2006 WC skidplate question

6 replies to this topic
  • nickrl

Posted November 21, 2006 - 04:54 PM

Have the Works Connection unit on my new 2006 and I am pleased. Have owned several WC plates. Good motor coverage and takes advantage of the OEM Yamaha mounting design. A friend installed it for me initially, thus my question. Is there supposed to be any type of spacer between the frame and plate at the rear single mount? There seems to be considerable space between the rails and the plate. Yes, you can eliminate some by tightening the 8mm, but I am concerned about too much torque into alum. threads. I suppose one could use blue thread lock and live with it. Anyone? Thanks.

• DPW

Posted November 21, 2006 - 05:41 PM

Have the Works Connection unit on my new 2006 and I am pleased. Have owned several WC plates. Good motor coverage and takes advantage of the OEM Yamaha mounting design. A friend installed it for me initially, thus my question. Is there supposed to be any type of spacer between the frame and plate at the rear single mount? There seems to be considerable space between the rails and the plate. Yes, you can eliminate some by tightening the 8mm, but I am concerned about too much torque into alum. threads. I suppose one could use blue thread lock and live with it. Anyone? Thanks.

I put some washers in there to fill the gap on the rear mount.

• Reyndogg

Posted November 21, 2006 - 06:39 PM

I put some washers in there to fill the gap on the rear mount.

me too, while i was using it anyway :cheers:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rexbond007

Posted November 21, 2006 - 09:42 PM

Just finished fabricating a skid plate, do you think i made it to high, that it will make the engine run on the warm side?

http://www.members.s...ate-yzf-450.jpg

• Drfletcherdc

Posted November 21, 2006 - 10:45 PM

Mine fits snug against the frame. Since the vibration is kept to the minimum there is no noise issue.

• OcotilloBound

Posted November 22, 2006 - 11:57 AM

Just finished fabricating a skid plate, do you think i made it to high, that it will make the engine run on the warm side?

http://www.members.s...ate-yzf-450.jpg

I was more concerned about that piece of tubing dragging on the ground when you ride.
You must have lots of time on your hands and be riding in some pretty evil terrain to fabricate a plate of that size and weight. Seems a bit much to me. I think I'll stick to the carbon plate I have that is a bit lighter and more integrated than yours. Plus it doesn't look homemade either, which, while I don't really care too much what people think about how my bike looks, that plate looks a bit rough to put on my nice clean original bike. Kinda like putting a homemade spoiler on a new F430 Ferrari - it'll never look as good as factory unless you have the same people who make the factory ones make yours.

• rexbond007

Posted November 22, 2006 - 05:59 PM

I was more concerned about that piece of tubing dragging on the ground when you ride.

the tubing is the post in the garage behind the bike that holds a support beam.

time on my hands, I'm a welder/fabricator by trade.

as for riding, i ride hare scrambles and bush , jumping logs and hill climbs,
a flimsey track skid plate will be dented out and falling off in no time.

cost for this skid plate -$0
Protection for a $8000 bike - priceless

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.