I need WR450 input, good and bad.

Hey guys, here's my situation. My riding buddy's best friend is selling his 2003 WR450. It only has one season of riding on it. My riding buddy rides a KTM450and convinced him to buy one also in 2004. The WR has pretty much been sitting in his garage since. I currently ride a 2000 YZ426F which is set up for woods riding. What do you guys love and hate about the WR? I'm only 5'-10" tall. I heard that it sits and carries weight high. I'm going to try to take a look at it tomorrow. He wants $3000 for it. I have no complaints about my bike except for the not having push button start issue. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be easy to tell you to do a search but it may send you down so many paths you may end up more confused then you started. the '03 was the first year for the 450 and it had a few problems. the biggest were the starter system, flywheel key, and jetting. check with the owner if he had any flywheel key problems. these were tied to a poorly engineered starter system and improperly tightened flywheels. (keep in mind some owners had no problems at all, others had a lot of problems and spent the money to update to '04 parts) jetting was very lean.

it would take a long time to detail all these problems. i hope what i've written here will help you choose your searches a little better. find out what the owner has already done.

it would be easy to tell you to do a search but it may send you down so many paths you may end up more confused then you started. the '03 was the first year for the 450 and it had a few problems. the biggest were the starter system, flywheel key, and jetting. check with the owner if he had any flywheel key problems. these were tied to a poorly engineered starter system and improperly tightened flywheels. (keep in mind some owners had no problems at all, others had a lot of problems and spent the money to update to '04 parts) jetting was very lean.

it would take a long time to detail all these problems. i hope what i've written here will help you choose your searches a little better. find out what the owner has already done.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that he hasn't made any of those changes just from talking with my buddy.

But once you overcome those things, you are going to have a really good bike. I have an 05 and it is a great bike. I have to become a better rider to fully utilize it.

You are already familiar with Yamaha's, so the only surpise you'll have is a few extra pounds. But that weight sometimes makes for a smoother ride over rougher terrain.

So don't drop it and you will never feel that weight.

I love the instant "BANG":eek: of the 01' yz426, but even with a flywheel weight on the yz426, I still kill and kick a third of my day in the woods! I have a 03 wr450 with the 04 upgrades, maybe $300. bucks, very rarely does it die, or do I have to kick it and with a 14 front and a 51 rear their isn't a lot of differance!:cheers:

I have an 05 wr450 but want to go back to a yz250. The weight is just too much for the majority of the trails. I just cant lean it over or cross ruts like on the yz. Its still a fun bike that is extremely fast, it just doesnt corner well.

From what I have read VIN # 00014 thgough 2694 need mods flywheel and if it has had the mod they put a punch mark after the serial number hope this helps

I'm not sure I would trust the information Yamaha released on which Vin#s were suspect. Heck they didn't even want to admit there was a problem at first! That said the 03 is a great bike but I would plan on doing this mod if you get one.

http://www.wr450.com/photos/starter_mod/originals/index.htm

Besides the 03 starter issue, my 03 has been flawless. I upgraded to the 04 starter parts and otherwise haven't had to do anything but normal maintenance.

Couple of things to keep in mind: Its a tall bike and the stock seat isn't too comfortable. I had mine lowered and bought a softer seat. Now I'm set. :worthy:

I'm thinking about going to a wr 450 from an XR 250, and the WR is only 9 lbs heavier. I sat on an 06 today and it actually felt like it was lighter than my XR 250. And for some reason the throttle only felt like it opened up half way, is that a normal thing or is it a problem??? The bike only has 20 mi on the odometer and it has absolutly no digs or scratches, the tires don't even have any cuts!!

I'm thinking about going to a wr 450 from an XR 250, and the WR is only 9 lbs heavier. I sat on an 06 today and it actually felt like it was lighter than my XR 250. And for some reason the throttle only felt like it opened up half way, is that a normal thing or is it a problem??? The bike only has 20 mi on the odometer and it has absolutly no digs or scratches, the tires don't even have any cuts!!

