2007 WR450 Performance Mods

314 replies to this topic
  • slr

Posted January 24, 2007 - 10:40 AM

Thank you but i don't need a key. But if i ever need to do it thanks for the tip. Thanks again

• SXP

Posted January 24, 2007 - 11:57 AM

a ttr keyed ignition switch , unplug the push button switch that turns on the power to the starter, unplug the wires from the plastic pc. buy a ttr90cc keyed switch unplug the wires and plug them in to the plastic pc. from the stock switch just plug it back in follow the same color code of wires NOW YOU HAVE A SWITCH WITH A KEY

I like the idea of a key. I like the added security aspect (perceived or not - the bike can be picked up and thrown into a truck), but don't like the idea of losing the key in the middle of BFE:eek:

• blackdog9

Posted January 24, 2007 - 04:48 PM

You are correct the grey wire is one of two grounds. That is precisely why it is disconnected. Because when it is grounded it tells the CDI to use a different advance curve (for the EPA crap). By ungrounding it it switches to the real world curve bringing out more performance. Its been this way since the first WR400 and it is the same now. Even Yamaha's instuctions in their AIS removal kit says to disconnect the grey wire.

Just a few moments finished some "free mods". 30 minutes of work and the baffle insert and grey wire were out. Bike running fine after that (ufffff). This weekend I´m taking it to the dunes to check for gains. ¿Would be a big gain to remove the IAS and Snorkels? ¿and the air screw? (I do not want to re-jet). ¿or should I just stop here..?
Thanks for these great site. Saludos amigos...from CHILE.
Posted Image

• WR_Dave

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:44 PM

Just make sure you have plugged the dreaded air filter hole, especially in that beautiful area in your pic!!! I'm sooo jealous, F&%#, I hate winter. WR Dave

• blackdog9

Posted January 24, 2007 - 07:15 PM

Just make sure you have plugged the dreaded air filter hole, especially in that beautiful area in your pic!!! I'm sooo jealous, F&%#, I hate winter. WR Dave

Plugged. First thing I checked... Used a rubber ear plug, and some loctite to make sure it won´t move....
Tomorrow I´m hitting some dunes!!

• msgbean

Posted January 25, 2007 - 08:09 AM

¿Would be a big gain to remove the IAS and Snorkels? ¿and the air screw? (I do not want to re-jet). ¿or should I just stop here..?[/IMG]

You get no performance gain by removing the AIS but you would by removing the snorkel. Don't forget the throttle stop.

• blackdog9

Posted January 25, 2007 - 09:54 AM

You get no performance gain by removing the AIS but you would by removing the snorkel. Don't forget the throttle stop.

¿How do you do the throttle stop? Is it in the handlebar, or in the carb, any pics?

• msgbean

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:16 AM

¿How do you do the throttle stop? Is it in the handlebar, or in the carb, any pics?

Its on the carb. On the WR it limits you to half-throttle. The best thing to do is replace it with one for a YZ. The other option is to remove it and cut it to 18mm in length (not counting the head). This will give you full throttle.

Posted Image

• blackdog9

Posted January 25, 2007 - 12:08 PM

Its on the carb. On the WR it limits you to half-throttle. The best thing to do is replace it with one for a YZ. The other option is to remove it and cut it to 18mm in length (not counting the head). This will give you full throttle.

Posted Image

THANKS A LOT FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE!!!! I´M AMAZED HOW USEFULL IS THIS FORUM. HERE IN CHILE IS KINDA DIFFICULT TO GET PARTS EASILY, WILL TRY THE YZ SCREW, IF NOT AVAILABLE I´M CUTTING IT.
THANKS A LOT AGAIN.....
SERGIO RAMOS- CHILE

• plastercity450

Posted January 27, 2007 - 06:23 PM

:ride: Finally, I had time to intall my AIS kit, gray wire mod, new core in silencer, remove throttle stop, and change the main jet to a 170. I didn't have a pilot jet on hand so I rolled the dice and ran it without but it is popping and sputtering just off idle which i can imagine is a result of not changing the pilot jet? I will pick up a pilot jet this week. Does anyone think I should do anything else like change the needle or? I do know that this thing thunders now with all these changes. If I can just stop the sputtering off the low end I will defenitley be stoked!:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crashthings

Posted January 28, 2007 - 06:44 AM

Well I just picked up my 07. I will ride it today and do the mods later. I can say I'm very interested to see what the bike will do. I currently have an 03. I do wonder why Yamaha thought I only needed a quarter throttle. Maybe so my wrist won't get tired. That I will have to fix, but later, I want to ride!

• Flytmech

Posted January 28, 2007 - 09:05 AM

Not sure if you have read this thread or not that I posted but you should. It has to do with a recall on the air filter cage. Check yours out and see if its got the right cage in there. Good luck and enjoy the riding, I am super pleased with my 07. Its hard to get used to the sound the motor makes with that dry sump and all. Anyway just thought I would pass on the info.
Im off to ride meself.....

http://www.thumperta...=454338&page=10

:ride: :ride:

• Stoy66

Posted January 29, 2007 - 06:24 PM

Newb question: Can you get to the needle, main, and install fuel screw w/o taking the carb off. My gosh is it a pain, no room for fingers in there. Need the tips and tricks. Thanks

• Yamdog

Posted February 01, 2007 - 08:47 AM

Does anyone need a AIS cover plate for their 2007 WR? ebay has this cover plate for the Yamaha Roadstar 04-07. This is what they look like. I had to mill one of the holes about 1-2mm and it fits great. I do have one extra since they come with two. good luck.

The extra plate has been SOLD.

Posted Image

• RSWR450F

Posted February 01, 2007 - 11:32 AM

AIS :

http://www.rsracing..../slides/57.html

RostaWR
www.rsracing.cz

• Rick_R

Posted March 02, 2007 - 12:13 PM

I just took a chance and went by the Yamaha shop by my work (which usually has nothing in stock), and low and behold they had an 07 GYTR AIS removal kit, with the block off plate, the #50 pilot, #175 main, #110 main air jet, leak jet, jet needle the YZ throttle stop and the vacuum plugs.
Should I just go ahead and put all these in or does it sound a little rich for the California desert. Any feedback will help.

Rick

• TyeeHusky

Posted March 02, 2007 - 02:18 PM

How did you get the 07 AIS removal kit already?

I just talked to Yamaha yesterday and they said it would not be released until 3/21.

Sounds like it is the correct kit since it has a 50 vs the 06 pilot.

Do you have the part number?

• clark4131

Posted March 02, 2007 - 02:35 PM

I just took a chance and went by the Yamaha shop my work (which usually has nothing in stock), and low and behold they had an 07 GYTR AIS removal kit, with the block off plate, the #50 pilot, #175 main, #110 main air jet, leak jet, jet needle the YZ throttle stop and the vacuum plugs.
Should I just go ahead and put all these in or does it sound a little rich for the California desert. Any feedback will help.

Rick

You better check the part number to make sure...SC

• Rick_R

Posted March 02, 2007 - 02:46 PM

It even says '07 WR450F on the kit.
P/N GYT5TJ936901
I know it's the right kit because they showed me the 06 kit also.
When I saw the block off plate I knew that was it.

Rick

• clark4131

Posted March 02, 2007 - 02:49 PM

Get it!...SC

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.