 PM

Hey Crab...

My friend has a brand new XC 450. While not as top heavy as the WR it still is a beast in the tight stuff.... He is a reall good rider, grew up in Italy and rode all over the place there. But... he still fall over. I know, But im not gonna let up on the 250 bro:prof: :worthy:

I guess im a lunkhead,, but hey, iwish someone had been this stubborn with me in when I was buying my XR 650 r then ,, thinking the wr450 was better for trails... NOT...

Ne ways,,, so tell me, my budds and I are looking to doing some trail riding and camping in late Feb /Mar timke frame,, can you suggest ne thing around your neck of the woods?

thanx

Wayne National Forest or Perry State Forest are the two big riding places in S.E. Ohio. PM me if you are in the area next Spring. As for the 250, my brother has a YZ250F. It is better in the tight stuff but I still like the power delivery on the bigger bikes for some of the riding I do.:D

• bullybull9

Posted November 30, 2006 - 09:48 PM

I just bought the wr450 and it is the biggest mistake I made in buying a bike ,, I haven't done any mods yet ,, this thing feels like a 125 ,, no power what so ever,, I think yamaha should be sued for false advertisement on this bike,, in the manual is tells you how to break in the bike ,, not to use to much throttlle,, how can you do that ,, there is no throttle ,, low , mid and high range?,, are you kidding me ,, there is nothing ,,,,and the mods ,, we shouldn't have to preform anything to the bike after paying over $6500 for a bike, keep your 4 stroke mx ,, and adapt it to the woods ,, don't buy a enduro,, you will be sorry

• Summit

Posted December 01, 2006 - 05:37 AM

no power what so ever

Really? Mine RIPS!!!!!

• whoops dude

Posted December 01, 2006 - 06:19 AM

I have an 05 wr450 but want to go back to a yz250. The weight is just too much for the majority of the trails. I just cant lean it over or cross ruts like on the yz. Its still a fun bike that is extremely fast, it just doesnt corner well.

practice makes perfect. I can corner better on my WR than a few guys I know can on their crf's.

• whoops dude

Posted December 01, 2006 - 06:26 AM

I just bought the wr450 and it is the biggest mistake I made in buying a bike ,, I haven't done any mods yet ,, this thing feels like a 125 ,, no power what so ever,, I think yamaha should be sued for false advertisement on this bike,, in the manual is tells you how to break in the bike ,, not to use to much throttlle,, how can you do that ,, there is no throttle ,, low , mid and high range?,, are you kidding me ,, there is nothing ,,,,and the mods ,, we shouldn't have to preform anything to the bike after paying over $6500 for a bike, keep your 4 stroke mx ,, and adapt it to the woods ,, don't buy a enduro,, you will be sorry

don't be lazy just do the free mods or have someone do them for you. you'll be so much happier with the bike after you do them, and my friends with mx fourstrokes can't hang with my wr on the open fire roads connecting trails and alot of them admit that there bikes aren't suitable for riding trails without mods.

• mangler

Posted December 01, 2006 - 07:43 AM

Dude something is wrong with yours! mine is an 03 and it has more power then you will ever use in the woods. :worthy:

• StevePierson

Posted December 03, 2006 - 12:52 PM

Bully,, definatly do the free mods. I agree with your asessment of the stock power, but remember the bike is street legal and set up for the emissions B.S.. They are WAY strangled on power, no doubt. BUT....... once you uncork it, you will be amazed at the power that motor has. I basically had a new bike after the mods were completed. But,, the wr250 is better for the trails, at least for me.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted December 03, 2006 - 02:08 PM

You should really open your eyes before you spew redundant rants about the stock performance of this bike. Obviously you are not very observant, otherwise you would have noticed the 2 stickys at the top of this forum, telling you exactly what the deal is with the bike. People like you are the ones responsible for frivilous lawsuits and uneccessary BITCHING. :D

These performance "chokes" are due to that fact that california is ridiculously anal about polution. The heavily restricted exhause, air induction system, throttle stop (uses less fuel when opened), grey wire (re-maps fuel to decrease emissions), and SUPER LEAN jetting all contribute to the lack of performance off the showroom floor.

Do us all a favor and read the 20 page thread "2006 WR 450 Performance Mods" under the WR performance index sticky and use the obviously NON POPULAR search feature before you even post another topic or redundant question on this forum. God that aggravates me :prof: :worthy: :bonk:

Sorry for the rant everyone but I felt that somone had to inform him. I know this topic covers anyones response about the performance of this bike, but people have to just read the previous posts before littering the forums with redundant crap.

• bullybull9

Posted December 04, 2006 - 05:01 PM

I desirved that ,, but does the dealership let the consumers know before they buy the bike how it runs and what needs to be done to make it run great,,NO
THEY DON'T ,, so I have a right to bitch and so does everyone else,, I have done just 2 mods so far,, and the bike has trippiled in power from stock form, In stock form this bike can't live up to yamaha claims ,, so I feel thats false advertisement .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.