2 weeks later....

Customer who just bought WR....."&%$#@!, dood I can't start my bike".

Sales guy, "Might be flooded".

I wouldn't recomend getting in the habit of turning the thottle without the bike running! Good way to flood the engine.

Check the sticky at the top of the group for info about the free mods. One of which is replacing the throttle stop so you can use full throttle. You also need to remove the exhaust plug and rejet the carb for sure.

I wouldn't recomend getting in the habit of turning the thottle without the bike running! Good way to flood the engine.

I have owned dirt bikes for 12 years and I know that it will flood. At the dealer I opened the throttle for only a second to see how the bike feels. The dealer probably won't even let me start it to see if I like it let alone putt around in the parking lot.

Anyway, how is the smoothness of the throttle on the 06 WR 450?? If it is anythinng like the suzuki R450 quadracer than that would suck. It is either on or off, and it is WAYY too snappy for trail riding, the response is instant but it is too jerky.

I rode an '03 before I bought my '05 and it is a great trail machine. The e start is the best thing to happen to dirt bikes since long travel suspension. Yes I miss the light weight and "feel" of the two strokes, but the thumpers are here to stay......and that's not a bad thing IMO.

Crab...

Ok so heres my experiance with running a WR450f for 2 years in Illinois.

First, Im going to assume that you ride in the same kind of terrian that I do,,, the sand traps north of Cadilac Michigan, Kentucky, as in hills and mudd and the local stuff which is most likely simlar to what we have here. ( BTW,, doesn't the midwest SUCK for trail riding ???? God , it sux soooo bad ! )

Neways, I just sold my 450 and bought a WR250f. Im 46 weigh 215. Been riding since Carter was president.

For the tight stuff... forget the 450,, toooooooo top heavy. Power up the ass,, terrific engine when uncorked, especially for the woods, but they are just too heavy, its as simple as that. I would adamatly encourage you to pass on the 450 and spend your hard earned money on a WR250. Same desgin pholosphy going in on the part of Yamaha, set up for woods, lite, handles real nice, a little weak on the power, but once you adjust your style, you will be faster in the nasty stuff than most 450 anythings... Specifically, ya shift more, but who cares, get a rekluse with a laft hand rear brake on the bars.

Additionally, at the end of the day, you will not be exhausted as the lower weight = less energy expended.

More thoughts on the 450:

Power,,, power and more power. More then you will ever need on the shit we ride on.

Very reliable.

Stock suspension is very good.

@ 5'10, you will on a tippy toe,, so lower it via a seat and suspenion.

Bike is wheelie animal,, so have fun.

Over all, if I lived west of the Mississippi, it would be a good choice. But Im really glad that I got the 250.

Hope this helps..

I have an 03 WR450, and yes it does sit tall and carry the weight up high. It's a great bike for riding open desert trails - great power, decent suspension, very stable at speed - but somewhat cumbersome for tight, slow woods riding. You can't flick it around like a 2 stroke, and if you get bumped off your line it takes a lot more energy to recover. You have to be a lot more deliberate in setting up for turns or lofting the front end. If you primarily ride woods I would consider buying a lighter bike or at least one with a lower CG.

I don't understand why weight is so much an issue. It isn't that much heavier, 13lbs more than the WR 250 isn't that much, I know because my XR 250 has extra tool packs on it and skid plates, hand gaurds that make it weigh at least 8 lbs heavier (dry weight 240lbs), which is more than the 450 weighs(246.9 lbs). I have absolutly no problem doing ANY tight woods terrain with the weight, and that machine is not designed to have as centralized weight as the new yamahas.

engine breaking is a great thing on the WR450, I love the power! It is big,tall, and very heavy, But when your on the side of a mountian and the guy in front of you stalls his bike with no place to go some times you wish you had the smaller, lighter bike. But it wouldn't have the enough umph to crawl over them and power up to the top. If you wan't the best of both worlds you need more than just one bike, Get the 450 & 250 both, You will always have a backup!