slight throttle hesitation/surge

4 replies to this topic
  • kylwk1500

Posted November 21, 2006 - 01:35 PM

I ride an 06 450 that runs absolutely perfect all the way through the throttle range eccept when the throttle is just slightly cracked. Now when i get on it it has an excellent response, but when i am just running at a slight throttle (like betwwen tracks or trails, basically just putting) the bike has a bit of a surge or hesitation. It doesn't bother me greatly, but it might make the bike run a little better if i can remedy the problem. Just seein if any one has some ideas.

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2006 - 01:39 PM

Very light throttle opening is most influenced by the pilot circuit and the float level. Check the float to see if it's set low, and then play around with the fuel screw a little. What pilot jet are you running?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • whiteYZ

Posted November 21, 2006 - 02:35 PM

my 07 does the except same thing, thought maybe this was normal as this being my first four stroke, I am running stock jetting except dealer raised needle one clip and I have the fuel screw turned out 1 1/2 turns. Was 1 1/4 turns out but put quickshot on it and they recommended going out another 1/4 turn.

• whiteYZ

Posted November 21, 2006 - 02:50 PM

one thing though, I didnt have this surge before I installed the quickshot. Think I should try playing with the fuel screw some more?

• kylwk1500

Posted November 21, 2006 - 03:43 PM

ya i can't remember exactly what pilot is in there right now. I will have to look into it. I think it could be stock (i am the second owner). I will look into adjusting the fuel screw a bit though. I do have an fmf factory system with the mega bomb header. I just recently picked up the bike, and haven't had time to dial in the jetting just yet. Has anyone put a jdjetting kit on the new 450s? I had one on my old bike and loved it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.